Windows 10: Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons?

Discus and support Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I try to change a shortcut icon on my desktop I get:- [img] This despite the fact that I am admin, I own the desktop, and have full access.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Hairy Scot, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons?

When I try to change a shortcut icon on my desktop I get:-

Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons? [​IMG]

This despite the fact that I am admin, I own the desktop, and have full access.

:)

Hairy Scot, Dec 12, 2020

2. Desktop Shortcut Icons

Hi Mik-Dav,

The desktop shortcut created for a specific website should bear the website's actual logo. With what you've experienced, there could be something wrong with how the shortcut was created.

If you've created the shortcut by selecting Create shortcut, then we suggest that you try the other way, that is by dragging the website icon that appears in the address bar to your desktop. Follow these steps:

• Using Internet Explorer, access a website.
    • Once the website opens, you will see its icon in the address bar.
    • Click and drag the icon on your desktop.

The website shortcut bearing its actual logo should now be saved on your desktop.

Let us know if you need further help.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Dec 12, 2020
  4. Error 404 Win User

Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons?

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons? :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons?

1. Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons? - Similar Threads - Need admin permission

2. Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need admin permission to change desktop shortcut icons?: When I try to change a shortcut icon on my desktop I get:- [img] This despite the fact that I am admin, I own the desktop, and have full access. 170295
  3. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and taken many hours of my time trying to find a fix. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes every few minutes to a variety of icons, a small handful of...
  4. Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop Icon Shortcut Overlay Randomly Changing: [ATTACH] Hello everyone, I'm running into a bug that is obscure, driving me nuts, and sucked many hours of my time. On Windows 10 Home, the shortcut overlay image on my desktop icons routinely changes (every few minutes) to a variety of icons, a small handful of some...
  5. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  6. need admin permission

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    need admin permission: I recently got a new hp laptop to work from home. my mcafee expired so I updated the subscription. when I clicked verify subscription it asks for admin name and password but there is not option for it. also I am the only user or account and it was admin account but it has...
  7. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...
  8. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  9. Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Need Help With Creating Icons for Desktop Shortcuts: In trying to create desktop shortcuts to websites that have recognizable icons, instead of Microsoft's generic, look-alike ones, I tried to follow this excellent, step-by-step YouTube video which was generously submitted by Edwin, however I got stuck at one point, and don't...
  10. desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving

in Windows 10 Support
    desktop shortcut icons keep changing/moving: my desktop shortcut icons keep changing size and moving about. this isn't a big deal; just annoying. check out the attachments. any ideas? [img] [img] [img] 60173