Windows 10: Mystery "stuck key" issue

Discus and support Mystery "stuck key" issue in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there everyone! My daughter was playing WoW with me a couple nights ago when all of a sudden her mouse and keyboard started acting oddly. The best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by schwim, Mar 19, 2020.

1. schwim Win User

Mystery "stuck key" issue

Hi there everyone!

My daughter was playing WoW with me a couple nights ago when all of a sudden her mouse and keyboard started acting oddly. The best I can explain it is that Windows thinks she's pressing the CTRL or Windows key. I am sharing a potato video to explain some. Basically, she can't type anything because most of what she types acts like a hotkey.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp-cDPIKUVc

In that video, she entered the cursor into the URL bar. Typing g brought up a search box, typing o brought up a file explorer, scrolling the mouse wheel resized the icons in the file explorer.

These are not the only issues, they are just a demonstration of what is happening when she tries to use most of the keys.

We have swapped the keyboards and the issue has persisted with the second keyboard (first was wired, second is wireless). The mouse is a Logitech MMO mouse with the numbers on the side but the issue persists even when the mouse is unplugged.

I'm not sure what could have possibly occurred when this issue began other than some unfortunate keypress that has changed some weird setting.

I would love some assistance as we're out of ideas short of a reinstall of Windows. We tried to get the Windows version for you but her typing winver opens various boxes instead of showing the expected result.

thanks for your time!

:)

schwim, Mar 19, 2020
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Mar 19, 2020
  3. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Mystery "stuck key" issue

Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

Mystery "stuck key" issue

1. Mystery "stuck key" issue - Similar Threads - Mystery stuck key

2. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?: While trying to solve another issue I found these weird key combinations with uncertain functions. BTW, my PC is DELL XPS 13 9310, Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.What are these keys? And is it documented somewhere? Are there more such functions?Key combinationScan codeTested...
  3. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?: While trying to solve another issue I found these weird key combinations with uncertain functions. BTW, my PC is DELL XPS 13 9310, Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.What are these keys? And is it documented somewhere? Are there more such functions?Key combinationScan codeTested...
  4. What are these mysterious Fn+[key] functions?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Mystery Driver causing energy issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mystery Driver causing energy issues: I've been having a problem with my laptop's screen turning off when it should be entering sleep - except it is only the screen that shuts off, and I cannot get it to "wake up." In investigating this issue, I ran powercfg /energy and it seems there is a mystery driver called...
  6. Issues with HP laptop and recent update- stuck key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues with HP laptop and recent update- stuck key: Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or recommendations. My HP laptop recently had some windows updates 2020-08 Cumulative update for net.framework for windows 10 version 1903 for x64 KB4569571 and various security intelligence updates I can provide the...
  7. Mysterious Win 10 Issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mysterious Win 10 Issues: So for months now I have been having a series of issues with Windows 10. The biggest issue being seemingly random reboots. The only clue I have found in regards to this is a Bugcheck Error that I can see in the Event Viewer. Which occurs every time the reboot occurs. On top...
  8. Keyboard issue. Windows key suddenly virtually ‘stuck’

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Keyboard issue. Windows key suddenly virtually ‘stuck’: Out of the blue, I go to type on my keyboard and suddenly it’s only typing windows shortcuts. For instance, r would open run, f would open feedback, s would open start. I unplugged my keyboard and plugged it back in. Now types normally for the most part but now it doesn’t...
  9. Number stuck, no stuck key

Number stuck, no stuck key: Random number stuck on with no stuck keys, Have to restart to stop infinite number . HP OPP All-in-One https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/number-stuck-no-stuck-key/1388027c-e313-4d25-b719-807e7638fac4
  10. Touchscreen Issue : Keys Stuck after using Touchscreen

Touchscreen Issue : Keys Stuck after using Touchscreen: Hello there, my Problem is as simple as anoying. When I am using my Touchscreen it happens randomly that my CTRL + WIN Key stuck but not physically. I just need to enter Energy-Save mode and relog into my win account and its gone but this is just a workaround. I read much...