Windows 10: Need assistance running DOS program on Win10

Discus and support Need assistance running DOS program on Win10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Good morning, I have an old DOS test scoring program that I need to run on my Win10 (64bit) computer. Obviously, it doesn't work. I will also need it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/newtotax, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Need assistance running DOS program on Win10

Good morning,

I have an old DOS test scoring program that I need to run on my Win10 (64bit) computer. Obviously, it doesn't work. I will also need it to print the test results.

Is there an easy way to run DOS on Win10? Obviously, when I try and run it, I am unable to.

I normally run the program on Windows XP and print from a printer connected via serial port). That set up is no longer easily accessible so I'm trying to run it on my current set up (Windows 10 with USB or wireless printer).

I am trying to figure out if I am in over my head with this - I read a few things online but before I go tinkering and really mess things up, I figured I would ask reddit since you are all significantly more knowledgeable than me about this stuff.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I see a few different programs out there to run DOS but I"m not sure which will be best. I would prefer the least invasive option since this is a work program I'm running on my personal computer.

Additionally, I would need to print. At one point, I was able to print to a USB printer by doing something with the LPT port but that was 8 years ago and it was a hassle to keep switching back and forth so we were finally able to find a printer with a serial port. Now that I don't have access to that option, once I get the program up and running, I will also need to find a way to print.

If anyone could get me pointed in the right direction, that would be great. There's a steep learning curve and my area of knowledge is with kids and assessments, not computers!

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/newtotax
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/newtotax, Mar 17, 2021
  2. Joe9090 Win User

Running Programs for a standard user

Hello

You mentioned checking the the box 'Run as Administrator'

This is the opposite of what I require ,I wanted to avoid running programs as admin . By unchecking 'Run As Administrator' I am still getting an admin credential verification prompt

Any further suggestions ?

Joe9090, Mar 17, 2021
  3. Neilg Win User
    how do i reset the start menu in windows 10 to not show tiles?

A few days ago, my friends Win10 computer stopped showing his desktop and now only shows the tiles (he wants to see the default list of programs, not any tiles).

Clicking on the Windows key or "start menu" doesn't change anything. I stepped him through some online suggestions (including Settings/Start/Use-start-full-screen and making sure Settings/Table-mode was not engaged) but they don't work.

I've also compared his settings (Start/Use-start-full... and Table-mode) to my Win10 machine and they are the same.

Assistance/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Neilg, Mar 17, 2021
  4. Need assistance running DOS program on Win10

Cannot insta;; or uninstall programs it keeps saying a program already being installed!

Hi Brandi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you with the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• Which program are you trying to uninstall?

• What is the exact issue with Office XP Student?
    The issue you are facing could be due to the program is running on desktop background. Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and heck if it help in resolving the issue. Follow the below steps:

Step 1.

I suggest you to go to the task manager and check if the program is running on Windows back ground. Follow the below steps:

• Press CTRL+Shift+ESC to open Task manager.
    • Locate for the program which you are trying to uninstall.
    • Right click on it and click on End task.
    • Try uninstalling the program.
    If the issue still persist try the below steps.

Step 2.

I would recommend you to restart the computer and as soon as the computer boot up try uninstalling the programs.

If the above steps did not fix the issue try the below steps provided.

Step 3.

I suggest you to unregister and register the Windows installer and check if it helps. Follow the below steps:

• Click Start, click Run, type
      MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs.

• Click Start, click Run, type
      MSIEXEC /REGSERVER, and then click OK. Even if you do this correctly, it may look like nothing occurs, or you may briefly see an hourglass. After you run this command, the operation is complete.
    Hope this helps. Post us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Mar 17, 2021
Thema:

Need assistance running DOS program on Win10

1. Need assistance running DOS program on Win10 - Similar Threads - Need assistance running

2. My DOS program no longer will run.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My DOS program no longer will run.: My Dos program no longer run. On November 14, 2023 Microsoft changed "windows.system.launcher.dll". I need windows\system32\.\launcher.ini or its equivalent. How do I fix the problem?...
  3. My DOS program no longer will run.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My DOS program no longer will run.: My Dos program no longer run. On November 14, 2023 Microsoft changed "windows.system.launcher.dll". I need windows\system32\.\launcher.ini or its equivalent. How do I fix the problem?...
  4. My DOS program no longer will run.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. "This Program Cannot be Run in DOS Mode" NOT a Windows exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "This Program Cannot be Run in DOS Mode" NOT a Windows exe: I'm trying to run Rise of the Robots and many other DOS games using DOSBox for the first time in a long time, but it keeps telling me "This Program Cannot be Run in DOS Mode" why?! What's pissing me off is that I was able to run them before but now for some reason I...
  6. "This Program Cannot be Run in DOS Mode" NOT a Windows exe

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "This Program Cannot be Run in DOS Mode" NOT a Windows exe: I'm trying to run Rise of the Robots and many other DOS games using DOSBox for the first time in a long time, but it keeps telling me "This Program Cannot be Run in DOS Mode" why?! What's pissing me off is that I was able to run them before but now for some reason I...
  7. Need a DOS script to run on login that runs four services, consecutively.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need a DOS script to run on login that runs four services, consecutively.: We are having a problem with a piece of software that loads four non-Microsoft services on a Windows 10 workstation. That these services need to load in a specific order. Some services won't load if a certain service hasn't loaded first.Is there an easy way to prioritize...
  8. Need a DOS script to run on login that runs four services, consecutively.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need a DOS script to run on login that runs four services, consecutively.: We are having a problem with a piece of software that loads four non-Microsoft services on a Windows 10 workstation. That these services need to load in a specific order. Some services won't load if a certain service hasn't loaded first.Is there an easy way to prioritize...
  9. running DOS as ADMIN

in Windows 10 Support
    running DOS as ADMIN: I would like to run a command (schtasks) that requires ADMIN privileges. I added schtasks to a bat file (along with my other DOS commands that do not require ADMIN priviliges), right-clicked its shortcut and chose the RUN AS ADMIN option. A DOS screen appeared for a...
  10. DOS files in Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DOS files in Win10: I recently found a post by John Shadow regarding selective backing up via a dos file he had written. I would like to apply this to my win10 but as a newbie, I do not know how to implement it. I have written it out as suggested in notepad but do not know how to get it to...