Windows 10: NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address

Discus and support NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In one network I manage I sometimes get this strange error. The NAS is perfectly accessible via its name \\LAGRING but using its IP address... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by turboraketti, May 18, 2020.

1. NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address

In one network I manage I sometimes get this strange error. The NAS is perfectly accessible via its name \\LAGRING but using its IP address \\172.24.57.3 gives an error the error message suggests it is unavailable or that you don't have access rights. I have not found a deterministic solution to it. It seems to affect all clients, but I'm not totally sure.

Any idea what may cause this behaviour?

:)

turboraketti, May 18, 2020

2. Can't access NAS by name

Yesterday I did a clean (re)install of Windows 10. All seemed ok, but today I cannot access a NAS disk by name. I can access it by IP address, and nslookup correctly resolve both name and addresses. But if I try to access \\MyBookLive (I know, - a cleverly original name.) - I get an error saying "Windows cannot access \\MyBookLive", giving an error code 0x80004005.

For the time being, I've mapped the IP address so I can access the drive, but I recall getting security warning popups in the past when I've done that so I hope this is temporary. And the IP address is set DHCP so I can't guarantee it will stay the same.

Any idea how to resolve this?

pokeefe0001, May 18, 2020
  3. Blaq Win User
    Can't see NAS (SMBv1), even via IP address (tried common solutions)

I have a DLINK DNS-325 NAS which worked fine until this week.

• The issue started after I performed an in-place upgrade. (To fix an unrelated Windows Store problem.)
    • I restored the NAS to factory settings and manually rebuilt its settings.
    • I can access the NAS's Web-based UI without a problem and it reports no errors. I can also ping it without any error.
    I have tried several solutions, some from "My nas devices are not showing in Windows File Explorer - Network, Windows 10 version 1703, build 15063.332" for example.

• Network reset
    • Enabled SMBv1
    • Forced my PC to be the Master Browser
    • Force-enabled "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP"
    To take Windows networking out of the equation, I'm initially trying to access the NAS by its static IP, 192.168.*. In the command window:

• I can ping it without problem
    • `net view \\192.168.*` gives an error 53.
    What should my next steps be? Thanks.

4. NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address

Can't access NAS by name

Ha! That did it. Maybe because the reinstall of Widows changed the "Computer Name" associated with the PC? For whatever reason, it worked.
    I could give the NAS drive a static address, but I'd rather refer to it by name. Windows gives an irritating warning popup (saying things from the internet can't be trusted) when executing a program from a NAS drive accessed by IP addr rather than name. Since save all installation files for installed software on my NAS so I get that warning a lot when the drive is accessed by addr.

pokeefe0001, May 18, 2020
Thema:

NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address

1. NAS only accessible via WINS name, but not via IP address - Similar Threads - NAS accessible via

2. Cant access c$ via pc name but can via ip address on some netwrok computers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant access c$ via pc name but can via ip address on some netwrok computers.: Win 10 on both sides. Cant access c$ via pc name but can via ip address. I try to turn on network discovery and registry localaccesstokenpolicy but no success. Firewall not block....
  3. Cant access c$ via pc name but can via ip address on some netwrok computers.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant access c$ via pc name but can via ip address on some netwrok computers.: Win 10 on both sides. Cant access c$ via pc name but can via ip address. I try to turn on network discovery and registry localaccesstokenpolicy but no success. Firewall not block....
  4. Cant access c$ via pc name but can via ip address on some netwrok computers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP: I have a Windows Server 2019 Domain. I'm not able to acces the Server from Windows 10 Domain Clients by its Name but can do so with IP. When I ping Server name from problem computers I get the correct Server IP. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns with no success.When I try to...
  6. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP: I have a Windows Server 2019 Domain. I'm not able to acces the Server from Windows 10 Domain Clients by its Name but can do so with IP. When I ping Server name from problem computers I get the correct Server IP. I have tried ipconfig /flushdns with no success.When I try to...
  7. Unable to access Server via Server Name but can via IP

8. Access set of IP addresses via Build-in VPN

Access set of IP addresses via Build-in VPN: Hi all, I have this problem at my work place: there is a trusted service that provides data, that has to be constantly received online. The only way to receive them is to connect to their VPN and use dedicated application. I was able to connect to it using build-in VPN, but...
  9. printer errors via IP address, but prints fine via USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer errors via IP address, but prints fine via USB: I recently installed a printer via TCP/IP (using the IP number on the printed configuration page) and the test page won't print due to error. However, I installed the same printer via USB and the test page prints fine. suggestions?...
  10. Can't see NAS (SMBv1), even via IP address (tried common solutions)

Can't see NAS (SMBv1), even via IP address (tried common solutions): I have a DLINK DNS-325 NAS which worked fine until this week. The issue started after I performed an in-place upgrade. (To fix an unrelated Windows Store problem.) I restored the NAS to factory settings and manually rebuilt its settings. I can access the NAS's Web-based UI...