Windows 10: Need Advanced Answer: File Explorer.exe Thumbnails

Discus and support Need Advanced Answer: File Explorer.exe Thumbnails in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I was unable to find any documentation that answers this question: What/how does Explorer.exe decide which application renders a thumbnail?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GeraldSchwab, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Need Advanced Answer: File Explorer.exe Thumbnails

Hi,

I was unable to find any documentation that answers this question:

What/how does Explorer.exe decide which application renders a thumbnail?

I've seen lots of replies on this forum that say "Set the default program" or setting the default program controls what renders the image as a thumbnail but this is not true.

I have a thumbnail viewer pretty awesome btw called ImageGlass - way better than default one that comes with Windows10 and ImageGlass is set to the default program to view all my images....

But only certain image types have a preview thumbnail, for example:

.png has a thumb

.jpg has a thumb

.gif has no thumb

but ImageGlass is the default application that opens all 3x formats.

So what I'm looking for is, what registry keys, or what settings define which DLL, or EXE is used to render thumbnails? Does the program have to respond to certain OLE apis or respect certain flags/switches when the thumb is passed from explorer.exe to said application?

Or can anyone point me to documentation that explains in detail, how the thumbnail rendering happens?

I feel like there should be more stuff available than "set the default program".

:)

GeraldSchwab, Oct 29, 2020
  2. Dgo47 Win User

File Explorer not showing thumbnails

Brink,

Many thanks for you reply. I have done all the steps you suggested, but no change,

When I open a folder containing photos, some open correctly but the vast majority open with thumbnails, but they very quickly get overwritten and you can not longer see the thumbnails.

Are there any more suggestions?

Dgo47, Oct 29, 2020
  3. jsmin Win User
    Windows Explorer crashes and thumbnails problem

Hi, I hope you can help me.
    Windows Explorer is no longer showing thumbnails on files played by Windows Media Player. I've run cmd and regsvr32 shmedia.dll and regsvr32 shimgvw.dll. That seemed to solve the problem...but it created a different one. Now when I try to open a folder on an external hard drive it crashes. I read in an old 2008 post it was an avi file causing the problem and suggested the run cmd regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll. That solved the opening problem but recreated the thumbnail problem. Any help to achieve both functions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jsmin, Oct 29, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

Need Advanced Answer: File Explorer.exe Thumbnails

"This file can't be previewed" problem in explorer

Hi Deborah,

For us to provide an accurate resolution, kindly elaborate the issue by answering the questions listed below:

• Since when have you been experiencing this issue?
    • Were there any changes on your PC before this happened like software or updates installed?

For initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Access this link

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    • Delete all the files.
    • After deleting the files kindly try and see if there's a thumbnail preview of your files.

We're looking forward to your response.

Paolo Mag, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

Need Advanced Answer: File Explorer.exe Thumbnails

1. Need Advanced Answer: File Explorer.exe Thumbnails - Similar Threads - Need Advanced Answer

2. file explorer thumbnails missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer thumbnails missing: I have asked for help before in this forum and a few responses have temporarily fixed the problem. I would really like a permanent fix. I have tried several of the fixes such as... Uncheck the box next to Always show icons, never thumbnails.and... File Explorer can also bug...
  3. file explorer thumbnails missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer thumbnails missing: I have asked for help before in this forum and a few responses have temporarily fixed the problem. I would really like a permanent fix. I have tried several of the fixes such as... Uncheck the box next to Always show icons, never thumbnails.and... File Explorer can also bug...
  4. File explorer thumbnails not showing.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer thumbnails not showing.: Recently file explorer stopped showing the thumbnails and showed a white file in its place. I tried going into view and changing the settings but it was all normal. [ATTACH]...
  5. Thumbnails not showing in file explorer

Thumbnails not showing in file explorer: I don't know if this is still happening to anyone else but recently all the thumbnails/icons for my files are not showing up. It happened either late last night or earlier today out of the blue and nothing is working to fix it. Does anyone know any methods to fix the issue?...
  6. File Explorer is not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer is not showing thumbnails: My Canon camera has the updated firmware. When I downloaded to the PC and opened the File Explorer, I saw just icons rather than thumbnails. It is Canon RP file extension cr3. Other file extensions show thumbnails. How to solve this problem??...
  7. File Explorer not showing thumbnails

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer not showing thumbnails: My file explorer is not displaying thumbnails ( as it was earlier) instead it is showing default program icon ( windows photo viewer, set as default for all pictures) for all picture files like jpgs, bmps. When I browse folders containing pictures. at first it displays...
  8. Pictures won't show as thumbnails in File Explorer Pictures folder. I have a answer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pictures won't show as thumbnails in File Explorer Pictures folder. I have a answer: Pictures won't show as thumbnails in File Explorer on Windows 10 Just bought a new HP Win10 laptop and for some reason File Explorer would not show most of my pictures or as thumbnails. But with hundreds of files in a dozen folders trying to upload a picture to Facebook or a...
  9. File explorer missing thumbnails

File explorer missing thumbnails: How to find thumbnails instead of icons in file explorer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-missing-thumbnails/57dcfeb0-3cff-4a19-9a9a-2dcd3f113775"
  10. Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes: Hello, I noticed yesterday that after using File Explorer for a short while, it stops showing any thumbnails, and only shows a plain white icon, not even the default icon for a file type. I tried all the usual methods for showing thumbnails, but to no avail. Then, after...