Windows 10: Need a "partial" system image file

Discus and support Need a "partial" system image file in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; In addition to the Windows 10 environment, my 128GB SSD system disk contains about 55GB of non-system data. I'd like to create a "minimal" system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Harmand, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Harmand Win User

Need a "partial" system image file

In addition to the Windows 10 environment, my 128GB SSD system disk contains about 55GB of non-system data. I'd like to create a "minimal" system backup image file from which to restore just the system (boot sectors, Windows files and installed programs, totalling about 30GB), without those non-system data.

In other words:
    I'd like to obtain a single file from which to be able, in the event of SSD failure, to quickly restore just my system environment in a new (possibly bigger) SSD disk.

I was able to do something similar quite easily last year (when I added the SSD disk to my PC) by using a software that came with the SSD. I just had to "clone" my system HDD to the SSD, then change the boot order in the BIOS and finally reboot the system. In less than 20 minutes the SSD had become the "new" C: and everything was OK.
    What I liked the most in that software was the ability, wisely designed for cases where the SSD is less spacious then the existing hard disk, to exclude from the operation (by selecting them) some folders, obviously provided they are not related to the Windows environment itself.
    Sadly that software does not work the opposite way, which is what I need know.

Such a task, which looks quite obvious to me, seems to be very... weird, as it's almost never mentioned in any articles or reviews or tutorials about backups, disk cloning, system imaging and so on.
    Maybe I am the weird one, but I'm still hoping to find a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice. :]

:)

Harmand, Sep 13, 2018

2. System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Sep 13, 2018
  3. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Sep 13, 2018
  4. Need a "partial" system image file

System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Sep 13, 2018
Thema:

Need a "partial" system image file

1. Need a "partial" system image file - Similar Threads - Need partial system

2. Here's a method to backup windows 10 files with a system image and no need for...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Here's a method to backup windows 10 files with a system image and no need for...: This is SO fast that there is no need to go outside of Windows 10 built-in backup utility "sdclt" from Run prompt.You WON'T NEED incrementals. You can back everything up full and trash the previous backups. It's THAT FAST.Quite simple;Get a 12Gbps SAS-capable storage...
  3. System image file

System image file: I have created a system image file on a external hard disk, after completion of that i couldnt see my pre existing data on that drive external hard disk and it showing that hard disk capacity as 39 GB instead of 1 TB, Can anyone help me regarding this ??...
  4. system image and file history

system image and file history: I have two computers running windows 10 can I store a system image and file history for each computer on a single portable hard drive https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-image-and-file-history/36443901-9026-456b-8717-e1b31ded2559
  5. Creating system image file

Creating system image file: Hello, I have been having a problem creating an image file. I do so on its own and don't include a backup of my files. I have a screen image of the error I received which I hope will help someone. I am no expert and need guidance please to rectify. I will copy/paste the...
  6. System Image needed to restore Windows?

System Image needed to restore Windows?: I'm trying to backup my folders/drives, by using Restore and Backup Windows 7, system image is a "must have"? or it is ok to backup only files/folders/drives with my choice? Can I restore my usual work envoriment by connecting my backup external drive? I'm talking about in a...
  7. Deleting system image file

Deleting system image file: Hi I have read lots of advice about deleting system image files but I get blocked everytime by the message 'file is in use and cannot be deleted' and I have no idea how to get around this any suggestions please. Windows 10 user#...
  8. "File System Error" on opening Image files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "File System Error" on opening Image files: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. I encounter a problem recently that when I open any image file, Photos app opens and closes with a flash and showing this error on all kind of pictures. [ATTACH] One change I have observed it that a new app auto installed...
  9. System Image and file history

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image and file history: I am backing up to a new seagate 1tb external drive. I mainly want to back up file history, which is turned on, but I think it is also doing a system image back up as a default. Taken about 4 hours and using more space than files and folders etc. Is this a once only system...
  10. System image file issues

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System image file issues: Before I installed a M.2 card, I made a System Image file using Win7 tools. It asks you which partitions on "C" you want to backup. There were 4 partitions and 2 were pre-selected by Windows. I did not choose any additional partitions and ran the back-up. I rebooted to a...