Windows 10: Need advice: New ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 for old MSI G41M-P28 MB?

Discus and support Need advice: New ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 for old MSI G41M-P28 MB? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I wonder if anyone here who still dabbles with older systems might be able to offer advice on upgrading my graphics card. I built an HTPC in 2012 with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by ohante, May 5, 2021.

1. ohante Win User

Need advice: New ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 for old MSI G41M-P28 MB?

I wonder if anyone here who still dabbles with older systems might be able to offer advice on upgrading my graphics card. I built an HTPC in 2012 with a MSI G41M-P28 MB (see specs here) that has served my purposes well since. I don't do any gaming, though recently I've been streaming a lot more video in multiple windows and am seeing some uneven playback when starting a 2nd or 3rd stream while recording one of them. There are 3 issues I'd like to address with a new card: * Can't screen record full screen 1920 x 1280 smoothly. * Jumpy video streaming video in multiple windows while recording one of them. * Scrolling web browsers gets slightly jumpy while streaming video. From what I can see, it seems the best new graphics card for my budget and motherboard is probably the ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 (see specs here). I'm not all that tech savvy, but it seems the biggest performance issue may be my motherboard's PCI-E X16 2.1 expansion slot. The ZOTAC should fit in the x16 slot, but I'm wondering how much performance I'll loose from its PCIe 3.0 capability. I'm seeing these PCIe specs on Tom's Hardware that indicate my mb will limit the ZOTAC to a 5 GT/s transfer rate: PCIe 2.0 - 16 GB/s - 5 GT/s - 5 GHz PCIe 3.0 - 32 GB/s - 8 GT/s - 8 GHz I'll paste the ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 specs below, and you can find my HTPC's specs in my user info in the left sidebar here under 'My Computer'. Could someone tell me if I might face issues with this ZOTAC card other than a slight reduction of performance speed? I'm guessing it ought to address the 3 issues I list above that my old ATI AMD Radeon HD 5570 (see specs here) is experiencing. Thanks so very much for any feedback on all this! My MSI G41M-P28 MB Specs ZOTAC GT 1030 Specs -------------------------------- GPU GPU Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1030 Stream Processors: 384 CUDA Cores Boost Clock Speed: 1468 MHz Base Clock Speed: 1227 MHz Interface: PCI Express 3.0 x16 Supported APIs: DirectX: 12, OpenGL: 4.5, CUDA, Vulkan MEMORY Memory Speed: 6 Gb/s Memory Configuration: 2 GB Memory Interface: GDDR5 Memory Interface Width: 64-Bit Memory Bandwidth: 48 GB/s DISPLAY SUPPORT Display Connectors: 1 x DVI-D SL, 1 x HDMI 2.0b Maximum Digital Resolution: 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz POWER REQUIREMENTS Max Power Consumption: 30 W PCI Power Connectors: None Recommended System Power Requirement: 300 W

:)

ohante, May 5, 2021
  2. ohante Win User

I wonder if anyone here who still dabbles with older systems might be able to offer advice on upgrading my graphics card. I built an HTPC in 2012 with a MSI G41M-P28 MB (see specs here) that has served my purposes well since. I don't do any gaming, though recently I've been streaming a lot more video in multiple windows and am seeing some uneven playback when starting a 2nd or 3rd stream while recording one of them. There are 3 issues I'd like to address with a new card:

* Can't screen record full screen 1920 x 1280 smoothly.
    * Jumpy video streaming video in multiple windows while recording one of them.
    * Scrolling web browsers gets slightly jumpy while streaming video.

From what I can see, it seems the best new graphics card for my budget and motherboard is probably the ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 (see specs here).

I'm not all that tech savvy, but it seems the biggest performance issue may be my motherboard's PCI-E X16 2.1 expansion slot. The ZOTAC should fit in the x16 slot, but I'm wondering how much performance I'll loose from its PCIe 3.0 capability. I'm seeing these PCIe specs on Tom's Hardware that indicate my mb will limit the ZOTAC to a 5 GT/s transfer rate:

PCIe 2.0 - 16 GB/s - 5 GT/s - 5 GHz
    PCIe 3.0 - 32 GB/s - 8 GT/s - 8 GHz

I'll paste the ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 specs below, and you can find my HTPC's specs in my user info in the left sidebar here under 'My Computer'.

Could someone tell me if I might face issues with this ZOTAC card other than a slight reduction of performance speed? I'm guessing it ought to address the 3 issues I list above that my old ATI AMD Radeon HD 5570 (see specs here) is experiencing.

Thanks so very much for any feedback on all this! *Smile

My MSI G41M-P28 MB Specs

ZOTAC GT 1030 Specs
    --------------------------------
    GPU
    GPU Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1030
    Stream Processors: 384 CUDA Cores
    Boost Clock Speed: 1468 MHz
    Base Clock Speed: 1227 MHz
    Interface: PCI Express 3.0 x16
    Supported APIs: DirectX: 12, OpenGL: 4.5, CUDA, Vulkan
    MEMORY
    Memory Speed: 6 Gb/s
    Memory Configuration: 2 GB
    Memory Interface: GDDR5
    Memory Interface Width: 64-Bit
    Memory Bandwidth: 48 GB/s
    DISPLAY SUPPORT
    Display Connectors: 1 x DVI-D SL, 1 x HDMI 2.0b
    Maximum Digital Resolution: 7680 x 4320 @ 60 Hz
    POWER REQUIREMENTS
    Max Power Consumption: 30 W
    PCI Power Connectors: None
    Recommended System Power Requirement: 300 W

ohante, May 5, 2021
  3. ohante Win User

Thank you for confirming the GT 1030 card will work with my G41 MB, and for the gpu.userbenchmark info link bobkn.

I edited my original post to reflect that I'm only seeing the jittery / sluggish video playback when I'm recording a stream with 2 or 3 windows open either streaming or playing a video file. That's the issue I'm primarily wondering if the GT 1030 will address. That and the ability to do 1920 x 1280 fullscreen recordings with this MB's 2.40GHz Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU and 8GB DDR3 RAM that result in video files that play back smoothly.

The only other issue I've seen with the old Radeon 5570 has been problems rendering high bitrate video files over 8000 - 10000 kb/s smoothy on the HDTV screen.

And yes, with data mining causing a run on graphic cards recently, this isn't the best time to be looking for an upgrade. *Eek

ohante, May 5, 2021
  4. bobkn Win User

A little Web searching indicates that a GT 1030 will run in a G41 motherboard.

The GT 1030 goes in a PCI-E X16 slot, but it only runs X4 (4 lanes). Whether the resulting 2GB/s bandwidth (PCI Express - Wikipedia) would bottleneck the card, I don't know. I'd bet that there would be no problem.

The 1030 was a low-end "Pascal" card, but it appears to be much better than a Radeon 5570. UserBenchmark: AMD Radeon HD 5570 vs Nvidia GT 1030

I hope that it's adequate to your needs. It's too bad that most graphics cards are scarce and overpriced at the moment.

bobkn, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Need advice: New ZOTAC GeForce GT 1030 for old MSI G41M-P28 MB? - Similar Threads - Need advice ZOTAC

2. need help with my gt 1030

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    need help with my gt 1030: I found an unknown device in device manager, but it doesn't show the location of it. I managed it to download the nvidia driver and install it with th information of the unknown device. But now it shows code 31. Don't know what wrong. It's my 5 day trying to figure out what's...
  3. Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 issue HELP!

Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 issue HELP!: I have an Hp Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF with intel i5-4590, 16 GB RAM, and a 240W PSU. I also have an Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 in it, but in my PC doesn't recognize it. I do not know what is the problem.Please help!
  4. need help with my gt 1030

need help with my gt 1030: I found an unknown device in device manager, but it doesn't show the location of it. I managed it to download the nvidia driver and install it with th information of the unknown device. But now it shows code 31. Don't know what wrong. It's my 5 day trying to figure out what's...
  5. Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 issue HELP!

Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 issue HELP!: I have an Hp Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF with intel i5-4590, 16 GB RAM, and a 240W PSU. I also have an Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 in it, but in my PC doesn't recognize it. I do not know what is the problem.Please help!
  6. Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 issue

Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 issue: I have an Hp Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF with intel i5-4590, 16 GB RAM, and a 240W PSU. I also have an Nvidia Geforce GT 1030 in it, but in my PC doesn't recognize it. I do not know what is the problem.Please help!
  7. Graphics Card nvidia geforce gt 1030 oc 2g

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics Card nvidia geforce gt 1030 oc 2g: Hi, I recently bought a Graphics Card from nvidia geforce and im asking before hand to see if my pc can handle it or run games and other stuff. I have a windows 10 2004 pro and suggestions before I put it in?...
  8. GeForce GT 630

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    GeForce GT 630: Hi I had help yesterday trying to update my drivers. Now upon a clean install and windows 10 updated to latest updates my graphics card failed to update through the GeForce Experience program. It comes up saying this NVIDIA graphics driver is not compatible with this...
  9. A question about GT 1030

A question about GT 1030: Hey, What if I put a GT 1030 PCI-E 3.0 x16 in an old motherboard with a PCI-E 1.1 x16 slot? Will there be a huge bottleneck? If yes, my other option is a GT 730 PCI-E 2.0 x16. Also, the CPU is a Core 2 Duo E7400 2.80 GHz. 111100
  10. Problem with Geforce-GT 710

Problem with Geforce-GT 710: I buy the Gforce GT 710 and when I installed randomly the video card crash in to a black screen and never turn back. I install the lasted driver. My board is the ASUS P5N-E SLI What can I do for fix that problem?*Sad The BIOS is updated. 54690