Windows 10: Mystery file in preview build hints at Windows 10 subscriptions

Discus and support Mystery file in preview build hints at Windows 10 subscriptions in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The latest preview build of Windows 10 comes with its own mystery. Buried in the System32 folder of build 14376, alongside 590 other .exe files, is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Mystery file in preview build hints at Windows 10 subscriptions

Read more: Mystery file in preview build hints at Windows 10 subscriptions | ZDNet

Brink, Jun 29, 2016
  2. Wynona Win User

I just saw that, Shawn. What's your take on it?

:)

Wynona, Jun 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Preview Pane Word Doc fix

Same deal for me. Windows 10, Office 2016 from 365 subscription. Ever since office 2016 was installed no preview for .docx files. All other formats including Excel and PP preview fine.

BILLPARTON59er, Jun 29, 2016
  4. Mystery file in preview build hints at Windows 10 subscriptions

downgrade windows 10 pro to home

There are online pc magazines which recently posted a link for downloading the latest Windows 10 preview insider build (14931). After installing it came out that this is not Win 10 but Win 10 pro. Formerly there was an option with recovery console [rstrui]
    to go back to previous installation. But once Win 10 pro is installed there is all of a sudden no way back, pc security mysteriously deactivated...

GopalMohan_das, Jun 29, 2016
  5. RWOne Win User
    Interesting.

Based solely on the entire article, I tend to lean on the side that it is for Enterprise, as they said. You'll never get a more definitive answer than that because they could reverse course at any time, that goes with the territory.

Let's think about it, those on earlier windows enterprise subscriptions would need to update to 10 and update the subscriptions, those on home units have already been told that after the 29th, it isn't free anymore, and there will be the holdouts that will then have to pony up the $$$. MS will make a bit off of that and the Enterprise upgrades.

Of course, Linux Mint 18 released this week too (I use KDE, have to wait a bit longer), I'll just leave that there for the fear mongers *Smile

RWOne, Jun 29, 2016
  6. swarfega Win User
    I think itl be like Office 365 but for Windows. So it probably won't affect existing packages such as retail packages and shouldn't affect most people unless they decide to go that route.

swarfega, Jun 29, 2016
  7. Winuser Win User
    I hope that its just my tin foil hat getting the best of me. I have always had the idea that eventually Windows 10 would be free updates and paid upgrades.

Winuser, Jun 29, 2016
  8. Dave44 Win User

it for Enterprise relax people

Dave44, Jun 29, 2016
  9. ARC1020 Win User
    I don't think Windows as a subscription makes much sense, at least not for the consumer market (business market is a bit different).

Now there's a Store built into Windows, once the store gets up to speed and offers pretty much everything, including proper full-fat software and AAA games, the last thing Microsoft will want to do is have people running for the hills by making them subscribe to use the OS (and they will run, myself included, as I won't use subscription software).

So for me, Windows as a subscription makes little sense in consumer land, if anything I can see Windows being pretty heavily subsidised for consumers due to it having a storefront. The one area that Microsoft is strong is the amount of proper full-fat software and AAA games that run on it and as a storefront both Microsoft and software developers will want as many people/wallets in that store as possible.

I am however still concerned that software developers themselves will try to make their software subscription only (following the likes of Adobe/Autodesk), which could become problematic for those of us who flat out refuse to subscribe to use software. But I'm sure there will always be alternatives as we have already seen with companies such as Serif Affinity using 'No Subscription' as an attractive selling point to gain those unhappy Adobe customers.

ARC1020, Jun 29, 2016
  10. RWOne Win User
    Well said and laid out!

RWOne, Jun 29, 2016
  11. ARC1020 Win User
    Well thank you kind Sir *tips fedora*. *Smile

ARC1020, Jun 29, 2016
  12. Wynona Win User
    Yeah, I'd suspect that eventually, Microsoft will have to charge for upgrades; however, this one will be major, so where will that line start? Maybe after everyone's forgotten that Windows 10 was a free upgrade for a whole year? *Smile

Wynona, Jun 29, 2016
  13. Wynona Win User

Could be, but why would it be there in the consumer version we all have. I have Pro now, but this machine came with Home. I can see that the Pro edition would have it, but is it in the Home version? I no longer have the Home version to check.

We already know that volume licensing applies to Enterprise, and that it's also been for companies with less than 250 employees, so I wouldn't go so far as to say it's for Enterprise only. There could be a new type of volume licensing for those smaller companies on the horizon.

Wynona, Jun 29, 2016
  14. swarfega Win User
    I sure won't be paying for updates.

swarfega, Jun 29, 2016
  15. Wynona Win User
    Agreed 100%.

That would be me passing you up and heading for some form of Linux! *Smile

The only software I subscribe to is the Microsoft Office Suite, and that only because it makes sense for me to have it on multiple computers and tablets. I have always upgraded Office with each new version anyway, so the subscription is less expensive in the long run.

I will not subscribe to Adobe, nor any other subscription based software as long as there are comparable free programs out there. Nuance just dropped off my list after my second purchase of PaperPort 14 had been installed too many times on the same computer!

Wynona, Jun 29, 2016
Thema:

1. Mystery file in preview build hints at Windows 10 subscriptions - Similar Threads - Mystery file preview

2. Windows Preview Builds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Preview Builds: My new PC has received several Preview Builds in Windows Updates over the last 36 hours. The only fix cough cough that I have found is to go to Windows Update > Windows Insider Program and either uncheck Preview Builds or unenroll from the program. I am not a member of the...
  3. Windows Preview Builds

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Preview Builds: My new PC has received several Preview Builds in Windows Updates over the last 36 hours. The only fix cough cough that I have found is to go to Windows Update > Windows Insider Program and either uncheck Preview Builds or unenroll from the program. I am not a member of the...
  4. Mystery file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mystery file: 1c7b1472-9b59-4652-9dde-f1dc675649cc Find in WER/temp folder but # changes after reboot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-file/731f8936-7e73-4c24-8a82-688e024eb67b
  5. windows 10 preview build 2004

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 preview build 2004: currently i am on windows 10 preview build 2004 19041.264 and do i have to install again when it will release for every one as stable ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-preview-build-2004/bca54e7d-49cb-45bd-b00b-6b2649de0db0
  6. Windows 10 20H1 build hints at old Microsoft Edge removal

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 20H1 build hints at old Microsoft Edge removal: Microsoft’s Chromium-based Edge first debuted on Windows 10 in April, and a month later it appeared on macOS and recently on Windows 7. Microsoft is also regularly updating the Edge browser with new features and improvements. Microsoft hasn’t revealed when it plans to remove...
  7. Windows Insider 10 Preview Build

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Insider 10 Preview Build: Is anyone else had problems installing Norton Symantec Anti-Virus software while using the preview build. Thank you! M. Skaggs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-insider-10-preview-build/f1346ee3-de1f-4d61-9b01-4c6d9d2e1ce5"
  8. Windows 10 Password Hint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Password Hint: How do I reset windows 10 using the password hint? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-password-hint/74ceec42-e0ba-4902-9577-a5ceabdbad6f
  9. Windows Preview build .. ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Preview build .. ?: Hello all I just check windows update and found this : [img] What is windows preview ? ..should I uninstall it ..? Thanks . 16939
  10. Microsoft Hints the Next Windows 10 Build Could Launch on Tuesday

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Hints the Next Windows 10 Build Could Launch on Tuesday: A leaked version of build 10036 is already up for grabs Windows 10 build 10036 got leaked during the weekend, but Microsoft is still working to finalize work on another official version, and according to some hints coming from within the company, the next release is very...