Windows 10: need an app to open windows defender

Discus and support need an app to open windows defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Windows Defender and any settings related to it keeps prompting me "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender" It's really annoying me, and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Lethal_, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Lethal_ Win User

need an app to open windows defender

Windows Defender and any settings related to it keeps prompting me "You'll need a new app to open this windowsdefender"

It's really annoying me, and I'm not sure what the issue is. But I can't turn it ON/OFF without this message popping up in my face, and I don't know any work aorunds for it.

:)

Lethal_, Dec 20, 2018
  2. Arul_D Win User

Installing Apps on Windows 10 Has Windows Defender Finding Malware

Hi Tommy,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

• Is this issue specific to third party apps?
    I would suggest you to open Windows defender and add exclusions and check if it helps. Follow the steps to add exclusions in windows Defender.

• Type Windows defender settings in the search bar and press enter

• Under Exclusions click on Add Exclusion
    Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Arul_D, Dec 20, 2018
  3. Brink Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. need an app to open windows defender :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, Dec 20, 2018
  4. John Sarc Win User

Windows Defender Blocking Installations of Downloaded Apps

Hi Craig,

There's a possibility that the SmartScreen option is on that's why you're unable to install downloaded apps. Let's try to turn it off and see if it helps. See the steps below:

• Open Windows Defender Security Center from your Start menu, desktop, or taskbar.
    • Click on the App and browser control button on the left side of the window.
    • Click on Off in the Check apps and files section.

Let us know if the suggestion helps you out.

John Sarc, Dec 20, 2018
Thema:

1. need an app to open windows defender - Similar Threads - need app open

2. Windows Defender Needs App to Open

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Needs App to Open: Hello support, I would like to ask for assistance. Why can't I open my windows defender? Whenever I click windows defender, a pop-up just shows that I need a link due to this my laptop might have been crashing lately. The cause might be what I have been asking. Here is a...
  3. Defender needs an app to run.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defender needs an app to run.: I have an elderly neighbour with a 2 week old Lenovo laptop. Worked fine with Windows 10 S mode. She accepted the update to Windows 11 S mode and now the Defender updates fail and I can't access the security settings as it says Defender needs an app to run. There are numerous...
  4. Defender needs an app to run.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Defender needs an app to run.: I have an elderly neighbour with a 2 week old Lenovo laptop. Worked fine with Windows 10 S mode. She accepted the update to Windows 11 S mode and now the Defender updates fail and I can't access the security settings as it says Defender needs an app to run. There are numerous...
  5. you will need a new app to open windows defender link

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you will need a new app to open windows defender link: hello i have recently upgraded to windows 11 thanks to this website and forums.since i had upgrade i get this message from windows security that i have threats found and actions are needed.whenever i click on it, i get that "you will need a new app to open windows defender...
  6. you will need a new app to open windows defender link

you will need a new app to open windows defender link: hello i have recently upgraded to windows 11 thanks to this website and forums.since i had upgrade i get this message from windows security that i have threats found and actions are needed.whenever i click on it, i get that "you will need a new app to open windows defender...
  7. you will need a new app to open this windows defender link . Windows defender

in Windows 10 Gaming
    you will need a new app to open this windows defender link . Windows defender: when i try to open windows defender it says you will need a new app to open this windows defender linkwhat should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-will-need-a-new-app-to-open-this-windows/0fa9396c-6e42-4479-9aab-a88f7f9236f8
  8. you will need a new app to open this windows defender link . Windows defender

you will need a new app to open this windows defender link . Windows defender: when i try to open windows defender it says you will need a new app to open this windows defender linkwhat should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/you-will-need-a-new-app-to-open-this-windows/0fa9396c-6e42-4479-9aab-a88f7f9236f8
  9. you'll need a new app to open windows defender link

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    you'll need a new app to open windows defender link: why does it say you'll need a new app to open windows defender link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/youll-need-a-new-app-to-open-windows-defender-link/d5749d30-3bef-475f-bbe1-ecd4ccad7d52
  10. you will need a new app to open windows defender

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    you will need a new app to open windows defender: version 1903 windows 10 home other laptop with windows 10 pro works ok after much headaches managed to upgrade to 1903 but now the above message is the fix not in upgrade? whats going on so is 1903 is brand new junk upgrade?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows defender app

2. youll need an app to open windows defender

3. youll need a new app windows defender

4. need new app to open windows defender,
  5. you need an app to open windows defender,
  6. youll need a new app to open this windowsdefender,
  7. youll need a new app to open this windows defender,
  8. need app to open windows defender,
  9. you need new app to open windows defender,
  10. need an app to open windows defender,
  11. youll need a new app to open windows defender,