Windows 10: Name in C:\Users folder is lowercase. Can I change this?

Discus and support Name in C:\Users folder is lowercase. Can I change this? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just activated Windows 10 Home using my Microsoft account, and I noticed my user folder on the computer is lowercase. So, if my real name is Benny,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TempoRarely, May 14, 2019.

1. Name in C:\Users folder is lowercase. Can I change this?

I just activated Windows 10 Home using my Microsoft account, and I noticed my user folder on the computer is lowercase. So, if my real name is Benny, and my email is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***, Windows automatically creates the folder C:\Users\benny. I would really like to change this, so my user folder is capitalized like other Windows folders to C:\Users\Benny. There doesn't seem to be a direct way to do this.

I have a workaround in mind. Can anybody tell me if this will work? I plan to create a temporary local account, we'll call Tempo, so then I have two user accounts: benny and Tempo. Then I will assign Tempo as an administrator, restart, log-in to Tempo, and delete benny. (I assume this also disassociates my Microsoft Account.) So now I only have Tempo. Then, I will create a new local account, Benny, make them an administrator, log-in to Benny, and delete Tempo.

I have two questions before I try this:

• First, is there any concern that Windows could confuse old benny with new Benny, since they're essentially the same name? (Or is old benny completely removed?)
    • Second, my Windows license is linked to my Microsoft account. Will I experience any problems when I delete the original benny user account?

Alternatively, is there a better way to do this? Thanks.

:)

TempoRarely, May 14, 2019

2. Windows 10 Misspells User Name on C: Folder

I've seen this problem mentioned in several comments and messages going back to August 2016, and no one has effectively addressed it.

I got a new laptop, and after setting it up I realized that the C: folder's name is my first name, but misspelled -- the last letter of my name is missing. It's also all lowercase.

Someone from Microsoft blithely replied that we could just change the name of the folder. You all know we can't change the name of the C: folder. It's locked.

A forum user suggested deleting the entire connected Microsoft account and re-creating the setup on the computer. I would do this, but since the error was Windows' and not mine, how can I expect that to work? I certainly didn't create the folder with my
    own name misspelled.

Can you please provide a way to change the name of the C: folder, or address the issue in Windows 10 that's causing it and report it somewhere so I can fix it?

Thanks.

Mardie Millit, May 14, 2019
  3. User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 14, 2019
  4. Ryan_2013 Win User

Name in C:\Users folder is lowercase. Can I change this?

Change User Name Folders

"The change the name on the Account folder is more difficult because it is more heavily protected. See this tutorial:https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/89060-chang..."

On this link, the details show renaming another account. I'm wanting to change the Admin account. It's a good thing I had another user setup on my computer, also as an Admin, because after changing the SID in step 8. And, unable to change the name in step
    11. As "Rename" wasn't in the list. I restarted the computer, since the Admin user account name was changed I was unable to load windows. I had to log into my other account, which was setup as Admin and change the SID back to the 5 letters the user name was
    titled.

My computer, Admin account, works again.

I wasn't wanting to just change another account user name, which this is possible to do. I wanted to change the main user, myself.

Ryan_2013, May 14, 2019
Thema:

Name in C:\Users folder is lowercase. Can I change this?

1. Name in C:\Users folder is lowercase. Can I change this? - Similar Threads - Name Users folder

2. I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".: The name of the user folder is the first 5 characters of my email. I want to change that to my name. How can I do that?I am using my Microsoft account for Windows 11.This is disturbing my work as the command prompt also shows the user name, which is the first 5 characters of...
  3. I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to change the user folder name in "C:\Users\".: The name of the user folder is the first 5 characters of my email. I want to change that to my name. How can I do that?I am using my Microsoft account for Windows 11.This is disturbing my work as the command prompt also shows the user name, which is the first 5 characters of...
  4. How can I change C:\User name?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change C:\User name?: I would like to remove the user name added since my last hard drive crash. I have installed new HD and installed win10pro. Since then I have two Users, Public and tantr? I want to change the tantr account back to my original account and computer name?...
  5. How can I change C:\User name?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I change C:\User name?: I would like to remove the user name added since my last hard drive crash. I have installed new HD and installed win10pro. Since then I have two Users, Public and tantr? I want to change the tantr account back to my original account and computer name?...
  6. How can I change C:\User name?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change folder name of "user" under C:/Users/user: I misspelled by name during installation of windows and now i want to change the name of the folder.What is the possible way to do so ?Thank in advance- Sagnik Saha...
  8. Can I change name of user folder,

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I change name of user folder,: When I installed windows I didn't want to create a microsoft account so instead I made one with my phone number, my User flmder is now just a bunch of numbers, I changed my username, that didn't change the folders name tho, can it be changed? submitted by /u/BLiIxy [link]...
  9. How can I change the C:\\Users\ name?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How can I change the C:\\Users\ name?: I'm using a Microsoft account to log in and have tried at least 2 methods to change the C:\\Users\ path name. None of them worked. One of the methods involved creating a new local account, signing out of the Microsoft one, and renaming the folder in This PC > Users, but...
  10. How can I change "C:\Users\vikto" folder name?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I change "C:\Users\vikto" folder name?: Hi. I want to change the C:\Users\vikto folder name to C:\Users\viktor, it is missing 1 letter and it annoys me. I tried changing it from Registry Editor but then I could not log in into my account. Is there any correct way of doing this? Thanks in advance!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to rename the actual Users folder in windows 10 profile

2. microsoft account name lowercase

3. windows 10 user account folder lowercase