Windows 10: "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?

Discus and support "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! Today I noticed something that wasn't there in past days: "n/a" entries in Autoruns in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JoeMcLutz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. JoeMcLutz Win User

"n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it?

Hi!
    Today I noticed something that wasn't there in past days:
    "n/a" entries in Autoruns in
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components
    and
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components

Respective registry entries:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89B4C1CD-B018-4511-B0A1-5476DBF70820}
    and
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89B4C1CD-B018-4511-B0A1-5476DBF70820}

...and images as well:
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
    and
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\rundll32.exe

What about them? Why are they showing up? Can I safely prevent 'em from starting?
    Thank You.

:)

JoeMcLutz, Sep 21, 2017

2. cmd.exe Application Error Windows 10 (0xc0000142)

There were no entries in your log. The log file was corrupt.

---------------------------

AutoRuns

The file is corrupt

OK

Autoruns is not populating the entries. Pls try from safe mode.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 21, 2017
  3. Lumia " The Future is Here "

This is a support forum, not a complaints department.

I suggest you directly submit your complaints about hardware to Nokia and software to Microsoft.

Also it often helps to read reviews when switching platforms to make sure it suits your needs. From what you've said the Lumia 820 clearly doesn't suit you.

psychomania---01, Sep 21, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

No worries.

I got the same exact ones. If you want to disable them, do some research on:
    • Microsoft .NET IE SECURITY REGISTRATION
    • mscories.dll

I looked up both on the net, yet they seem okay. Has to do with the NET framework, even though I never installed that on my computer. I wouldn't disable them, but if you want to take that risk, I don't think your computer will completely stop working.

"n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it? [​IMG]

pepanee, Sep 21, 2017
  5. JoeMcLutz Win User
    Hi pepenee!
    Thanks for the feedback! The thing I was worried about is that they weren't there few days ago... So I suspected about some malware infection. I think I'll leave 'em there. *Smile
    You're too kind, thanks again for your answer. *Smile
    Greetings,
    Joe

JoeMcLutz, Sep 22, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    You're welcome Joe. I remember when I used to look at all the startup apps that are in the Autoruns program. I liked to do research on them by looking online and seeing if certain 'suspicious looking' files were actually malware or not. I wasn't able to find anything bad on my computer, and eventually reached the conclusion that I don't download 'very risky' files or accidentally open any spam advertising pages or whatnot. Also Windows 10, generally speaking, is a really secure operating system, so I'm not really worried.

But if you want, there's still many good and free antivirus apps out there to make things even more secure. It's up to you =)

pepanee, Sep 22, 2017
  7. I think, those are related to NET Framework, you do not need them.
    I remove all startup entries, except those, I have approved myself.

TairikuOkami, Sep 22, 2017
  8. JoeMcLutz Win User

Yes! *Smile Me too! And I almost always poke my nose in event viewer too! *Biggrin

Neither do I: I provide myself with Sandboxie when I don't trust something.

Yes I use Avast Free since ages. And Firefox (a bit slow and stuttering but I think one of the most secure) with NoScript and Malwarebytes anti-rootkit and anti-malware... As well as Virustotal.com and some other web sites checkers like sitecheck.sukuri.net, unmaskparasites.com, and so on. But sometimes, although I am very cautious, something "strange" happens (like Ccleaner issues in last 15 august -fortunately I run 64bit version-) and it's almost beyond my forecasts and capabilities.

Greetings! *Smile
    Joe

JoeMcLutz, Sep 23, 2017
  9. JoeMcLutz Win User
    Yes they are! *Smile
    Well, since they don't seem to harm anything I'll let 'em there and, maybe, they'll go away just like they came in during next upgrade... Who knows?
    By the way: I noticed you unchecked Gather Network Info... Is it safe to uncheck?
    Thanks! Bye! *Smile

JoeMcLutz, Sep 23, 2017
  10. I suppose it is only needed for troubleshooting purposes.
    I have setup a static IP and DNS servers, so I do not need that.

TairikuOkami, Sep 23, 2017
  11. JoeMcLutz Win User
    Yes, I'm on static IPs and DNS too. I'll try deactivating it.
    Thanks! *Smile

JoeMcLutz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "n/a" entry in Autoruns listings: what is it? - Similar Threads - entry Autoruns listings

2. What are these duplicate entries in my Windows 11 app list?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are these duplicate entries in my Windows 11 app list?: When I open apps setting in my windows 11 control panel why I see a lot of duplicate app entries, and these are not even apps so why are they even showing up here? Following are screenshots:...
  3. Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?: I was checking around autoruns and wasn't sure if this was normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-normal-for-some-microsoft-entries-to-appear/d3990e1e-ea59-434c-bd5c-77b7f17137d6
  4. Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?: I was checking around autoruns and wasn't sure if this was normal. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-it-normal-for-some-microsoft-entries-to-appear/d3990e1e-ea59-434c-bd5c-77b7f17137d6
  5. Is it normal for some Microsoft entries to appear as not verified on autoruns?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Autoruns Entry..File Not found

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Autoruns Entry..File Not found: I was doing my daily auto runs check and immediately noticed a new entry in yellow file not found Name=fiddvr64 It's supposed to be in System32\fiddvr64.sys. Anyone know what is? TYIA [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  7. Autoruns: Puzzling entries

Autoruns: Puzzling entries: I don't recall seeing these entries before, but what is puzzling me is the timestamp - 1975? [img] *Confused 128580
  8. SafeBoot Entry Showing in Autoruns

SafeBoot Entry Showing in Autoruns: I happened to run Autoruns and noticed the first entry showing as: "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\AlternateShell" "" "" "" "6/17/2017 1:07 AM" "" + "cmd.exe" "Windows Command Processor" "Microsoft Corporation" "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" "5/30/2017 3:10...
  9. Reset the autoplay/autorun devices list

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Reset the autoplay/autorun devices list: In autoplay settings, i have the list of each device i connected so far. How do i remove them? 60251
  10. Missing Livessp Entry in Autoruns LSA Providers Tab?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Missing Livessp Entry in Autoruns LSA Providers Tab?: I found this missing entry for livessp in the LSA Providers tab when running Autoruns. Does anyone know what this is and whther its important? [img] 65208

Users found this page by searching for:

1. n/a microsoft .net ie security registration (verified) microsoft corporation c:\windows\system32\mscories.dll 8/7/2018 8:18 pm

2. HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components n/a in autoruns