Windows 10: Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com

Discus and support Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; For reference this is what I was referring to- it's exactly the same as the option directed you to- just shorter to type! [img] Like Yogi Berra,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by theTastyCat, May 29, 2017.

1. f14tomcat Win User

Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com

Like Yogi Berra, "When you get to the fork in the road, take it." *Smile One less click, though. It's already there.

Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Jun 2, 2017
  2. dalchina New Member

I just find 3 words easier to remember.... *chuckle

dalchina, Jun 2, 2017
  3. Good to know!

So I spent an hour and a half with MS tech support last night, most of it with him remotely logged in to my PC. Tried many of the very things you all had suggested (and I'd tried.) Finally he did another Windows reinstall and said things should be fine after; unfortunately same old. Our remote session had timed out by that time so I'll have to give it another go later on. But it was nice to know tech support actually does exist and they're reasonably competent! Will report back.

theTastyCat, Jun 2, 2017
  4. DavidY Win User

I'm guessing that something was misconfigured on your computer. Assuming you didn't do a clean install of 1703 and did an upgrade, the upgrade process has dutifully copied across that misconfiguration to the new version.

What happens if you open up a command prompt window (doesn't need to be admin-level) and type?:
    Code: ping download.microsoft.com[/quote] Here's what I get, although I don't always get the same IP address. Note I haven't updated to 1703 yet though.

I saw a post on another forum which suggests a DNS issue, although this was quite an old post and related to Windows 7.

DavidY, Jun 2, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Open the windows defender security center > virus and threat prevention > advanced scan > Windows defender offline scan
    It will reboot, load, and run a quick scan.
    Let us know the result.

Open control panel > troubleshooting > view left pane and click view all > run network internet connection troubleshooters.
    View the detailed information of each troubleshooter and report the finding in the forum.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste all of these commands as one batch:
    Net stop bits
    Net stop wuauserv
    Net stop appidsvc
    Net stop cryptsvc
    Del %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat /Q
    Del "%HOMEDRIVE%\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat" /Q
    Del %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\*.* /s /Q
    Net start bits
    Net start wuauserv
    Net start appidsvc
    Net start cryptsvc

Reboot
    Run windows update and report any KB# or failed error code.

zbook, Jun 4, 2017
  6. Will do tonight, zbook - thanks so much!

theTastyCat, Jun 6, 2017
  7. Been over my head with work, guys - sorry that I haven't had time to figure this out. SO.

I've been editing video for every waking hour for two days, and was having a devil of a time today for some reason getting my phone to stay connected, which never happens - I think I need to reinstall the USB drivers. Anyway, while I was look for that in the program (PdaNet), I happened upon this:

At first I stared in disbelief..then there was a moment of dawning comprehension.......so I unblocked it, but still no luck; then I ran the Windows Update Reset recommended here...and it's working like a charm. I can even access download.microsoft.com - not that I really need to except for this!

So - thank you all so very much for all the time and attention you gave to my issue. I am over the moon that it's fixed and greatly appreciate all of your help in the process. This is a great place! Thank you all again.

theTastyCat, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com - Similar Threads - Mystery hasn't run

2. Problems with WU for one download only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with WU for one download only: HP - Printer - 3.2.1.2285 has failed to install on my laptop for the past few days. Today though I had a bunch of updates to install without issue. For the past few days, this particular one comes back with "Install error - 0x800f020b".Any advice is welcome.RF...
  3. Can't be bothered waiting for WU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't be bothered waiting for WU: I can't be bothered waiting for 22H2 to show via WU; who knows how long it might be to arrive there, so... I am using MCT to have it, now. It is "in progress" as we speak.Cheers,Drew...
  4. Can't be bothered waiting for WU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't be bothered waiting for WU: I can't be bothered waiting for 22H2 to show via WU; who knows how long it might be to arrive there, so... I am using MCT to have it, now. It is "in progress" as we speak.Cheers,Drew...
  5. Can't run iTunes downloaded from Microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't run iTunes downloaded from Microsoft store: Hi there, recently I started to get this error when my computer starts up:If I try to run iTunes - nothing happens.The Microsoft Store shows that iTunes is installed and then I try to run it by hitting the "Open" button I'm getting the same errorUnfortunately, I can't...
  6. Photo download mystery

in Windows 10 Support
    Photo download mystery: Prior to the "new" windows 10 update, I was able to upload new photos to my Documents and they would show in a new folder with the current date. Now that I have updated my windows 10, this has changed, and my photo files go directly to \OneDrive\Pictures they show as...
  7. Can't fix WU Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't fix WU Error: I have tried all the suggestions but cannot fix WU. I get error 0x8007000d when I try to install the suggested updates. I finally got the .NET update to install but none of the cumulative updates will. They all error with that code. 168104
  8. WU automatically started downloading and installing the "Preview" update, ignoring WU...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WU automatically started downloading and installing the "Preview" update, ignoring WU...: Today I decided to apply the July Cumulative updates. Configuration: Windows 10 Pro 1909 Windows Update configured with the Group Policy of "Configure Automatic Updates" set to "2 - Notify for download and auto install" (Registry settings for AUOptions reflect that - they...
  9. Discussing operational MOs...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Discussing operational MOs...: There is much talk & many approaches to Pinning, Start menu, Tiles or NOT, full-screen Start, desktop icons (& or shortcuts) & these showing OR NOT & more. It the midst of it all, sharing these pics. A rarely used Start menu, an oft used Applications window & a clean, clear,...
  10. Mystery COM Surrogate crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery COM Surrogate crashes: Does anyone at all have any good suggestions on troubleshooting these? I seem to be getting these at random times, with no rhyme or reason. The faulting module is quite often, but not always mso20win32client.dll, but I've seen mso30win32client.dll once, or none indicated...