Windows 10: Native booting vhdx file not working

Discus and support Native booting vhdx file not working in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected.... Everything seems to work as it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jabbawok, Oct 4, 2020.

1. jabbawok Win User

Native booting vhdx file not working

I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected....
    Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown:

Native booting vhdx file not working [​IMG]

I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and Secure Boot disabled. I think it has something to do with the bcdboot command but have no idea how to fix it. Has anyone done this successfully?

:)

jabbawok, Oct 4, 2020
  2. cereberus Win User

Testing in a virtual machine will not work unless the vhdx has boot files.

All you need to do to native boot vhdx file is

1. Boot to Windows.

2. Attach vhdx file from disk management.

3. Note the drive letter of windows in attached vhd.

4. Type following

bcdboot #:\windows

where # is drive letter from step 3.

cereberus, Oct 4, 2020
  3. jabbawok Win User

Done all that. The problem seems to be with the vhdx file being located on another drive. It works fine from the primary drive, which is no good for my strategy.

I found a post on another forum where it was suggested to use mount point GUID instead of drive letters in the bcdedit command as the drive letters of other disks may not be assigned at the time. If you can explain how to do that I'd be grateful.

jabbawok, Oct 4, 2020
  4. jabbawok Win User

I've been trying to native boot Win10 on a vhdx virtual disk. I'm following this guide: You are being redirected....
    Everything seems to work as it should. But when I reboot the system the following error is shown:

Native booting vhdx file not working [​IMG]

I'm testing this in a VMWare VM with UEFI boot and Secure Boot disabled. I think it has something to do with the bcdboot command but have no idea how to fix it. Has anyone done this successfully?

jabbawok, Oct 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Native booting vhdx file not working - Similar Threads - Native booting vhdx

2. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  3. Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Native VHDX boot - Windows won't use a pagefile: Right now I'm booting off of a VHDX file natively. Works great, except no matter what I do, Windows won't create or use a page file! I did some research, and unlike when the VHDX is booted in Hyper-V, native VHDX boot won't put hiberfil.sys, pagefile.sys, and swapfile.sys on...
  4. DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    DualBoot Windows 10 with native boot on vhdx file.: hello everyone, I need to try cortana reminders on the 2004 version. I have vmware but I would like to try to install on my hardware if possible with a dual boot. I would like to use native boot on vhdx file. I have seen tutorials and I have partially prepared a dos...
  5. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...
  6. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  7. Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to native boot a vhdx after dual booting linux?: I want to install linux on a separate nvme and still boot natively to vhdx's that I will add to the windows boot manager with one normal windows on a separate nvme. Is this possible or does grub completely replace the windows boot manager altogether. 144144
  8. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  9. Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10.VHDX native boot....with linux as well?: Wondering if this is at all possible. I use Hyper-V and am very impressed of the native boot performance, would it be at all possible to native boot a linux virtual drive. For example, in UEFI I have Windows 10 on my physical drive as option 1, and windows 10 on a virtual...
  10. Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V

Reusing vhdx (native boot) in Hyper-V: Hey all, I created a .vhdx in disk management, initialised, new volume and formatted. Deployed Win 10 Insider 17754 to it using dism /apply-image etc. Updated the bcd store on main OS, booted to .vhdx natively no issues. Now since MSoft doesn't allow the upgrade to newer...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. vhdx boot not working