Windows 10: NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

Discus and support NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section. You might find... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Nov 22, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

Hi folks
    I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section.

You might find that after an update to SAMBA 4.8.X (4.7.x is ok and needs no change) that you lose connectivity, can't see your network from the NAS side or even get an error when re-starting SAMBA especially when using SMB1 for connectivity.

The max protocol = SMB1 in the samba/conf file has now been deprecated -- you have to change the SMB1 to NT1 and then it all works again.

I've got the example shown in my post : Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc) Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 22, 2018

2. Samba at Risk from Wormable Bug Similar to WannaCry: Present on Many NAS boxes

The big concern here is "unsupported" devices, as there are most like hundreds of thousands, if not millions of devices out there that run samba, but have fallen off the supported devices category from their original manufacturer. It means that they no longer receive software updates, but it doesn't mean the devices are useless. No company is going to go and release patches for devices that dropped off their supported devices list 4-5 years ago. These devices could be things like routers, web cameras and what not, in addition to just NAS appliances, as samba is used on anything that has remote accessible storage, so it's a rather scary thing, as so many of these devices have lax security. What's worse, many of these devices can't have the software updated, as it's an integral part of the firmware and changing samba version can break a lot of things.

TheLostSwede, Nov 22, 2018
  3. tdugard Win User
    Windows 10 and DNS 320 NAS samba access issues

Hello everyone,

Since january 2017 approx. , i can't use my Dlink DNS 320 Nas in my desktop computer explorer (using either \\nas.ip or \\nasname). Before this date the NAS was perfectly working on the same computer.

The NAS is fully working because on a windows 7 laptop, on IOS phone, on Android phone i can connect with Samba protocol with no issues.

On the win 10, i can ping both the ip and the nas name, i can also access it by ftp on web admin interface.

I'm pretty sure a windows update broke it but i really don't know how to make it work again.

tdugard, Nov 22, 2018
  4. bro67 Win User

Cannot connect to SAMBA shares on CENTOS7

Samba has a few quirks that regardless of what version of Windows that you are using, Windows does not recognize the shares for some reason. Samba always behaves as if you are on a Domain, regardless if it is a Workgroup. Read through this first and do the Registry fix. Windows 8 Support - SME Server

Try this registry fix in the Windows machines. Linux and Windows 8 Interoperability ADMIN Magazine

I have to Map my NAS shares on my Lenovo ix2-4 on Windows 10. Used to be that you could just click and connect to the network shares. The latest updates in 8 and 10 in general, for whatever Microsoft did to SMB, you have to play around.

Also I would change the Advanced Sharing settings from "Allow windows to manage homegroups" to "Use User Accounts and Passwords to connect to other computers." Also use Smb4K to manage the Samba shares. It is for KDE, but will run in any GUI. Make sure that you have Startup Options set for running KDE & Gnome.

bro67, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

1. NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity - Similar Threads - NAS SAMBA updates

2. NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10: Hello, for some time now I have not been able to access the files on my NAS from my Windows 10 PC. This is a D-Link DNS-325 Sharecenter type NAS on which I use the opensource Alt-F firmware, SMB2 compatible. Windows version: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1909 18363.1256 When...
  3. Connecting to a Samba Share

Connecting to a Samba Share: I am trying to connect to a samba share. There are two users on the machine. user1 was able to access the share drive and map the share on the machine. user2 was able to access the folders. the next day user1 could not access the drives that were mapped nor could they...
  4. NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing

NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing: Hi folks couldn't get SAMBA v4.11 working at all (4.10.X was OK) however provided you upgrade on your NAS systems to Samba 4.12.2 or later it is working again --especially if you need to use / access older non Windows devices that still need SMB1 in the [global] section of...
  5. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  6. Windows latest update causes SAMBA (NAS) change ????

Windows latest update causes SAMBA (NAS) change ????: Hi there Haven't changed any settings in Windows 10 or in SAMBA files but after latest W10 update I get the NAS trying to act as a local master browser ????? -- I haven't got anything in SAMBA to specify this -- samba hasn't changed so it can only be windows / networking....
  7. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  8. Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc)

Samba v 4.8.x and connectivity (SMB1 / NAS etc): Hi folks I know people use NAS systems on this board which often use Linux type distros. Same goes for VM's. Samba 4.8.x now throws error if you specify min protocol = SMB1 in your SMB.CONF file which will hose you up if you need connectivity to NAS via Windows / Smart TV's...
  9. XP and NAS (Samba) access

XP and NAS (Samba) access: Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests. In your smb.config file add [global] lanman auth=yes ntlm auth=yes Now it works...
  10. Samba connectivity

Samba connectivity: I'm still working with a problem I've mentioned here before: my Windows boxes have lost connectivity to my Samba box since adopting Win 10. There are dozens of flavors of this problem discussed online, and dozens of solutions, none of which have worked for me. Describing...