Windows 10: Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due...

Discus and support Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, In order to work with Lightroom directory tree from a previous failed NAS which was backed up to OneDrive I need the ca 1TB pictures restored... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JensN, Jul 23, 2019.

1. JensN Win User

Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due...

Hi there,
    In order to work with Lightroom directory tree from a previous failed NAS which was backed up to OneDrive I need the ca 1TB pictures restored to a like structure on a new NAS.

When trying to Restore / copy picture files from my local Onedrive folder to an external drive (NAS) I kept getting this error:

"There is not enough free space on Local Disk. You need an additional xxx GB to copy these files"

One solution was to enable files on demand (I'm aware the opposite has been stated as a solution) and select a 'fitting' number of directories to copy.

Every so often the error would repeat and a renewed 'free space' command on my onedrive directory got the copy function back working.

THEN I started to get to messages 'Files are not awailable for synching, skip or try again'... only Skip worked

After doing this, I checked the directory tree manually and found several directories missing on the NAS.

This time I went for manual directory by directory copying, Ctrl C, Alt Tab, Ctrl V, Alt-Tab arrow down and so on... (no I didnt write a script, though I'm tempted to do so.)

During this I also found several directories allready copied during the first process had 1-2 missing pictures , so now I have to make a dir -r > tjeck NAS.txt and same for OneDrive (if the DOS command works there) and then compare the text files

This would likely not be a problem if I had a free 2TB harddisk all OneDrive files could sync to (I think). I also suppose the 'Files not awailable for sync' may be caused by files having same filenames even being in different directories.

So far I'm hoping the process will allow me to free one of the previously backed up harddisks, mappping that to OneDrive and the issue will not be present, but It is STILL a major issue for the reliability seen of OneDrive as a cloud backup...

I also have a nasty comment regarding the initial error message: It was not apparent the directory with not enough space was my local hard disk, thinking the NAS was at fault, since only the directory name was flagged, not the drive letter... took me some more time to realise that.

So all in all a easy restore operation has turned into a long drawn out manual job.

Best hopes of a good reply/solution

:)

JensN, Jul 23, 2019

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Jul 23, 2019
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Backup and restore with Onedrive

I would grab that backup file from onedrive and copy to your local machine.

Then go to control panel - system and security - backup and restore.

Run a restore and point to that backup file.

SarahKong, Jul 23, 2019
  4. RCoon Win User

Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due...

OneDrive - Bait and switch (but to what?)

Google Drive offers 17GB free, I see no discernible reason to bother with OneDrive's crippled storage capacity.

EDIT: For a painless transfer, I used microsoft's SyncToy to do a daily backup of DropBox/OneDrive items nightly at 4PM to a Google Drive folder. Once I had finished setting up my phone's automatic backup and had my work flow transferred, I just stopped the auto-backup script and uninstalled OneDrive/DropBox and carried on using Google Drive. Switching cloud storage service isn't remotely arduous.

RCoon, Jul 23, 2019
Thema:

1. Need a 1TB backup restored from OneDrive to a local NAS HDD and cant copy from OneDrive due... - Similar Threads - Need 1TB backup

2. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  3. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’: OneDrive backup moved a lot of my files to OneDrive and I’d like to put them back where they were on my laptop and go back to selectively choose which files to store on OneDrive. things are a mess. Is there an ‘easy’ way to do this short on selecting those files one by one ....
  4. Restore files from OneDrive ‘backup’

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Copying files from OneDrive

Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  6. Copying files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copying files from OneDrive: When I try and copy 100 MB of files from OneDrive to another drive, if the destination drive does not have 200 MB of space twice the size of the files to be copied, Windows will tell me there is not enough room to copy the files.After the files are copied, they only take up...
  7. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  8. Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy only local files, don't copy from OneDrive: I have a folder ~1 gb that I want to move to another drive.If I try to copy this folder, it wants to download ~23 gb from OneDrive first.How do I only copy the files that are only available locally?...
  9. Trying to access HDD from a NAS locally

Trying to access HDD from a NAS locally: my brother has a NAS and has forgotten the login details (duh) cant reset the device as he will lose his data therefore I have taken the HDD out and put it into a HDD caddy to connect locally to my laptop however as it was a NAS the disk is formatted in a certain format and...
  10. Backup and restore with Onedrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore with Onedrive: I recently was fixing my partner's laptop drive via hooking it up to my PC. I was trying to format the laptop's drive and in the process I also formatted my P c's drive. But luckily within the last 2 weeks prior to the formatting, I was finally able to use my OneDrive...