Windows 10: Native boot virtual machine failed to boot

Discus and support Native boot virtual machine failed to boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have 2 SSDs in my laptop and each one has Windows 10 installed. I use dualboot menu to select which one to boot. Now I am trying to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by F.Wu, Apr 26, 2020.

1. F.Wu Win User

Native boot virtual machine failed to boot

Hello,

I have 2 SSDs in my laptop and each one has Windows 10 installed. I use dualboot menu to select which one to boot.

Now I am trying to use native boot of vhdx. What I did are:

1. use disk2vhd to create vhdx file, select the 2nd SSDD: drive and created Windows2.vhdx under folder \VM in the root of 1st SSD.

After VHDX file created, I run disk management and attach the virtual disk, I noticed there are three partition EFI/SYSTEM/Recovery in the VHD.

then I detached the drive.

2. use bcdicex64 to add an boot entry "Windows 10 VM" to boot from vhd.

3. Reboot the computer, select Windows 10 VM, Windows starts to load, after a few seconds, I got STOP error "critical_process_died".

I tried the following after boot failure:

Boot to 1st SSD, attach vhdx in disk management, delete EFI partition and recovery partition. detach vhdx, reboot the computer and choose Windows 10 VM. This time the computer keeps rebooting when the windows starts to load without giving STOP error.

Booting to safemode results same problem.

How to fix the problem? Thanks

:)

2. One install two licences for native boot and virtual machine.

I have a native boot windows 10 install that I sometimes use in a virtual machine as well. Would having two licenses allow me to have both configurations activated or does windows only hold one key per install?

JoshuaHess, Apr 26, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.

You can even combine two individual virtual machines to a single dual boot vm. In Hyper-V this is extremely easy, you just copy the .vhd or .vhdx file of the other vm to your first vm, mount it and add to boot menu (adding a VHD to boot menu for native boot: Hyper-V - Native Boot VHD - Windows 10 Forums)

You are using VMware, a .vmdk file. That needs first to be converted to .vhd file but then it's easy. See this tutorial on our sister site Seven Forums for converting a VMDK file to VHD and adding it to native boot: Windows 10 - Test Try with No Risk, No Install - Windows 7 Help Forums (Part One steps 2 & 3 for tools needed, Part Three for converting VMDK to VHD, Part Four to add it to boot menu).

4. Native boot virtual machine failed to boot

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Hi Shrine,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest you to refer the articles Best Practices
    for running Linux on Hyper-V
    , Boot
    to a virtual hard disk: Add a VHDX or VHD to the boot menu
    , and
    Supported Linux and FreeBSD virtual
    machines for Hyper-V on Windows
    to check if you can add a second Virtual Hard Drive to install Linux.

If you want more help on installing Linux on VHDX, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet Forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge
    on Hyper-V and Virtual Hard Disks and they will help you with the exact information that you are looking for.

Shafeeq_Khan, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Native boot virtual machine failed to boot

1. Native boot virtual machine failed to boot - Similar Threads - Native boot virtual

2. Hyper-V virtual machine error when booting up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-V virtual machine error when booting up: I always get this error. Even if I give the VM 6GB of RAM. No matter what I tryusing iso file, or downloading OS from Hyper-V, it still, doesn't work...
  3. Hyper-V virtual machine error when booting up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hyper-V virtual machine error when booting up: I always get this error. Even if I give the VM 6GB of RAM. No matter what I tryusing iso file, or downloading OS from Hyper-V, it still, doesn't work...
  4. Windows 7 not booting in virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 7 not booting in virtual machine: I recently moved my windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits virtual machine Vmware workstation 16 player from my memory card to my laptop to use it. It worked fine 2 times since I moved it but this time it has bluescreened on startup. I have tried safe mode with networking and start...
  5. Windows 7 not booting in virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 7 not booting in virtual machine: I recently moved my windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits virtual machine Vmware workstation 16 player from my memory card to my laptop to use it. It worked fine 2 times since I moved it but this time it has bluescreened on startup. I have tried safe mode with networking and start...
  6. Do the NATIVE boot from a "virtual" hdd (in *.VHD file) requires full virtualization...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do the NATIVE boot from a "virtual" hdd (in *.VHD file) requires full virtualization...: Hello all I can't install the Windows 10(x64) into the virtual HDD drive (VHD) from the Rufus-based bootable USB flash drive with Win10 distr. The setup log showing two major errors: "the selected disk space is not of type esp" "the selected disk is a surfaced virtual...
  7. Windows fails to boot natively, but can boot in a VM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows fails to boot natively, but can boot in a VM: I have a PC that dual boots Linux and Windows. When booted in Linux, I also boot the Windows install through VirtualBox by passing the disks in directly. The boot process natively is mobo UEFI -> GRUB -> Windows Boot Loader -> Windows, and the boot process in the VM is vbox...
  8. Hyper-V Virtual Machine Won't Boot Automatically

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Hyper-V Virtual Machine Won't Boot Automatically: I have a Virtual Machine - Hyper-V under my Windows 10 box. Everytime the box boots, it asks for a password. I've used netplwiz to uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" I've edited the registry to contain the DefaultUserName,...
  9. Native boot Virtual Hard Disk - How to upgrade Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Native boot Virtual Hard Disk - How to upgrade Windows: How to: Native boot Virtual Hard Disk - How to upgrade Windows [img] Information The easiest way to install Windows 10 for dual or multi boot is to create a virtual hard disk and install Windows on it: [media] See this post in Ten Forums video thread for more...
  10. Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Dual booting inside a VMWARE Virtual Machine.: I decided (more out of academic interest than need) that I would setup windows 10586 in a vm on VMWARE, and also Insider version. Problem was I could not find anyway of doing this. You could install first version, but how to install second version, as you automatically...