Windows 10: Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow.

Discus and support Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; WINDOWS VERSION 1909 (OS BUILD 18363.1082) I'M EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE THREAD BELOW WHICH WAS POSTED IN MID JANUARY OF THIS YEAR. NOTHING... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DLEE, Oct 3, 2020.

1. DLEE Win User

Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow.

WINDOWS VERSION 1909 (OS BUILD 18363.1082)
    I'M EXPERIENCING THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE THREAD BELOW WHICH WAS POSTED IN MID JANUARY OF THIS
    YEAR. NOTHING ON THAT THREAD (NOW CLOSESD) SOLVED THE PROBLEM(S). TRIED A NUMBER OF POSSIBILITES
    THE USUAL, VIRAL PROGRAMS, FIREWALL, WINDOWS SECURITY, ETC. NOTHING WORKED. I BELIEVE IT HAS SOMETHING
    TO DO WITH INDEXING. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. PEER TO PEER NETWORK CONFIGUTATION, THREE STATIONS, ALL WIN10 PRO SAME VERSION, ONE IS THE SERVER CONTAINS THE DATA). SERVER IS ALSO WORK STATION,
    BUT PROBLEM EXISTS EVEN WITH NO APPS RUNNING ON THE SERVER.

Running Windows 10 Pro 1903. We have five systems, all running the same version of Windows. One acts as a 'data server' and has three internal drives. Drive 1 is for boot/system purposes only. The other two are used for data storage only and are shared as Data1 (LNavigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow. :) and Data2 (MNavigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow. :).

From my PC (and all others), I can navigate L: and M: fine in File Explorer - pop in and out of directories with no delay. But if I double-click on a PDF file, it will take about 20 seconds to open the file. Once Adobe Reader is up and running, however, double-clicking on subsequent files opens them immediately (about 1 second). This same behavior is seen in other apps (like Word) in which the initial file takes a long time to open, but once it is opened, other files open up right away. Once the app (Word, Reader, etc) is closed, the delay shows up again when I try to open something new. This also happens when simply starting a clean session of Word: Slow for the first doc. Fine for others after that. (Note: There is NO delay in opening a split Access database - the front end of which is stored on the C: drive.)

(Additional information: Copying a very small file (16kb) from a shared drive to my desktop introduces a pause - 10 seconds or so - at 99% progress before it finishes the task. Then, additional files (125MB) drag over right away - as in about 1-2 seconds. I waited about 15 minutes and tried it again and found the delay with the first file dragged again.

Yesterday, I disconnected from all shares and powered down my system. On the 'server', I created a new user, went into the sharing permissions, and added that new user with full control. I then powered up my system and mapped the drives to the shares, logging in with those new credentials. Everything worked as it should at that point: Initial opening of files was as fast as it should be. That was at 2pm yesterday. Today, everthing is fine until about 10am when the delay suddenly reappeared. And that's where I am now.

Anything obvious jumping out that I should look at? At one point - maybe a month ago - we weren't having these delays.

Thanks in advance,
    John
    Last edited by nhanimator; 17 Jan 2020 at 11:22.
    My ComputerQuote Quote
    Primis Player Placeholder

:)

DLEE, Oct 3, 2020

2. Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow.

Running Windows 10 Pro 1903. We have five systems, all running the same version of Windows. One acts as a 'data server' and has three internal drives. Drive 1 is for boot/system purposes only. The other two are used for data storage only and are shared as Data1 (LNavigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow. :) and Data2 (MNavigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow. :).

From my PC (and all others), I can navigate L: and M: fine in File Explorer - pop in and out of directories with no delay. But if I double-click on a PDF file, it will take about 20 seconds to open the file. Once Adobe Reader is up and running, however, double-clicking on subsequent files opens them immediately (about 1 second). This same behavior is seen in other apps (like Word) in which the initial file takes a long time to open, but once it is opened, other files open up right away. Once the app (Word, Reader, etc) is closed, the delay shows up again when I try to open something new. This also happens when simply starting a clean session of Word: Slow for the first doc. Fine for others after that. (Note: There is NO delay in opening a split Access database - the front end of which is stored on the C: drive.)

(Additional information: Copying a very small file (16kb) from a shared drive to my desktop introduces a pause - 10 seconds or so - at 99% progress before it finishes the task. Then, additional files (125MB) drag over right away - as in about 1-2 seconds. I waited about 15 minutes and tried it again and found the delay with the first file dragged again.

Yesterday, I disconnected from all shares and powered down my system. On the 'server', I created a new user, went into the sharing permissions, and added that new user with full control. I then powered up my system and mapped the drives to the shares, logging in with those new credentials. Everything worked as it should at that point: Initial opening of files was as fast as it should be. That was at 2pm yesterday. Today, everthing is fine until about 10am when the delay suddenly reappeared. And that's where I am now.

Anything obvious jumping out that I should look at? At one point - maybe a month ago - we weren't having these delays.

Thanks in advance,
    John

nhanimator, Oct 3, 2020
  3. kevthu Win User
    Excel files only open/save slow on network share

• Opening any Excel file, even an empty Excel file from any network share located on any machine on this domain network results in slow performance. When opening a file, Excel will state: "Downloading: <path name>", then will say "Processing...", then will
      say "Opening: <path name>", then will say "Processing...", and then finally opens. Once open the file performs normally.
    • The Save process is equally slow for any Excel file saving to a Network Share
    • Opening these same files locally on any machine is fast.
    • Opening any other file type on these shares is fast, including Word, pdf, jpg, etc. of much larger size than the Excel files.
    • The slow performance is seen on all machines on the network.
    It seems like this would be a network issue but I'm not sure where to start. Again it only affects Excel files, nothing else. But it affects all Excel files.

Some machines here are Windows 7 running Office 2010, but the same slow behavior is seen on Windows 10 machines running Office 365.

kevthu, Oct 3, 2020
  4. Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow.

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow.

1. Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow. - Similar Threads - Navigating share fine

2. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  3. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  4. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  6. LAN file sharing too slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    LAN file sharing too slow: The problem is very old i found reports from 10+ years, with hundreds of "copypaste" and generic anwers from microsoft over several websites and this forum, why no one ever cared enough to fix this, or at least tried to look into it?!?!Comparing a large file 20GB...
  7. Onedrive file navigation crazy slow

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Onedrive file navigation crazy slow: Hi everyone. I just did a new build with Windows 10. Specs below: 10900k Asus z490 Rog Hero 64gb Ram 1tb Samsung 970 EVO+ NVME 1tb Samsung 860 EVO SATA RTX 3080 So the computer is great and speedy but when it comes to file navigation on onedrive its incredibly slow....
  8. Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Navigating a share is fine. Opening a file is slow.: Running Windows 10 Pro 1903. We have five systems, all running the same version of Windows. One acts as a 'data server' and has three internal drives. Drive 1 is for boot/system purposes only. The other two are used for data storage only and are shared as Data1 (L:) and Data2...
  9. "open with" and opening of files slow

in Windows 10 Customization
    "open with" and opening of files slow: I have a problem were files associated for example with Word or Acrobat reader are slow to open. It seems Windows is confused which app to choose and takes long. If I reopen the same file it will open instantly or open another file with the app already open Also the "Open...
  10. Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Very, very, very, slow to open network share with many files: I have a Win10 PC on my network with some shared directories, the "server". The share I use most has 23,000 files in 600 folders. When I access that share from a Win 7 PC it opens pretty much instantly, but to open it from my Win 10 PC takes for ever. The green progress bar...