Windows 10: NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing

Discus and support NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks couldn't get SAMBA v4.11 working at all (4.10.X was OK) however provided you upgrade on your NAS systems to Samba 4.12.2 or later it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, May 9, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing

Hi folks

couldn't get SAMBA v4.11 working at all (4.10.X was OK) however provided you upgrade on your NAS systems to Samba 4.12.2 or later it is working again --especially if you need to use / access older non Windows devices that still need SMB1

in the [global] section of the smb.conf file ensure you have BOTH of these lines :

[global]

client min protocol = NT1
    server min protocol = NT1

NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing [​IMG]

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 9, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Hi folks

If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including Windows machines.

For windows it's easy enough --file explorer to search network drives and connect -

For Linux you can issue a mount -t cifs command to mount the remote share -- don't use the -t smbfs any more it's obsolete if it even works at all.

The bonkers thing about this is if the mount point is defined as a samba share on server 2 then the HDD from server 1 can be accessed by any system having access to server 2 even if they don't have access to server 1 i.e "Daisy chaining" samba shares. !!!!!

This saves moving external HDD's around for example when testing servers etc. You'll get network speed of course but with a decent network should all be fine.

so

1) get IP address of remote server

2) issue mount command like the screen shot

3) enter password for the remote share at the prompt (shown in white here).

Seasoned linux users won't have a problem but I know a lot of people on this board are experimenting with NAS type servers etc and this type of command isn't always easy to find in the documentation.

Now on Windows you see my samba share HDD1 on server 2 is actually the content from SERVER 1 which doesn't have access (or vice versa) to the windows machine

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    SAMBA 4.11.x Bugs- shares not reachable inc Windows --fixes

Hi folks

3 Get arounds to the Samba V4.11.x version(s) not showing (or serving) shares.

1) on "downgradeable" Linux / NAS systems downgrade 4 packages to samba 4.10.10-2, smbclient 4.10.10-2, libwbclient 4.10.10-2, ldb 1.5.6-2 (e.g samba,smbclient,libwbclient,ldb)

2) when upgrading block upgrade to these packages

3) on some systems undocumented (or hard to find) this could work --in the [global] section of smb.conf ( the configuration file) specify this : client min protocol = CORE --didn't work on my machine though.

This exposes a risk but some older NAS and other non windows things still use SMB1

I'm sure that because SAMBA is so widely used a proper fix will come out soon -- but given the COV-19 stuff who knows when teams working on these things are fully operational again.

Working with downgraded Samba with newest kernel and rest of system :

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users

Hi folks

There's a / several bug(s) reported (and I can concur) with current release of Samba (4.11.x)

This will also affect Windows users if they want to access NAS or Linux servers using SAMBA where SAMBA has been upgraded to Version 4.11.x. where x is 1,2,3 etc. Version 4.10 .10 is my last working version -- so advice don't upgrade SAMBA if poss to 4.11 especially if you have any devices still using SMBV1.

This will affect using things like Amazon fire sticks for streaming stuff from Computers / NAS, Phones, Tablets to smart TV's etc

I think a lot of this is also caused by the latest Windows "Security" fixes in Networking -- I LIKE security --but not at the expense of it hosing up the Network !!!! . You might find also latest version (fast release) of Windows running as a VM may have problems accessing a NAS / Linux server too with some versions of SAMBA.

Direct connection via IP address still works but it's a pain though.

Best solution --stick to SAMBA 4.10.x until bug(s) is / are fixed.

@martyfelker -- downgrade SAMBA on ArchLinux / Manjaro easy enough --use /var/cache/pacman.pkg and then block that package from update until bug fixed.

Use command (as root) # pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/package-old_version.pkg.tar.xz

(Also same for SMBCLIENT if you installed that too or you'll get a library conflict !!).

For people with other NAS / Linux systems - you'll have to refer to the documentation for that particular OS.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 9, 2020
Thema:

1. NAS users : Samba 4.12.2 fix for network browsing - Similar Threads - NAS users Samba

2. Network 2 and NAS drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network 2 and NAS drives: I have recently had to install a new router. Windows 10 now indicates that my network is Network 2 and denies me access to my WD NAS drives and their attached USB hard drives. I should be grateful for any advice....
  3. Network 2 and NAS drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network 2 and NAS drives: I have recently had to install a new router. Windows 10 now indicates that my network is Network 2 and denies me access to my WD NAS drives and their attached USB hard drives. I should be grateful for any advice....
  4. Network 2 and NAS drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users

BUG Samba 4.11 so wont see shares NAS / LINUX users: Hi folks There's a / several bug(s) reported (and I can concur) with current release of Samba (4.11.x) This will also affect Windows users if they want to access NAS or Linux servers using SAMBA where SAMBA has been upgraded to Version 4.11.x. where x is 1,2,3 etc. Version...
  6. Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Samba 4 and NAS / Windows shares on W10 and Linux servers / clients: Hi folks there's a lot of confusion about how to set SAMBA up if you have any sort of Linux type system in the mix whether host , running as a NAS or in VM and Windows 10 mix. the best way is to do the following 1) Enable SMB1 on W10 -- while it might not be recommended...
  7. XP to NAS / SAMBA shares

XP to NAS / SAMBA shares: Hi folks If you have XP VM's and you want to access SAMBA type shares then you'll need to add these 2 lines in the global section of the samba.conf file. (Note on the NAS / SAMBA server file. There's nothing extra to do on the XP system. (The NAS can usually by default...
  8. NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity

NAS / SAMBA 4.8.x updates and connectivity: Hi folks I posted in the VM section but as a lot run NAS servers / Linux OS's I'll repeat the info as some don't use the VM section. You might find that after an update to SAMBA 4.8.X (4.7.x is ok and needs no change) that you lose connectivity, can't see your network from...
  9. XP and NAS (Samba) access

XP and NAS (Samba) access: Hi folks If you use XP VM's there can sometimes be a problem with connecting TO a Linux / samba NAS. Connecting FROM the NAS is OK as is connecting to or from other Windows Hosts / guests. In your smb.config file add [global] lanman auth=yes ntlm auth=yes Now it works...
  10. Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s)

Daisy chaining NAS / SAMBA shares across Network(s): Hi folks If you are messing around with say Linux / NAS servers on VMs or even a mix of real / virtual sometimes you want to connect one NAS share to another NAS server without messing around with config files etc. This daisy chains shares across entire networks including...