Windows 10: (navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its...

Discus and support (navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/nyakafk [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nyakafk, Feb 25, 2023.

1. (navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its...

/u/nyakafk, Feb 25, 2023
  2. Phil D Win User

File Explorer Navigation Pane Default Icons Have Changed

Hello! First time posting here.

I asked this question about a week ago on the HP community, and although a suggestion was offered, the problem persists.

I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the default:

(navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its... 012d1580329316t-file-explorer-navigation-pane-default-icons-have-changed-navigation-pane-default.jpg

to this:

(navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its... 013d1580329385t-file-explorer-navigation-pane-default-icons-have-changed-navigation-pane-changed.jpg

Notice they are folder icons with the unique icon picture 'overlay'

Brief history:
    • I have had my HP Spectre x360 15 (4K touch display) for about 6 weeks.
    • Initial file transfer was done using Windows (7) Easy Transfer (migwiz) which I have used on other machines without incident. Using the advanced selection; no settings were transferred, just Documents, Pictures, Music, Video.
    • I do not use any outside themes; just experimented a few times using the built in HP themes.
    • I have gone so far as to try overriding the current icons using the registry modifications mentioned in this Ten Forums post: Change Icons of Folders in This PC in Windows 10
    • When I tried the suggestions in Option One, the only change which occurred was that the unique icon picture was removed and only the plain folder icon remained. Yet the registry entries outlined in Option 2 “Change Icons of Folders in This PC for All Users” all appear to be correct.
    • There are no “exotic” programs on the computer – just Office 365, Adobe Photoshop/Premiere Elements, Bootstrap Studio, Inkscape, etc.
    Purchased at the same time was an HP Envy x360 laptop which is almost identical in specifications and installed programs except it has a regular Full HD touch screen (1920x1080). The Navigation Pane icons there are the expected 'default' as shown in the second screenshot.

Any ideas what may have caused this and any suggestions how to get the default icons back?

Phil D, Feb 25, 2023
  3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Hello Brink and thank you. This website is a very helpful resource. (navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its... :)

Your suggested answer will hide the User Profile folder in the Navigation Pane.

Instead, this scenario involves not hiding the User Profile folder but hiding specific Personal Folders in the Navigation Pane that are marked "Hidden" in the Files/Folders Listing Area.

My suspicion is that there are more "PinToNamespace" registry entries for me to toggle the DWORD value.

TechGuy737, Feb 25, 2023
  4. theMucker Win User

(navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its...

Navigation Pane Icon Size

Is there a way to increase the size of the drive and/or folder icons in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer? It's easy to change the icon size in the folder pane or on the desktop, but these changes don't seem to affect the icons in the navigation pane of Explorer. I have folders of photos and can assign a photo from within the folder as it's icon, but it's too small to make-out.

theMucker, Feb 25, 2023
Thema:

(navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its...

1. (navigation pane) looking for any way to change its icon, or hide it without removing its... - Similar Threads - navigation pane looking

2. Looking for a way to hide one Chrome instance from the taskbar without hiding its actual window

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Looking for a way to hide one Chrome instance from the taskbar without hiding its actual window: Image for clarity--what I'd like to be able to do is to disappear that Twitch window from the taskbar while still leaving the actual video it's playing visible on my second monitor. https://imgur.com/a/x7ML6wj I've come up with a lot of half-solutions--I can use virtual...
  3. Removing icons from File Explorer navigation pane

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Removing icons from File Explorer navigation pane: Hi. I have some items in the navigation pane of Win10 file explorer that I can't seem to get rid of. They point to nothing. When I right click them I have no option to delete. Here is a screen shot of what happens when I try to open one. Can anyone help me get rid of...
  4. Look for a specific way of navigation.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Look for a specific way of navigation.: I'm looking for a shortcut or something similar to let me move to open the folder next to the one already open. Like in my case. I have a bunch of albums in my Camera Roll. And I don't want to keep having to close the currently open album and click on the next one. Is there a...
  5. File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons have changed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons have changed: Hello. First time participating here. I asked this question a while ago on the HP community and the Ten Forums. Although suggestions were offered, the problem persists. I cannot give an exact date, but at some point my File Explorer Navigation Pane Icons changed from the...
  6. Pin RDP to File Explorer's navigation pane on its left.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Pin RDP to File Explorer's navigation pane on its left.: Is it possible to pin a running (if that's the right term) Windows RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) to File Explorer's navigation pane on its left....
  7. Customizing system icons and navigation pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    Customizing system icons and navigation pane: Hi everyone, I've got two small issues that are that get me really nitpicky when I'm reminded of them. I was hoping you could help me with those. So the first one is I'd like to customize system icons. Before the upgrade from Windows 7 I had IconPackger which was...
  8. Removing entries in navigation pane?

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing entries in navigation pane?: My navigation pane shows Joseph Simpson (‘my name’) & My PC. Under My PC (expanded) I can see my external H-drives; but they do not show under ‘my name’. Both are almost the same as far as entries (Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, etc. etc. Would it be safe to move most...
  9. Navigation Pane Icon Size

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane Icon Size: Is there a way to increase the size of the drive and/or folder icons in the navigation pane of Windows Explorer? It's easy to change the icon size in the folder pane or on the desktop, but these changes don't seem to affect the icons in the navigation pane of Explorer. I have...
  10. Remove/Hide folders in navigation pane in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove/Hide folders in navigation pane in Windows Explorer: Hi, I read the tutorial about Libraries, which doesn't cover my question. I do not use the Documents, Music, Pictures, or Videos folders and I 'd like to get them off the navigation pane, is there a way to do that? 78713