Windows 10: Navigation Pane Folder Expand/ Collapse Context Menu Location?

Discus and support Navigation Pane Folder Expand/ Collapse Context Menu Location? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I right click any expandable folder in the navigation pane then Expand appears at the top of the context menu or else Collapse appears if the folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Callender, May 8, 2021.

1. Callender Win User

Navigation Pane Folder Expand/ Collapse Context Menu Location?

If I right click any expandable folder in the navigation pane then Expand appears at the top of the context menu or else Collapse appears if the folder is already expanded. The issue: Both context menu entries for Expand/ Collapse show the wrong icon. I'm not even sure if there is supposed to be an icon displayed. The arrow in the screenshot is pointing at the icon that I'd like to remove. I cannot find it in the registry. Does anyone know where to look?

:)

Callender, May 8, 2021

2. Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane automatically expands/collapses folder tree

I have recently come to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (and Classic Shell). I am not an IT professional, nor enthusiast, but I know my way around a PC.

When I click on a folder in the file explorer navigation pane tree, it automatically expands the folder in the tree. It also automatically collapses the previous folder I had selected. This drives me nuts, as I am used to deciding for myself when to expand
    and collapse the tree.

How do I make it:

- just show the folder contents in the right pane when I select a folder in the tree

- only expand the folder when I tell it to

- leave expanded folders expanded when I select a different folder in the tree

(in other words, behave like Windows Explorer)?

PS - I will start throwing things at anyone who mentions the "Expand to current folder" setting, as this is not the answer.

skeletonbob, May 8, 2021
  3. Junaid_A Win User
    Open / Save as dialog boxes - choose whether to expand or collapse as default

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you would like to have a collapsed view of the items on the navigation pane of the File Explorer while saving a file. To do this, I would suggest you to try the steps listed below and see if it works.

• Open File Explorer
      and click on the View tab.
    • Click on the drop down next to
      Navigation Pane and uncheck Show all folders.
    • Exit File Explorer
      and try saving a file now.

Regards,

Junaid_A, May 8, 2021
  4. Navigation Pane Folder Expand/ Collapse Context Menu Location?

Windows 10 File Explorer navigation pane automatically expands/collapses folder tree

Open Start -> Programs -> Classic Shell -> Classic Explorer Settings. On the Navigation pane tab (or Basic Settings tab), set the option to "Windows Vista" style. It might be on Windows XP Simple. Simple Folder View (auto collapse when expanding the other
    folder) was a feature which was removed after XP. Classic Shell only optionally restores this behavior but retains the Vista option.

The default is Windows Vista option in fact. You must have changed it to Windows XP Simple and are now complaining.

Gaurav Kale, May 8, 2021
Thema:

Navigation Pane Folder Expand/ Collapse Context Menu Location?

1. Navigation Pane Folder Expand/ Collapse Context Menu Location? - Similar Threads - Navigation Pane Folder

2. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover: In Windows 10. I keep copying files into the wrong folders due to the system expanding a folder at the instant I release a file copy into a folder in the navigation pane. This is NOT the 'Expand to current fodler' problem. This is when I have grabbed a file to move or copy it...
  3. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover: In Windows 10. I keep copying files into the wrong folders due to the system expanding a folder at the instant I release a file copy into a folder in the navigation pane. This is NOT the 'Expand to current fodler' problem. This is when I have grabbed a file to move or copy it...
  4. how to stop navigation pane expanding folders on hover

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Show local disk C: as "expandable and collapsible" On navigation pane in file explorer in...

Show local disk C: as "expandable and collapsible" On navigation pane in file explorer in...: Hey! I'd like to display my local disk C: as an "expandable and collapsible" drive on the navigation pane in file explorer in Windows 10. Is this possible? [ATTACH]...
  6. Navigation pane keeps expanding folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Navigation pane keeps expanding folders: I have noticed that lately, the navigation pane has been expanding folders when opening them. That option is disabled in folder view settings. https://i.imgur.com/FcNSf9i.png https://i.imgur.com/Ext1HJd.png Noticed it on two separate computers. Its really annoying, any...
  7. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane: Now and then I want to view the full folder tree in Navigation Pane of File Explorer. There are some options to keep the folder tree open, but most of the time they are a pain in the butt. When I do want the tree visible, I have to go to the root disk and open each parent...
  8. Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder: Like the title says, I cannot get the navigation pane to expand to the currently open folder right now on one of my machines, it stays stuck on either Desktop or Quick Access. And mainly when navigating one of the virtual folders, like "My Documents". I think I need to go...
  9. Navigation pane - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Navigation pane - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10: How to: Navigation pane - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 How to Add Navigation pane to Context Menu in Windows 10 [img] Information You can use the navigation pane to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC, Network, and Homegroup. You...
  10. in Windows Explorer navigation pane, set default to collapse folders

in Windows 10 Support
    in Windows Explorer navigation pane, set default to collapse folders: it is really annoying to have to scroll way up in navigation pane to top (quick access items). I wish we could set some or all the items that are expanded to be collapsed when opening an explorer window. 26298