Windows 10: Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid.

Discus and support Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi,As a user using accessibility and keyboard to navigate, I would like to turn the scan mode off automatically when navigating to Grid. Is there a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Harshith Patte, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid.

Hi,As a user using accessibility and keyboard to navigate, I would like to turn the scan mode off automatically when navigating to Grid. Is there a hack/tips for this?

:)

Harshith Patte, Sep 13, 2022
  2. KenPetri Win User

Windows Narrator does not support automatic switching in/out of scan mode for ARIA composite widget roles

Unlike other Windows screen readers (NVDA & JAWS), Narrator does not appear to mode switch between its scan/browse mode and its "scan mode off"/pass-through/forms mode.

Many of the ARIA Authoring Practices composite widgets (tree, grid, tablist, listbox, or the global "application" role, etc.) only properly report and are properly navigated when the screen reader is in a pass-through mode.

NVDA and JAWS will automatically "pop" you into forms mode/cursor off mode when focus is programmatically set to an element within a composite widget role. The mode switch enables proper interaction/navigation behavior of those types of widgets.

Narrator, by contrast, is only toggled out of its "scan mode" manually (by pressing Narrator + spacebar). This severely limits the ability of web developers/authors in making well-supported complex ARIA widgets.

Is there a plan to address this deficiency of Narrator?

KenPetri, Sep 13, 2022
  3. How to turn off the narrator on Windows 10?

Hello Lee,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• When you say “Navigater”, are you referring to narrator?
    • Did you try to turn the “Navigater” off from the settings page?

If you are referring to the narrator settings, I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Narrator settings and select the top most search result.
    • Slide the Narrator option bar to Off status under
      Hear text and controls on the screen.
    • Close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance on the query. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 13, 2022
  4. par_0511 Win User

Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid.

Windows Narrator does not support automatic switching in/out of scan mode for ARIA composite widget roles

Good day KenPetri! I am glad to be able to provide assistance to you today. I understand that Windows Narrator does not support automatic switching in/out of scan mode for ARIA composite widget roles. For this, I would suggest to send a feedback via the Feedback Hub app on your PC and hopefully this will be available in the next/future update for Windows.

Regards,

Paul R.

par_0511, Sep 13, 2022
Thema:

Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid.

1. Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid. - Similar Threads - Narrator doesn't turn

2. Narrator is announcing "Editable" with grid in Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Narrator is announcing "Editable" with grid in Edge: We can refer example Data Grid Examples APG WAI W3C and open it in Chrome first. When we enable Narrator and move to cell using downward arrow key, it announces "Editable" for the cell. We do not want this behavior as the cell is not editable. This behavior is not present in...
  3. Narrator is announcing "Editable" with grid in Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Narrator is announcing "Editable" with grid in Edge: We can refer example Data Grid Examples APG WAI W3C and open it in Chrome first. When we enable Narrator and move to cell using downward arrow key, it announces "Editable" for the cell. We do not want this behavior as the cell is not editable. This behavior is not present in...
  4. Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Narrator doesn't turn off the scan mode automatically when navigating to Grid.: Hi,As a user using accessibility and keyboard to navigate, I would like to turn the scan mode off automatically when navigating to Grid. Is there a hack/tips for this?...
  5. Dark mode turning off automatically

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dark mode turning off automatically: Every time I shut off my pc, when I turn it back on the default app mode in colors is set to light, even though I change it to dark every single day. The default Windows mode stays on light, but the app setting keeps switching to light. It hurts my eyes every time I open an...
  6. Constant narration WITH narration turned off.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Constant narration WITH narration turned off.: When I open a web page, many times I get the female voice describing the subject of the page I just opened. When I research the problem, all help sites say to turn off the narrator. The narrator is off but she still remains. It's annoying. I figured it's Cortana which I tried...
  7. Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Typed Navigation Keys in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Typed Navigation Keys in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Announce Typed Navigation Keys in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hear Narrator Announce Navigation Keys as Typed in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display...
  8. Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off: How to: Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off How to Turn On or Off Narrator Echo Toggle Keys when Turned On or Off in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or...
  9. Turn On or Off and Use Narrator Scan Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off and Use Narrator Scan Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off and Use Narrator Scan Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On ot Off and Use Narrator Scan Mode in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if...
  10. Change Narrator Cursor Navigation Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Narrator Cursor Navigation Mode in Windows 10: How to: Change Narrator Cursor Navigation Mode in Windows 10 How to Change Narrator Cursor Navigation Mode in Windows 10 Narrator is a screen-reading app built into Windows 10. Narrator lets you use your PC without a display or mouse to complete common tasks if...