Windows 10: Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD

Discus and support Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a HP - OMEN Obelisk- Intel Core i7-9700 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD . My Win 10 operating system and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DonT5, Jan 30, 2020.

1. DonT5 Win User

Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD

I have a HP - OMEN Obelisk- Intel Core i7-9700 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti - 1TB Hard Drive + 256GB SSD . My Win 10 operating system and boot is on the SSD and I only use the HDD for storage of music, videos, pics etc.etc. I backup my HDD on a weekly basis to a thumb-drive and I have been making a full image backup of my SSD on a monthly basis after I install MS updates or MS upgrade to a external 500 GB HDD Seagate expansion. I would like to know if it is OK to keep backing up my SSD to the HDD Seagate expansion like this or should I purchase a SSD expansion to use. I have not encountered any problems so far. I use the "Backup and Restore Win 7 in the Control Panel. Please advise.

Respectfully,

Don

:)

DonT5, Jan 30, 2020

2. Need Advice on Everything!

Take a step back

What is your budget ?
    What are you going to use it for?

TPU members will probly overload you with suggestions

CAPSLOCKSTUCK, Jan 30, 2020
  3. LaytonJnr Win User
    SSD advice

Hello,

The Samsung EVO series would always be my first suggestion for an SSD, so good choice IMO. In terms of upgrading, I would keep the HDD for extra storage in the system, especially for something like video files. One piece of advice I would give is consider and look around for options concerning transferring your data from the HDD to the SSD.

Layton

LaytonJnr, Jan 30, 2020
  4. Word Man Win User

new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

@davnav - if You go the route suggested above of backing up the large drive and restoring to the SSD, make sure you've selected ALL partitions on the source disk for the backup and be aware of the following IF the SSD is smaller than 1 TB:

1) You could shrink your Windows partition of the original disk from within Disk Management so that everything is small enough to fit on the SSD BEFORE making the backup image OR

2) You can resize the Windows partition AS YOU SET UP the restore from Macrium using drag and drop and resizing the partition to fit. Here is a step by step direct from Macrium on doing the resizing I speak of (Kari's tutorial does not cover it), see in particular Steps 5 & 6: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/di...ion+properties

Of course, much simpler if your SSD is 1 TB and you need not bother with what I write here.

Word Man, Jan 30, 2020
Thema:

1. Need Advice On Backing Up My SSD - Similar Threads - Need Advice Backing

2. need advice and help with my tower

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need advice and help with my tower: i have and older tower thats dell windows xp microsoft that im trying to get back up for my 74 year old friend and i needed a little help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-advice-and-help-with-my-tower/5cf17205-db85-4244-bc7a-90637708c87b
  3. need advice and help with my tower

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    need advice and help with my tower: i have and older tower thats dell windows xp microsoft that im trying to get back up for my 74 year old friend and i needed a little help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-advice-and-help-with-my-tower/5cf17205-db85-4244-bc7a-90637708c87b
  4. Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice: Dell cannot tell if the motherboard or the SSD is defective, so they are going to replace both under warranty. I have until now never had a two-drive computer, so I need advice on what to backup before the remove/replace is done. The replacement mother board will have Windows...
  5. Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Motherboard and SSD Replacement: Need Backup Advice: Dell cannot tell if the motherboard or the SSD is defective, so they are going to replace both under warranty. I have until now never had a two-drive computer, so I need advice on what to backup before the remove/replace is done. The replacement mother board will have Windows...
  6. advice on backing up data to an external source please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    advice on backing up data to an external source please: Sorry but this is a very simple question. I have put in a memory stick into the USB port and it yells me that there are previous files on the stick but on the screen it says drive E is disconnected and all I want to do is to back up my present data, can anyone please tell me...
  7. Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some advice on a New SSD Installation...: I just installed a new SSD (Samsung 970 EVO+ NVMe M.2 1TB). The install went well, but I left some files behind on the old drive (An OCZ Trion 120gb SSD). Anyway, I though there would be a problem if I plugged the old drive back in and booted up into windows without hitting...
  8. Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique

Advice / Recommendation for System Drive Back Up Technique: Hi. Had a huge scare this morning, after a recent update had to be reverted. Thought I'd lost my system drive. I tried to recover using a USB windows WRE? I made back in April, but anywhere I went on it came up with errors, including full reinstall. I then tried an older...
  9. new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    new pc 1tb hdd to ssd clone advice needed: Ive just bought a brand new lenovo pc which has windows 10 home 64bit and has a 1tb hard drive fitted, im looking for advice on the following. Ive fitted the ssd into the pc but its not shown up so need step by step guide on how to make it active ? Next I need help on...
  10. Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap

Need some advice on an mSATA SSD swap: Ladies & Gents: I'm getting ready to decommission a desktop to give to my sister's family. Right now, it's got a Samsung EVO 850 500 GB mSATA installed as the boot/system drive. I want to swap that unit out for a spare Samsung EVO 850 250 GB mSATA, so I can put the 500 GB...