Windows 10: Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com

Discus and support Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey all - just happened to notice that WU has not been updating. I built this PC a year and a half ago; it claims to have last checked for updates on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by theTastyCat, May 29, 2017.

1. Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com

Hey all - just happened to notice that WU has not been updating. I built this PC a year and a half ago; it claims to have last checked for updates on Dec. 2, 2016. "Update history" claims "no updates have been installed yet." Hmm.

So I tried several of the suggested fixes here and elsewhere, including resetting WU, SFC command, and started poking in the registry, where I noticed that finally went to download the WU fix-it utility.....and I discovered that in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows, I don't have a "windowsupdate" folder like I should. I ran AVG and Malwarebytes and they claimed to have found and quarantined some malware, but no success. So I went to download the Windows Update Troubleshooter, and my brower (Chrome or IE) will not connect to download.microsoft.com.

SO

Is it possible a virus/malware (though they should all be cleaned up now, but the issue persists) has both removed Windows Update from my registry *and* is actively preventing me from connecting to Microsoft to fix this?? This really is a weird issue!

Thanks so much for reading all of this - I would greatly appreciate your expertise!!

:)

theTastyCat, May 29, 2017
  2. Sumit Dhiman2, May 29, 2017
  3. HTC 8525 : Not able to browse through internet explorer on GPRS connection?

Hi,

I have an ASUS P750: Windows Mobile 6, Airtel connection

I tried similar steps to configure GPRS:

Start > Settings > Connection > Connections > My ISP

Name : MO

Select a Modem : Cellular line (GPRS)

Next

Access point Name : airtelgprs.com

Next

Finish....

I have disabled proxy setting, but still can't connect to the internet.

Please help. Thanks.

Balaji Krishnamurty, May 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com

If you've had malware on your system, anything could potentially have happened, as you know.

Whilst you could try (as an outside possibility) Tweaking.com's repair tool (free, observe the cautious stages, only select the relevant repair) it's quite likely your only options are
    a. manually upgrade to the latest Windows edition (recommended step time-wise and the most straightforward, but a potential risk as it is a build change)
    or
    b. an in-place upgrade repair install (takes you BACK to the base build of the Anniversary Edition - presumably the build you are using). (I only mention this as a way of repairing what you have already).

Doing (b) means you would eventually upgrade to the Creator's Upgrade anyway.

So let's assume you will manually upgrade to the CU.

1. Create a disk image of what you have now (Macrium Reflect (free) + external image storage. Option Windows Backup).
    - this protects you if something goes wrong- and it can.

2. Get the Win 10 iso file
    Download Windows 10 ISO File Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    3. Create bootable medium
    Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    (Or use a DVD)
    I recommend doing either so you have a bootable version to use for repairs etc if necessary.
    4. Upgrade (this includes some of the above instructions)
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

dalchina, May 29, 2017
  5. DavidY Win User
    If you've had malware then all bets are off, as dalchina suggests, and I totally agree that taking a backup image is your first step.

Just to share some of my experiences in trying to unblock Windows Update:

The windows update troubleshooter from Microsoft is a fairly small file (less than 200KB last time I tried it). If you have access to another computer you could perhaps email it to yourself if you don't have another way to transfer it?

The one which worked for me is Reset Windows Update in Windows 10. However I did have to manually disable the Windows Update service and restart the computer before that batch file would run for me, which is worth doing if the service didn't stop when you tried it?

Another thing which causes Windows Update to get stuck for me is the box within Advanced Options which says "Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows". I had to untick that to free up Windows Update, presumably because some other software (not Windows itself) was jamming up the works.

DavidY, May 29, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Open administrative command prompt and run these commands:

1) winver (view the pop up and post the windows version and build into the forum)
    2) sfc /scannow
    3) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    4) chkdsk /scan

Right click on the top bar of the administrative command prompt box then left click edit then select all. Then right click the top bar again, then left click edit then copy. Then paste the results of the above commands into the forum.

Open the Microsoft easy fix and run the windows update troubleshooter:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-fix-solutions

Alternatively open control panel > troubleshooting > left pane click view all > then run any of the troubleshooters to improve the performance.

zbook, May 29, 2017
  7. Had the same problem and now it's fixed.
    First I ran sfc /scannow just because that's what I do at the first sign of file 'corruption'
    Run SFC Command in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Then
    It took me 2 tries to Stop the service, it kept saying cannot be stopped, finally stopped it then I could Disable it.

Backup for peace of mind, see my Sig

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, May 29, 2017
  8. Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com

Guys, thank you all so very much for taking the time to post these incredibly helpful posts. I think since I'm missing the entire WU folder from my registry, I may be wise to assume that malware has been up to no good. I think I'm going to start with the manual update as laid out above - will report back!!

This is very interesting especially given all the publicity of the recent ransomware attacks - it wouldn't seem out of the realm of possibility for those responsible to try in advance to suppress the very updates that would close the loophole in question. I'll sleep better tonight when this is hopefully working!

9. ................so I can't complete the Macrium Reflect disk image because it wants to download a file from: download.microsoft.com *Smile

AND ALSO

.......I can't redownload Windows because it wants to download a file from: download.microsoft.com *Smile

So I'm going to try to download both of these things somewhere else and throw them on a USB drive. Man, frustrating!!

10. DavidY Win User
    It's perhaps not surprising that Windows Update doesn't work, as it will no doubt be trying to download from there too.
    Is it possible that something on your Wifi box/ router/ etc. (rather than the computer) is blocking that URL?

DavidY, May 29, 2017
  11. Good question, David. Since I'm grandfathered into unlimited data on my phone and 4G is lightning fast, I connect through it and have for ten years. I've never had a problem accessing any other site, so I'd say I'd be surprised if that were the case. Tonight or tomorrow I'll see if I can get a laptop to access download.microsoft.com - ought to give a good answer on that. Thanks again for all the help! Will report back.

theTastyCat, May 30, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    Which carrier are you grandfathered with? Unlimited data often comes with fine print (data is unlimited for phone use but throttling begins after X amount of data is used, or unlimited data is not unlimited for tethering and that is limited to 3 GB/mo). If you have unlimited data with no throttling and unlimited data for tethering then you have an amazing plan. If you download and install speedtest what speeds are you getting when you use the data plan?

What is the make and model of your computer?
    Each computer manufacturer has a F key so you can boot to a device.
    This would enable you to boot to the USB flash drive without having to change the bios boot order.
    If you have a custom built computer then you would need to change the boot order.

zbook, May 30, 2017
  13. DavidY Win User

Something which occurred to me - could you download a Linux Live installation?
    Then boot Linux from a USB drive or whatever, and use Linux to download the Microsoft stuff - for instance the .ISO installer for Windows. It would also eliminate (or otherwise) some possible issues with it being an issue with your network blocking microsoft.com rather than your Windows installation.

(But I've no idea of the practicalities as Linux is outside my comfort zone.)

DavidY, May 30, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    The best way forward if you have significant corruption is indeed to upgrade manually and so get a new copy of Windows, assuming there is not further damage that prevents the upgrade.

I can't recommend trying to use a boot disk to download an iso.

Whilst it is of course possible to download any of the isos produced by MS (legitimately) e.g. by using a boot disk such as Kyhi's (top of the Software and Apps section here, Win 10 based), you would need to make sure you're getting the right one- base language, Home/Pro - same iso => either depending on your previous activation or license, x32 vs x64, etc etc - and of course the current build. If you used a boot disk then you'd need to manually select the iso and you'd need to know the appropriate URL to use to access the library of isos.

If the other PC uses a similar Windows edition, language etc, then it should be no problem.

dalchina, May 30, 2017
  15. DavidY Win User
    I'm probably being dumb here, but isn't the URL simply this? :
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...oad/windows10/

I agree some care is needed to select the right edition etc. though.

DavidY, May 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Mystery..WU hasn't run for 6 mos, can't connect download.microsoft.com - Similar Threads - Mystery hasn't run

2. Problems with WU for one download only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with WU for one download only: HP - Printer - 3.2.1.2285 has failed to install on my laptop for the past few days. Today though I had a bunch of updates to install without issue. For the past few days, this particular one comes back with "Install error - 0x800f020b".Any advice is welcome.RF...
  3. Can't be bothered waiting for WU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't be bothered waiting for WU: I can't be bothered waiting for 22H2 to show via WU; who knows how long it might be to arrive there, so... I am using MCT to have it, now. It is "in progress" as we speak.Cheers,Drew...
  4. Can't be bothered waiting for WU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't be bothered waiting for WU: I can't be bothered waiting for 22H2 to show via WU; who knows how long it might be to arrive there, so... I am using MCT to have it, now. It is "in progress" as we speak.Cheers,Drew...
  5. Can't run iTunes downloaded from Microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Can't run iTunes downloaded from Microsoft store: Hi there, recently I started to get this error when my computer starts up:If I try to run iTunes - nothing happens.The Microsoft Store shows that iTunes is installed and then I try to run it by hitting the "Open" button I'm getting the same errorUnfortunately, I can't...
  6. Photo download mystery

in Windows 10 Support
    Photo download mystery: Prior to the "new" windows 10 update, I was able to upload new photos to my Documents and they would show in a new folder with the current date. Now that I have updated my windows 10, this has changed, and my photo files go directly to \OneDrive\Pictures they show as...
  7. Can't fix WU Error

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't fix WU Error: I have tried all the suggestions but cannot fix WU. I get error 0x8007000d when I try to install the suggested updates. I finally got the .NET update to install but none of the cumulative updates will. They all error with that code. 168104
  8. WU automatically started downloading and installing the "Preview" update, ignoring WU...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WU automatically started downloading and installing the "Preview" update, ignoring WU...: Today I decided to apply the July Cumulative updates. Configuration: Windows 10 Pro 1909 Windows Update configured with the Group Policy of "Configure Automatic Updates" set to "2 - Notify for download and auto install" (Registry settings for AUOptions reflect that - they...
  9. Discussing operational MOs...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Discussing operational MOs...: There is much talk & many approaches to Pinning, Start menu, Tiles or NOT, full-screen Start, desktop icons (& or shortcuts) & these showing OR NOT & more. It the midst of it all, sharing these pics. A rarely used Start menu, an oft used Applications window & a clean, clear,...
  10. Mystery COM Surrogate crashes

in Windows 10 Support
    Mystery COM Surrogate crashes: Does anyone at all have any good suggestions on troubleshooting these? I seem to be getting these at random times, with no rhyme or reason. The faulting module is quite often, but not always mso20win32client.dll, but I've seen mso30win32client.dll once, or none indicated...