Windows 10: NAS seen as folder not drive

Discus and support NAS seen as folder not drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am unable to use my NAS as backup as I cannot map as drive. Trying to use IP address with drive mapping, it cannot be found. New router, both plugged... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tlfmd, Mar 8, 2020.

1. tlfmd Win User

NAS seen as folder not drive

I am unable to use my NAS as backup as I cannot map as drive.
    Trying to use IP address with drive mapping, it cannot be found.
    New router, both plugged into it.
    NAS is listed under files under "this pc" and contained files are accessible.
    help.

:)

tlfmd, Mar 8, 2020
  2. robmar0se Win User

Save-as errors on NAS drive - files duplicated

Windows 10 Pro system with Word 365, and files saved on NAS drive.
    “User” folders have also been “moved” so they point to the NAS device.
    On the host system the NAS device has been mapped as the Z drive. In other words when opening “My Docs” it looks at the folder/files stored on the NAS.
    These folders are also defined as shared so that another system has rights to read/write to the same folders.

When a document is “Saved As”, currently the document is saved as it should be with a new name where it should be saved.
    It also creates duplicate entries in a folder called “#recycle” (if it doesn't exist it creates this folder), one file with the same saved-as name, and another temp file given a random alpha/numeric name.
    Both entries in the #recycle subfolder are “blank”.
    It also creates the wrong link in the Word “recent docs” list pointing to the item in the #recycle folder.

Another PC using Windows 7 + Office 2007, can access these shared folders, however the “save-as” function creates the same problem.

There are no issues with the standard “save” function.

Other info; I7 system with 6 GB ram with Raid 1- 2 x 1GB NAS. NAS Synology ds216j 6.1.
    Using McAfee AV.

Networking/Word/Windows issue? Any suggestions?

robmar0se, Mar 8, 2020
  3. Antimalware Service Executable scans NAS drive

Hi Thrawn,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

The issue you are facing could be due to the settings is not being set properly. Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Follow the below steps:

• Type Windows defender on the Windows search bar.

• Select Windows Defender and click on Settings.

• Now click on Add an exclusion and click on
      Exclude a folder.

• Select the NAS drive and click on
      Exclude this folder

Hope this information helps, post us with the status we will be glad to assist you.

Billion Debbarma, Mar 8, 2020
  4. NAS seen as folder not drive

Folder contents not copying on the first try in Win10 to a NAS

There may have been a post relating to this, but I haven't seen an answer that resolves the issue. Here is a work around.

On my network there is a Win10/64 laptop and a GigaNAS storage device. I have full RW permission to use the NAS. Having a folder open on the NAS drive, I want to copy a folder and it's contents to the NAS from the Win10 laptop. I drag a folder to the open
    NAS drive window, and it will create a folder in the NAS with the same name, but the contents are not copied. It is just an empty folder of the same name. However, if I drag that same folder a 2nd time to to the NAS drive after the empty folder was created,
    it will then copy the contents of the folder including it's sub-folders, but not the sub-folders contents. Again the empty folder must exist before it's contents are copied. So, in essences, before the contents of any folder is copied, the empty folder of
    the same name must exist on the destination NAS drive.

Some tests that I have tried is using copy and paste instead of dragging, and it still produces the same results which require a second paste before it copies the contents of a folder.

The has worked properly under on my old laptop running Win7/64.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

ChrisDziewior, Mar 8, 2020
Thema:

NAS seen as folder not drive

1. NAS seen as folder not drive - Similar Threads - NAS folder drive

2. NAS Drive Inaccessible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS Drive Inaccessible: I am having a problem with NAS Drives and mapped drives on my Windows 10 Home laptop and a Windows 10 professional desktop My Arkara NAS mapped drive gives the error An error ocurred while reconnecting Q: to \\STORAGE-OC60\LDevlin Microsoft Windows Network The local device...
  3. Unable to access NAS Drive secured folder

Unable to access NAS Drive secured folder: Hi, I recently upgraded my Windows 10 to Build 19041. Using NAS EX4100. I added my user "mazhar" in NAS, it is associated with folder "mazhar". User mazhar has full read\write access to folder mazhar. Now after windows upgrade i am able to access Public folder without any...
  4. NAS seen as folder not drive

NAS seen as folder not drive: I am unable to use my NAS as backup as I cannot map as drive. Trying to use IP address with drive mapping, it cannot be found. New router, both plugged into it. NAS is listed under files under "this pc" and contained files are accessible. help. 151907
  5. NAS Drive Trouble

NAS Drive Trouble: Hi, I've been using a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra with no problems until a few days ago. Now it wont show up on my PC on network. The only way it will work is if I plug it in directly to my PC which I can't do as I only have 1 ethernet LAN port which I use to connect to the...
  6. NAS drives and network

NAS drives and network: Hi All I have a WD EXultra2. I have a laptop (5yr old samsung) running Win10 I have a fairly new PC running Win10 My laptop can see my NAS drive no problem and can access everything on it. My PC has recently decided to not see my NAS drive - no reason that I can...
  7. Nas drive

Nas drive: Cannot now access my WD live duo after update to 1809 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/nas-drive/229f433c-49bb-4c92-9cdd-40da8b3be53b"
  8. No Access to NAS Drive

No Access to NAS Drive: Hi Folk, I can see that this seems to be a common problem on here! I have a Lacie cloudbox NAS drive. On WIn7 pro it worked just fine. Windows say the drive in the network group and I could access it like a normal folder. After I did the Win10 upgrade and it initially...
  9. Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive?

Custom Folder Icons on a NAS Network Drive?: Greetings! Quite some time ago I went the extra mile in making custom Folder Icons for quite a lot of my stuff - Mainly because it's easier to navigate the content when watched from a TV more than an arm length away as even with magnification it's kind of a pain in the ass...
  10. NAS Folder Properties

in Windows 10 Support
    NAS Folder Properties: I have 2 NAS devices connected on my LAN. the view on the contents of the folders on the NAS is set to "Details". But almost every time after a shutdown (computer and NAS) the view changes to "Large Icons". This doesn't happen with my C drive and connected SATA drive. Why...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. WD Cloud EX2 ultra map network drive Windows 10