Windows 10: Name resolution failing unless network adapter is re-installed

Discus and support Name resolution failing unless network adapter is re-installed in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Something is amiss with networking name resolution on my desktop PC. I frequently use Windows Explorer to access other Windows PCs on my home network,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ChrisWaters, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Name resolution failing unless network adapter is re-installed

Something is amiss with networking name resolution on my desktop PC. I frequently use Windows Explorer to access other Windows PCs on my home network, by computer name. I also occasionally use a VPN client on this PC. After disconnecting from the VPN client, I'll oftentimes no longer be able access the PCs by name--although the PCs can still be accessed by IP address.

When this has happened, I've experimented with changing the settings in Network and Sharing Center > Advanced Sharing Settings, especially Network Discovery and File/Printer Sharing, one setting at a time, without success. Rebooting hasn't helped, either.

My only resource has been to use Device Manager to remove (!) the Network Adapter (Intel(R) 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection) and then perform Action > Scan for hardware changes. After performing this action, I can once again access the PCs by name.

Any idea what is causing this ... and how to resolve it? FWIW, I never had this problem when Windows 7 was running on this PC. *Sad

:)

ChrisWaters, Oct 7, 2017

2. DNS Stops Working

Rolando,

Re: 1 - LAN via an Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Adapter

Re: 2 - Yes, all DNS queries fail

Re: 3 - Not exactly errors, the websites just don't load (which is what got me troubleshooting the problem in the first place)

The only thing in the event log is event ID 1014 "Name resolution for the name msn.com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded."

Scott

Scott Fairchild, Oct 7, 2017
  3. JenniL. Win User
    Seeking solution to Internet connectivity issues

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, following the guide hasn't been helpful for me, either.

I ran troubleshooting for Internet Connections which returned "Install a driver for your network adapter - Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver." and "Troubleshooting
    has completed" - unable to automatically fix; Problems found: Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter -- Detected -- [yellow warning triangle image]

Device Manager shows Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller and Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi adapters installed and device status of "This device is working properly." for both adapters. Have uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail.

I also ran troubleshooting for Network Adapter which returned "Reset Your Networking Configuration" - unable to detect networking issues, offers to reset network configuration for possible resolution. Tried that and still no resolution to the problem.

Ipconfig /release & /renew return "Windows IP Configuration -- The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation." /flushdns returns "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache."

Any thoughts? Thanks!

JenniL., Oct 7, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Name resolution failing unless network adapter is re-installed

Local pcs dont use dns the use netbios it will take time for the netbio to see the pc and update once you leave a vpn you could try running from a admin cmd prompt NBTSTAT -R

Samuria, Oct 8, 2017
  5. Thanks for the suggestion. It took this long (5 days) for the problem to occur again. *Smile

I could not access PCs by name, even after 12 hours. Access by IP address worked.

I ran NBTSTAT -R from an admin command prompt. The output was the standard "Successful purge and preload of the NBT Remote Cache Name Table"; afterwards, however, I still could not access the PCs by name.

Like before, I removed the network adapter and then performed Action > Scan for hardware changes. I can once again access the PCs by name.

Any other suggestions?

ChrisWaters, Oct 13, 2017
  6. The problem is still occurring -- in fact, it's now happening even though I've not been using the VPN client. I can still access PCs by IP address.

What would cause name resolution to randomly stop working?!?

ChrisWaters, Oct 19, 2017
  7. The problem is still occurring.

Would anything be gained by my performing a reset of Windows 10? Not sure what that all entails; I'd like to avoid having to re-install all of my apps.

ChrisWaters, Nov 13, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Samuria, Nov 14, 2017
  9. Thanks. I ran NetBScanner on the problem PC. It identified a few other devices on the network, including one that I frequently try to access (and am frequently unable to access, until I uninstall and re-install my NIC). Should I close the app and then simply run it again the next time I'm unable to access other devices?

ChrisWaters, Nov 14, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    Which one is the master browser windows doesnt look for pcs it asks the master browser that needs to be up to date for you to see pcs

Samuria, Nov 14, 2017
  11. The master browser, according to NetBScanner, is running on one of the PCs I frequently access; i.e., it's not my primary desktop PC.

12. dmholt57 Win User
    Uncheck the power saving feature in the adapters Power Management tab in the properties, see if behaviour changes... *Nerd

dmholt57, Nov 14, 2017
  13. Name resolution failing unless network adapter is re-installed

I've unchecked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Will report back here with the results. Thanks.

14. The name resolution problem happened again this morning; I could access the other PC by IP address but not by computer name. To clarify: I could see the shares on the other PC if I used its IP address but could not access the other PC by its name; attempting to do so produced the following error:
    Windows cannot access \\PC05
    Error code: 0x80070035
    The network path was not found
    NetBScanner displays PC05, with the IP address.

I figured I would try a trace route to the IP address. It found it immediately, but with the computer name of PC05.lan -- note the ".lan" suffix! What's that all about?

After I uninstall/re-install the NIC, I can access PC05 (including its shares) by computer name again.

BTW, when I browse to \\PC05.lan (either before or after uninstalling/re-installing the NIC), I'm prompted for credentials.

ChrisWaters, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Name resolution failing unless network adapter is re-installed - Similar Threads - Name resolution failing

2. Network adapter named "Douglas"?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network adapter named "Douglas"?: I was doing some laptop maintenance today and clicked on Network in the file menu of My PC to check what devices are connected. There is a network device name as "Douglas". That is not my computer! When I click properties, it states some information regarding Amazon. Then...
  3. Network adapter named "Douglas"?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network adapter named "Douglas"?: I was doing some laptop maintenance today and clicked on Network in the file menu of My PC to check what devices are connected. There is a network device name as "Douglas". That is not my computer! When I click properties, it states some information regarding Amazon. Then...
  4. Cannot re-install network adapters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot re-install network adapters: My ASUS computer could not find any networks, so I followed the advice of some forums and uninstalled my network adaptors. However, they're not automatically re-installing like people said. I've been to the Control Panel and have scanned and searched for hidden devices -...
  5. Cannot re-install network adapters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot re-install network adapters: My ASUS computer could not find any networks, so I followed the advice of some forums and uninstalled my network adaptors. However, they're not automatically re-installing like people said. I've been to the Control Panel and have scanned and searched for hidden devices -...
  6. in re: Network Adapter Blues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    in re: Network Adapter Blues: I have a 10 year old Gateway that I upgraded to Windows 10. I sometimes have to uninstall the network adapter and restart to get internet. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated....
  7. in re: Network Adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    in re: Network Adapter: I have a HP envy dv6 on a network with an older Gateway desktop that share a printer .I can't print from the laptop. Upon investigation it was found that the network adapter : intel r Centrino Wireless-N-2230 is only rated for Windows 8.1. I see that this is a common problem...
  8. Wireless networking adapter is missing and can't be re-installed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wireless networking adapter is missing and can't be re-installed: HP Envy laptop Used the Apple updater to update to the latest version of iTunes. After re-starting, I have no wireless networks: the adapter is missing from Device Manager. System restore did not solve the issue. Tried installing the driver, both using the HP assistant...
  9. Have to uninstall/re-install network adapters frequently.

Have to uninstall/re-install network adapters frequently.: I recently purchased a Lenovo L560 laptop and have had a recurring problem with connecting to the internet. Every couple of weeks I have increasing trouble staying connected to wifi. The only fix I can figure out is to uninstall the network adapter and reinstall it....
  10. change network adapter name

change network adapter name: Hi *Party how can i change network adapter name: (see Image): [img] i want change it to another name *Mad 53255