Windows 10: Native Mail App not searching correctly - doesn't seem to be indexed

Discus and support Native Mail App not searching correctly - doesn't seem to be indexed in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running Windows 10 1803. I'm running mail version 16005.11001.20083.0. I don't see an option under control panel indexing for it. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by boe_d, Nov 12, 2018.

1. boe_d Win User

Native Mail App not searching correctly - doesn't seem to be indexed

Hello,

I'm running Windows 10 1803. I'm running mail version 16005.11001.20083.0. I don't see an option under control panel indexing for it. I have reindexed my computer - still no luck.

:)

boe_d, Nov 12, 2018
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The built in Windows 10 Mail app uses the Windows search services to search for Emails and as you have mentioned that you have already rebuilt search index in Windows, I suggest to run the Windows 10 Store apps troubleshooter and see if it works.

Go to Settings->Update & Security->Troubleshoot->Windows Store Apps->Run the troubleshooter.

If it does not work, try with resetting the application.

Go to Settings->Apps-> Apps & features->Mail and Calendar->Advanced options->Reset.

If resetting the app doesn't help, try with removing and re-adding the Email accounts to Mail app.

Delete an email account
    from Mail and Calendar apps

To re-add the accounts, follow the instructions mentioned in the link:
    Set up email in the Mail app for Windows

Hope it helps.

Please feel free to contact back in case you need any further help with this issue and let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking 'Yes' and 'No'.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Nov 27, 2018
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Windows 10 Mail app and Index Search

Hi Bahrudin,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you have
    the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with search and indexing of files and folders. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check the status of the issue. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

• Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Nov 27, 2018
  4. Native Mail App not searching correctly - doesn't seem to be indexed

Crucial: Whats wrong with Mail App Search Function

thanks for your suggestion, and no, the windows search index was not the problem. it's the mail app that does not work as expected:

expected behavior:

1. type a keyword
    2. return search results containing that keyword

observed behavior:

1. type a keyword
    2. no results
    3. search online
    4. still no results and no error msg

MasCaritas, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Native Mail App not searching correctly - doesn't seem to be indexed - Similar Threads - Native Mail App

2. Indexing bug: e-mail recipients indexed and searched only partly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Indexing bug: e-mail recipients indexed and searched only partly: Hi,There seems to be bug in the indexing of .msg files. I store Outlook .msg files in the file system. Hence I also search in these files in the file system, using File Explorer. If searching by to:SomeDomainName, the search results are incomplete. It seems that some .msg...
  3. Indexing bug: e-mail recipients indexed and searched only partly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Indexing bug: e-mail recipients indexed and searched only partly: Hi,There seems to be bug in the indexing of .msg files. I store Outlook .msg files in the file system. Hence I also search in these files in the file system, using File Explorer. If searching by to:SomeDomainName, the search results are incomplete. It seems that some .msg...
  4. Indexing bug: e-mail recipients indexed and searched only partly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location

in Cortana
    OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location: Search for a file in Windows 10 does not provide any results though the search goes on forever. I have rebuilt the index several times but to no avail. Also OneDrive doesn't appear as a index search location...
  6. Indexing for "all" search seems to have been scrambled

in Cortana
    Indexing for "all" search seems to have been scrambled: This happened recently, but there seems to be an issue with searching executables from the taskbar. It still finds installed programs, but for standalone exe files, it does not display them under the "all" search. It still displays under the "apps" tab when searching however....
  7. File search indexing seems to NOT include contents

in Cortana
    File search indexing seems to NOT include contents: Hello, again, and thank you for reading my post. When I had a WindowsXP PC, it was pretty easy to search a folder and its subfolders, too based on the contents of the files therein such as by asking for a search based on a keyword or other text string. However, with my...
  8. The search index doesn't work

in Cortana
    The search index doesn't work: The search index doesn't show anything and doesn't work at all and is extremely slow. I have tried all the tutorials and nothing works. I can't find the Cortana app either. I get this error message below, when trouble shooting the Search & Indexing. [ATTACH]...
  9. Windows Mail App: People Search Not Working Correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Mail App: People Search Not Working Correctly: Up until yesterday, when using Windows Mail app, when we wanted to locate the email address for a recipient, we could type a string in the To: field, and the contacts in the People app would be searched for that string in the contacts' first or last name, As of toady, the...
  10. Mail App is not working correctly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Mail App is not working correctly: The Mail App installed on my Windows 10 PC works incorrectly. I cannot find an option to index it so I reindexed my PC. However, Mail App is still working incorrectly...