Windows 10: Mystery of the "sometimes" driver (sometimes works, sometimes not)..?

Discus and support Mystery of the "sometimes" driver (sometimes works, sometimes not)..? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have this old-ish Midi interface. The last driver was a windows 8 driver. So, I restart in unsigned driver mode and browse manually to the driver. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bansaw, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Bansaw Win User

Mystery of the "sometimes" driver (sometimes works, sometimes not)..?

I have this old-ish Midi interface.
    The last driver was a windows 8 driver. So, I restart in unsigned driver mode and browse manually to the driver. I made alterations in the .INF file so Win10 would be happier.
    Win10 loads it up but complains. So a bit sad I do a normal reboot. To my surprise, the driver has installed and the Device Manager shows the right name!! Great, it seems to have worked.

Then a few days later, it goes back to "unrecognized device". So I do the same procedure again and it complains but works! Then I use it happily for a few days, even rebooting into normal mode, and it works. But after a few days it goes off again!

This is really weird. Any advice?
    (1st image - not working) (2nd image - it works!)

:)

Bansaw, Sep 9, 2017

2. OneDrive sometimes works and sometimes not work in background.

I have to confirm again. But it seems that Viber makes a mass!

That is only software I installed and had error occurred

Regards

MilanBetter, Sep 9, 2017
  3. OneDrive sometimes works and sometimes not work in background.

Hi MilanBetter,

Thank you for posting in the forum.

In this situation, I would try to use Nokia Software Recovery tool:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/phones-and-hardware/recover-my-phone

Of course, please make sure that you backup your data. More info you can find here:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/back-up-my-stuff

Personally I would advise to backup your pictures, videos and music on your PC. Then when you will set up your phone again with Microsoft account please double check if any update is available for your phone and then please test apps in background.

Thanks for your contribution to the forums!

Kind Regards,

Michal TR

Michal TR., Sep 9, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
  5. Bansaw Win User
    OK thanks, I found something in there which lets me turn off automatic driver updating when windows is updated. I hope that fixes it. Looks hopeful. We'll see.

Bansaw, Sep 9, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Sep 9, 2017
  7. Bansaw Win User
    Actually I tried everything (above) and it worked for a few days, then the driver was knocked out again. So basically I am back to square one: a drive that works for days, then suddenly is knocked out.

Bansaw, Sep 15, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Can you identify an update just before the time that occurred?

dalchina, Sep 15, 2017
  9. Bansaw Win User
    Thanks. I used the Get-WindowsUpdateLog powershell to give me this:

Mode LastWriteTime Length Name---- ------------- ------ ----d----- 9/16/2017 3:23 PM SymCacheInput----------------File(s):
    C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170911.175236.692.2.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170911.180444.380.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170911.185115.095.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170911.190412.082.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170911.191539.327.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170911.213250.627.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170911.215024.786.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170912.073110.099.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170912.180544.683.1.etl C:\Windows\logs\WindowsUpdate\WindowsUpdate.20170912.180544.683.2.etl0.00%16.16%32.32%48.48%64.65%80 .81%96.97%100.00%

However, the driver was knocked out today sometime (16th Sept). It was working fine this AM, then lunchtime, it stopped working. Is there another way to see what happend to my computer at lunchtime. I gather from the above that the last update was 2017-09-12 , ie. a few days ago.

Bansaw, Sep 15, 2017
  10. Bansaw Win User
    And then in the control panel:

Mystery of the "sometimes" driver (sometimes works, sometimes not)..? [​IMG]

Bansaw, Sep 15, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Possible ideas:
    1. Reliability History (Type Reli in Cortana search e.g.)

2. Command Prompt
    Driverquery
    - I'm not certain if the date listed is the installation date though

3. Event log
    Event id 20001 is driver installation complete
    (You might need to research other possible event ids)

dalchina, Sep 15, 2017
  12. Bansaw Win User
    Aha, I did find a Windows Defender update at 12pm, just about the time when my driver failed.

But I looked into the settings and I can't find out where I can tell Defender to leave my drivers alone...?

Bansaw, Sep 15, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Seems a tad unlikely that would be the cause. You could enable your driver again and try disabling Defender I suppose to try to prove a point..

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mystery of the "sometimes" driver (sometimes works, sometimes not)..? - Similar Threads - Mystery sometimes driver

2. Specific laptop keys sometimes work, sometimes don't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Specific laptop keys sometimes work, sometimes don't: I have a Dell Inspiron 13 5310 laptop for 2 years now. Recentlyabout 2 weeks now I have had a problem with my keyboard. Sometimes specific sets of keys stop working. Most of the time, it is m,y,n,h,j,u. The other time it is space, enter, backspace but rarely. Then it starts...
  3. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't: Sometimes bluetooth stop working. And i have to restart the pc many times but still it doesn't work. I also tried to install bluetooth driver but things didn't work out....
  4. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't: Sometimes bluetooth stop working. And i have to restart the pc many times but still it doesn't work. I also tried to install bluetooth driver but things didn't work out....
  5. Sometimes bluetooth works and sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Bluetooth sometimes works and sometimes doesn't on startup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bluetooth sometimes works and sometimes doesn't on startup: Hi, my bluetooth has been acting very weird. When bluetooth works, it shows up in the notification bar and as expected, it works when paired. But when it doesn't, it disappears from the bar and I have no way to turn it back on unless if i probably do a restart. I have tried...
  7. Picture Application sometimes works , sometimes doesn't

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Picture Application sometimes works , sometimes doesn't: Hi sometimes when I open an image (.jpg or .png) with the picture application I either got : Picture application open but doesn't show the image (white picture) Picture application doesn't open and 10 sec/15 sec after windows say "the application has not started within the...
  8. Microsoft Photos Edits Sometimes Works, Sometimes Not

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft Photos Edits Sometimes Works, Sometimes Not: I use MS Photos a lot and do quite a bit of editing. For some reason, however, half the time my edits do not save. This happened suddenly and I cannot fix it. There is no error message. It almost seems like every other photo I edit, the edit does not save. Whether I save...
  9. Websites sometimes load and sometimes not

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Websites sometimes load and sometimes not: I have freshly installed Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 on my laptop. I've connected to my home wi-fi which works well without any problems on other devices and on the same machine with other Linux operating systems. Only on Windows, websites sometimes load, sometimes do not...
  10. Resume from sleep by mouse sometimes works, sometimes not

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Resume from sleep by mouse sometimes works, sometimes not: So since resume from sleep was introduced (perhaps 1990s), it always has had it share of problems. Now, on my Windows 10 system sleep and resume from sleep work as I want, except sometimes resume does not work. I have tried to pinpoint the cause for it, but I have no idea...