Windows 10: Nearly infinite spinning dots on grey background before lock screen

Discus and support Nearly infinite spinning dots on grey background before lock screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a clean (other than a few new programs) windows 10 install on my pretty powerful desktop. Just today for some irrational reason, when I boot up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 459pm, Aug 17, 2015.

1. 459pm Win User

Nearly infinite spinning dots on grey background before lock screen

I have a clean (other than a few new programs) windows 10 install on my pretty powerful desktop. Just today for some irrational reason, when I boot up my PC, and select the OS I want, I'm met with a great screen with the spinning dot animation. So j left it. I left it for a while. It took nearly 2 hours to get to the lock screen. I thought it was running a disk check or installing updates or somthing annoying so I ignored it. Fast forward to this evening. I had a BSOD from what I think was a bad OC. Booted up PC and was met with the same grey background with white spinning dots. I'm able to press ctl+alt+del and get the options for power/restart/sleep and ease of access/accessibility in the bottom right corner, but no amount of restarts seems to get past this. So I'm sitting here waiting for it to muscle through to the lock screen like it did this afternoon...

Please help!

P. S. Windows 10 installer USB drive startup repair said it couldn't do anything.

:)

459pm, Aug 17, 2015

2. Nearly infinite spinning dots on boot before lockscreen

I am having the same issue. I changed the owner of some files on my computer from "trustedinstaller" to administrators then rebooted my system and this happened. it was working before other than some permission issues (which i was in the middle of fixing).
    Its been 3 days and still no luck. i cant even get into the login to try any of the suggested fixes. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Leon McCall, Aug 17, 2015
  3. Babu V Win User
    Nearly infinite spinning dots on boot before lockscreen

Hi Ethan,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community.

You may disconnect all the unnecessary external devices connected to the computer (except the mouse and the keyboard) and check the behavior.

If the issue still persists,perform
    SFC scan from the
    advance startup options.

Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.

Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, select
    safe mode with command prompt, type sfc /scannow

Also type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Restart the computer and check if you can login to the computer.

Babu V, Aug 17, 2015
  4. lupus2401 Win User

I have the same issue.
    Has a solution been found?

lupus2401, Sep 16, 2015
  5. 459pm Win User
    I ended up just having to Uninstall windows 10, install 7, upgrade to 10, and do a system refresh to get clean installation. That's the know thing I found would fix the problem. =/

459pm, Sep 16, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    It may have been that the overclock led to a corrupted OS. That is the joy of overclocking! I try to always make an image of the drive before overclocking. It has saved me lots of time over the years.

WhyMe, Sep 16, 2015
  7. lupus2401 Win User
    Well for anyone that might help, I found a "temporary" solution.
    Disabling the Credential Manager from the Services. This allowed me to make windows 10 log in screen to appear normally, rather than 4-6 hours later.
    (Go to Run -> services.msc and find an disable it)

PS: I did not do any over-clocking.

lupus2401, Sep 16, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Thanks for posting up a solution *Smile Was yours originally set for auto or manual?

(And the overclock bit I mentioned earlier was meant for the op)

WhyMe, Sep 16, 2015
  9. lupus2401 Win User
    To be honest I dont remember since I was struggling to find a solution all night. But I think it was Auto. Manual seems to activate it and cause the same issue.

lupus2401, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Nearly infinite spinning dots on grey background before lock screen - Similar Threads - Nearly infinite spinning

2. Blank grey screen with spinning dots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blank grey screen with spinning dots: Hi,I just thought I'd post this as a new thread, because the 'original' thread from 2017 is now locked and can't receive further contributions...
  3. Blank grey screen with spinning dots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blank grey screen with spinning dots: Hi,I just thought I'd post this as a new thread, because the 'original' thread from 2017 is now locked and can't receive further contributions...
  4. Blank grey screen with spinning dots

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Infinite spinning dots/ PC won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Infinite spinning dots/ PC won't start: My pc will turn on and display the spinning circle of dots but won't boot windows. This has happened about a month ago, however due to school and spring break I've been unable to give it the attention it needs to be fixed. I believe that these issues happened after a power...
  6. Infinite spinning dots/ PC won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Infinite spinning dots/ PC won't start: My pc will turn on and display the spinning circle of dots but won't boot windows. This has happened about a month ago, however due to school and spring break I've been unable to give it the attention it needs to be fixed. I believe that these issues happened after a power...
  7. Infinite spinning dots/ PC won't start

8. black screen and spinning dots

black screen and spinning dots: I updated my two Windows 10 laptop and got an issue on both of them. At present when I am rebooting my PC, I see spinning circle on the black screen. I tried to restore the system but it didn’t help. Laptops are Dell and Lenovo. I updated to 1809 version...
  9. infinite spinning dots on black logo screen - after windows 10 updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    infinite spinning dots on black logo screen - after windows 10 updates: Hi - we have had some Windows 10 laptops that have had upstart issues after Windows 10 updates. After restart we see infinite spinning dots on black logo screen. Some times you can succeed with system restore - of a restore point, and sometimes this is not available -...
  10. Windows 10 infinite spinning dots before booting

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 infinite spinning dots before booting: I have an HP Pavilion Notebook x64 running Windows 10. It worked perfectly until I changed the permissions of the user folder so that my account was able to access it. Then the computer shut off and is unable to be turned back on. It shows the windows logo and then it becomes...