Windows 10: NCSI Causes no internet issue

Discus and support NCSI Causes no internet issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am having a mostly intermittent issue on computers running Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004. Sometimes the computer shows the globe in the bottom right... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by C. Chester, Aug 11, 2020.

1. NCSI Causes no internet issue

I am having a mostly intermittent issue on computers running Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004.

Sometimes the computer shows the globe in the bottom right of the task bar stating no internet connectivity, while there is actually internet connectivity. This is causing issues with certain applications such as communication between Outlook 365 and SharePoint. I have tried all the following steps:

- uninstall network driver and let windows 10 reinstall

- EnableActiveProbing regedit fix

- Flush DNS

- Disconnect from network and reconnect

Sometimes these actions will fix the issue, however it always comes back. Is there a known permanent solution to NCSI?

:)

C. Chester, Aug 11, 2020

2. Windows 2004 Force NCSI to say it has internet

Like many other posters here, I have run into issues where the computer thinks it does not have internet due to NCSI failing, even though the computer does in fact have internet. The is causing Office authentication to fail. Is there a way to force NCSI
    to think that it always has internet? The computer is always connected to the internet, so false positives won't be an issue.

David Harron, Aug 11, 2020
  3. KenBerns Win User
    Network Connection Status Indicator (NCSI) Showing No Internet, but Browsing Works Fine.

I am using a Fortigate 100D UTM with 65 PCs connected. 22 of them have this issue. All the PCs are on the same Network / Domain so I find it hard to believe that there is a problem with the Router / UTM Firewall as all PCs would
    be showing the same NCSI error.

As for your remaining suggestions; I've done all of these things, multiple times on several different PCs and all returned the same results - NCSI thinks there is No Internet but clicking on the icon resolves the issue, albeit
    temporarily (several hours). Windows Troubleshooter does not find anything wrong with the Network Connection or Internet Connection.

If there were issues with the Firewall, NIC, or AV the "No Internet" issue would remain regardless. Clicking on the NCSI icon initiates a probe of the Internet via WinHTTP and the results of that probe satisfies NCSI requirements
    and the status is changed.

Do you have any information or perhaps a script to test NCSI using WinHTTP?

KenBerns, Aug 11, 2020
  4. KenBerns Win User

NCSI Causes no internet issue

Network Connection Status Indicator (NCSI) Showing No Internet, but Browsing Works Fine.

22 of 65 PCs are showing No Internet in NCSI, but the Internet is working fine on all 65 PCs

We are experiencing authentication problems (with the 22 PCs) with Office 365 and clicking on the INCS icon removed the "No Internet" warning and the authentication issue goes away (for a while).

NCSI Causes no internet issue cfa5f184-841c-4ca1-bce9-d3b975ddde68?upload=true.jpg

I've done considerable research on the operation of NCSI - The URLs are available [www.msftncsi.com ], [http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt],
    [dns.msftncsi.com ], [131.107.255.255.] and the DNS resolves correctly, however I have not been able to test the availability
    using WinHTTP. I suspect that's where the problem is.

That said, this is what I've tried:

• Update NIC driver.
    • Revert NIC driver.
    • Change Buffering in the NIC.
    • Confirmed that the Firewall and AV are not the cause.
    • Ran Network Troubleshooter - No problem found.
    • Confirmed that Network Location Service was running and tried setting to Delayed Start.
    • Confirmed that Network Lists Service was running.
    • Added [dns.msftncsi.com] to the HOSTS file.
    • Disabled "EnableActiveProbing" in the registry - (This gave mixed results)
    There seems to be quite a bit of chatter on the web about this problem but no one seems to have a fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KenBerns, Aug 11, 2020
Thema:

NCSI Causes no internet issue

1. NCSI Causes no internet issue - Similar Threads - NCSI Causes internet

2. Windows NCSI Showing as Offline, even though there is internet access.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows NCSI Showing as Offline, even though there is internet access.: Hi, Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue? The NCSI in Windows 10 is showing as offline even though there is an internet connection. This effects certain desktop apps from opening. Adobe, Outlook Desktop etc. This naturally is slowing down productivity for some of our...
  3. Windows NCSI Showing as Offline, even though there is internet access.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows NCSI Showing as Offline, even though there is internet access.: Hi, Wondering if anyone else has seen this issue? The NCSI in Windows 10 is showing as offline even though there is an internet connection. This effects certain desktop apps from opening. Adobe, Outlook Desktop etc. This naturally is slowing down productivity for some of our...
  4. Windows NCSI Showing as Offline, even though there is internet access.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. NAS connectivity challenges NCSI?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NAS connectivity challenges NCSI?: For the past two years, I have had intermittent connectivity to my QNAP NASs. Sometime in 2020 from doing Google searches and viewing other forums, problems started popping up and users were unable to access their NASs. For...
  6. NAS connectivity challenges NCSI?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NAS connectivity challenges NCSI?: For the past two years, I have had intermittent connectivity to my QNAP NASs. Sometime in 2020 from doing Google searches and viewing other forums, problems started popping up and users were unable to access their NASs. For...
  7. NCSI No internet symbol

NCSI No internet symbol: Hello there,This issue has been driving me mad for weeks.I have thought dozens of internet pages and checked everything that I can think of but on some computers almost all of them laptops I get the no internet symbol, event though internet is just fine.The best reference I...
  8. Windows 2004 Force NCSI to say it has internet

Windows 2004 Force NCSI to say it has internet: Like many other posters here, I have run into issues where the computer thinks it does not have internet due to NCSI failing, even though the computer does in fact have internet. The is causing Office authentication to fail. Is there a way to force NCSI to think that it...
  9. windows 10 1909 on desktop is causing ncsi fail.

windows 10 1909 on desktop is causing ncsi fail.: I just bought win 10 and did a clean install on my main desktop. It is causing a DNS problem on the router tp - link vr400 and then my other devices can no longer access the internet. If I reboot the router, and do not not connect the desktop, everything is fine. I've tried...
  10. Windows 10 1903, NCSI

Windows 10 1903, NCSI: I have a single PC that wont perform an active probe to detect internet connectivity. Both registry keys are configured to force enable active probing but it still doesn't. Has anyone any idea why this could be. Passive probing works but as we are sat behind a proxy this is...