Windows 10: Need a script to recursively change folder view properties

Discus and support Need a script to recursively change folder view properties in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have created a file explorer shortcut, which connects to a remote web server via FTP and opens a convenient folder view window. It is a convenience... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PeterPan2000, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Need a script to recursively change folder view properties

I have created a file explorer shortcut, which connects to a remote web server via FTP and opens a convenient folder view window. It is a convenience for me when updating a few files, because I can easilly navigate around, dragging and dropping files in and out. The problem is, the folder displays an ICON view. If I switch to what i want (Details view) it is remembered even after closing the connection or even re-booting. BUT... when i look at sub folders, they are all still in the ICON view. I can manually change every sub folder, and every subfolder beyond and again my choices are remembered. But if you consider that a folder for web site data has hundreds of nested folders, it should be apparent that opening each one manually to select the view is inconvenient.

Now I don't want to use the usual method of making ALL folders EVERYWHERE in the system have the same view. I also notice that in my FTP explorer view, I can't even do the usual procedure of selecting VIEW from the dropdown menu, followed by Options->Change Folder and View Options->View->Apply to Folders, because that box is grayed out and can't be clicked.

So anyway, I think a useful utility script would be one that allows me to pass a starting folder (or shortcut to one) and a view specification (like DETAILS), and have that script recursively traverse all folders, setting every one it finds to the desired view. I think I've seen scripts like this for setting file/folder permissions, but I'm not well versed enough in VBS script writing, nor how and where in the registry (I assume?) to make these settings via script. Perhaps there is an easier approach to this, but a script is the first thing that came to mind.

Any help appreciated.

:)

PeterPan2000, Apr 18, 2020

2. Custom Folder view for new folders registery hack ?

Te new folder has default view of LIST

I want DETAILS

When making new system ... it's a pain in ass changing always.

RuskiSnajper, Apr 18, 2020
  3. mrgeek Win User
    Change Folder View Layout in Windows 10

"uhm that method does not work. i want to set folder view as List as default instead Details for all folders"
    Did you download and run Brink's .bat file in Step 1 ? Lacking that, look at the screens in post 3. In Step 5 'folders of this type' defaults to each of the Windows templates for Pictures, Music, etc. If you want ALL folders to have the same List view, r-click any folder in each of the 5 folders under This PC (Desktop does not apply) and hit 'Customize this folder'. Set to 'Optimize this folder for General Items". Then follow the screen in post 3 using List instead of Details in Step 1 and you should be good to go.

mrgeek, Apr 18, 2020
  4. Need a script to recursively change folder view properties

set default folder view in Windows 10?

Looks like the only way to change all folders to list view in Windows 10 is to manually (and laboriously) go through your file structure and set the view for all folders and subfolders, one by one, to "list." After which, what guarantee does one have that
    at some point the OS will not change things back to what it deems appropriate?

Might there be some way of recursively setting all folders and subfolders to list view using the command line?

Russell.Snyder, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

Need a script to recursively change folder view properties

1. Need a script to recursively change folder view properties - Similar Threads - Need script recursively

2. Viewing Properties Not Shown

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Viewing Properties Not Shown: I'm currently trying to view the detailed properties of an image. However, some fields are not shown completely, ending in ... How can I view the information that is hidden by the ...?...
  3. Viewing Properties Not Shown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Viewing Properties Not Shown: I'm currently trying to view the detailed properties of an image. However, some fields are not shown completely, ending in ... How can I view the information that is hidden by the ...?...
  4. Viewing Properties Not Shown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Change folder view options

Change folder view options: Hi. I want to permanently change the folder view options but what I want to do isn't available under the "Options" & "View" dialogue box. I would like to have the following columns in all my folders every time I open them: Name - Date Modified - Size - Path. That's all. The...
  6. Folder view has changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder view has changed: Winver 1909 (OS Build 18363.836) My folder view suddenly changed as per the attached. How do I get it back to normal? I went into file explorer>options>reset but nothing changed. 157508
  7. Changing Folder Views To Stick

Changing Folder Views To Stick: Often I go to a folder and have to change the View, View>Large Icons. can I make all folders always open to Large Icons?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-folder-views-to-stick/c9ad4a1e-7874-45f7-b8d7-5cf1897c58fe
  8. Quick Access folder view changes when sub folder views are changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Quick Access folder view changes when sub folder views are changed: Clicking the File Explorer to get to the Quick Access screen, "Recent folders" is in a separate pane at the top and "recent files" is at the bottom. This is how I want my Quick Access folder to look all the time. However, when I go to other folders on my computer and want to...
  9. View document properties

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    View document properties: I want to REMOVE the document Type column from the opening window list of items in each folder. How can I change this setting? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/view-document-properties/ead525c4-7108-4b3b-b5d6-09e52b3191a6
  10. File explorer view file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view file/folder properties: So I want all folders and files to view as "large icons"(I'm doing all of this in File Explorer) I went to C: drive, and clicked on large icons so folders and files display as such >Folder options>click on the view tab> then Apply to Folders [img] Folders and files...