Windows 10: Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10?

Discus and support Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Reports are coming in that search is not working properly on many Windows 10 devices; the issue is different from the recent File Explorer search issue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 5, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10?

Reports are coming in that search is not working properly on many Windows 10 devices; the issue is different from the recent File Explorer search issue that users experienced and are still experiencing to a degree.

Basically, what is happening currently is that the search interface is entirely black and that searches don't work at all on affected systems. The problem, it appears, is not caused by users or administrators, but by Microsoft.

Microsoft made the decision to interweave Cortana, the digital assistant, and search when it released the operating system. While Cortana and Search have been untangled, Microsoft decided to integrate and improve web search functionality in recent versions.

Search in Windows 10 returns offline and online content by default. Local search works pretty much like it did back in Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, online search displays suggestions for the most part.

Microsoft may change search functionality remotely on Windows 10 machines, e.g. to adjust settings or other parameters without having to release a Windows update that does that. That's useful in theory, but not so much if remote issues cause search to stop working at all.

One would think that local search would continue to work if Windows 10 could not connect to remote servers or if some other form of remote connection does not work as expected; this is apparently not the case.

Affected users may want to use third-party search applications such as Everything or one of these desktop search programs to restore search functionality.

Windows Latest suggests that disabling Web Search on affected Windows 10 systems and rebooting the system restores search functionality as well on affected devices.

Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10? windows-10-web-search.png

Here is how you do that:

1. Use Windows-R to display the run box.
    2. Type regedit.exe and hit the Enter-key to start the Registry Editor.
    3. Confirm the UAC prompt.
    4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    5. Locate BingSearchEnabled.
      1. If the value does not exist, right-click on Search in the tree hierarchy of the left sidebar and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value. Name it BingSearchEnabled.
    6. Change the data value of BingSearchEnabled to 0.
    7. Locate CortanaConsent.
    8. Double-click on the value and set it to 0.
    9. Restart the PC.

The change worked on one test PC that was affected by the issue.

The issue is not the first search issue of Windows 10. Microsoft broke search in 2017 in the operating system and Windows 10 version 1903 had several search bugs as well.

Check out our guide on making Windows 10 search faster and more useful.

Now You: do you use Windows 10's web search functionality?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10? appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 5, 2020

2. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10? a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Feb 5, 2020
  3. "Search the web and Windows" is disabled with the current configuration on my laptop

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am sorry to know that you are facing issues with Windows 10.

I do appreciate your efforts and time, and will assist you with the issue.

To enable the "Search the web and Windows." Please follow the steps provided below:

• Right click on task bar

• Click on search or Cortana

• Select “Show search box” from the options.

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Polarman Win User

Looking for a particular web site ?

I remember seeing this here but i can't find it using the search thingy.

A guy posted a web site that had a comprensive list of all Windows update 32&64. I used to have it in my favorites before i formatted my HD.

Does someone know it?

They suggested a sticky for it but they never did.

Polarman, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Need another reason that current web search integration is bad in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Need another reason

2. Shell-integrated web image search no longer works from Windows 8.1?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shell-integrated web image search no longer works from Windows 8.1?: I'm aware of the support status of Windows 8.1 but it bugs me that the "web images" search from the Start screen no longer works. That was the best feature of this release. I like not needing a browser....Steps:- Press Start key on keyboard Windows 8.1 Version 6.3.9600- Click...
  3. Shell-integrated web image search no longer works from Windows 8.1?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shell-integrated web image search no longer works from Windows 8.1?: I'm aware of the support status of Windows 8.1 but it bugs me that the "web images" search from the Start screen no longer works. That was the best feature of this release. I like not needing a browser....Steps:- Press Start key on keyboard Windows 8.1 Version 6.3.9600- Click...
  4. Integrated web camera and Win 10 recommendation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Integrated web camera and Win 10 recommendation: I have been trying to access my integrated web cam on my state of the art Toshiba satellite for weeks joke and from 2009 and came to the conclusion that it will be just as good to throw the laptop out of my truck in Houston, Texas traffic and be done with it. Although running...
  5. Windows 10 Web Search 21h1

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Web Search 21h1: Hi, I am wondering if someone can figure out how to disable web results in windows 10 search. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-web-search-21h1/30df042b-54bd-477e-87cd-4cb6be4f18d2
  6. Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows sign in screen now integrated with another user's sign in screen. My bad for...: My husband has an all-in-one desktop Lenovo. For several days he had been having trouble with print production. I suggested that perhaps I could help him out with performing a reset to an earlier date. I've done this before on my Lenovo laptop and on his desktop with great...
  7. Integrated web cam issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Integrated web cam issue: Hello, I am not able to use camera from my laptop. When I starts the settings -> Camera, it just pop-up camera window but nothing happens. Please find attached dxdiag notepad text. Lenovo Ideapad. +++ WER9 +++: Fault bucket 1677360850686417433, type 5 Event Name:...
  8. where is my bad web results of address search??

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    where is my bad web results of address search??: just like this you can tell the Chinese days ago I can search with my address search to web but now is no, why?and how can I get this again?? web edge...
  9. no search the web?

in Cortana
    no search the web?: cortana sometimes searches the web when you don't want her to, while apple's siri can let you say "search the web for <subject>" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-search-the-web/efb003a7-5a55-4bda-8968-1e8518fb1b05"
  10. Search the web and windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Search the web and windows: Since yesterday i had popular news(bing) when i enter search but now that is gone and when i enter search it looks like this: [img] Any idea how to get back news on that search screen? P.S i didn't disable any related settings... 41684