Windows 10: Need AV Advice please?

Discus and support Need AV Advice please? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello *Smile I am new to MS Windows, came from Linux and MacOS background. What is a FREE Anti-Virus program I can run on Windows 10 that is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Yeremyah, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Yeremyah Win User

Need AV Advice please?

Hello *Smile

I am new to MS Windows, came from Linux and MacOS background.

What is a FREE Anti-Virus program I can run on Windows 10 that is popular and reliable and credible?

Thank you *Smile

:)

Yeremyah, Oct 10, 2015

2. advices needed

I use the Nokia Lumia 620, I was made to understand that the windows 10 won't download for my device, so I m thinking to use the windows insider like that at least until I am able to get a new phone. While I was try to do the download with the insider,
    warnings were made. So I am asking those who had downloaded the insider before, did such warnings happen to your devices and if it is safe to go ahead to install

IzukaIgbosuah, Oct 10, 2015
  3. liquidcat Win User
    Need advice

Does 5800 phones have a working email app? Nokia's email application does not work properly, the data connection never goes off and it drains power. The other ones I have tried are just too lame (mobidocuments etc.).

liquidcat, Oct 10, 2015
  4. Need AV Advice please?

DustSailor, Oct 10, 2015
  5. Yeremyah Win User
    Thank you Dusty *Smile

Yeremyah, Oct 10, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    Windows Defender is pretty good nowadays, if you don't do many risky things it may be quite enough, give it a whirl. In addition to WD, you may use Malwarebytes free or payed version.

CountMike, Oct 10, 2015
  7. Yeremyah Win User
    Sounds like a good plan, WD and Malwarebytes free. If I just use those 2 things my PC should be clean?

Yeremyah, Oct 10, 2015
  8. CountMike New Member

Need AV Advice please?

WD is general AV tool, same thing you should expect from any other AV, handling viruses mostly. Malwarebytes free, on the other hand is mostly for cleaning up PuPs (Potentially unwanted Programs) that may sneak in with other programs during their installation.
    Most important things about windows security is to download only from secure places like Majorgeeks and not fall for additional features offered by some downloads.
    You may want to use some add blocking add-ons if you are using any internet browser other than Edge ( doesn't have support for add-ons but will soon). Most new versions of browsers also inhibit use of Java and Flash content because of their inherent insecurity.

CountMike, Oct 10, 2015
  9. Yeremyah Win User
    What about filehippo?

Yeremyah, Oct 10, 2015
  10. CountMike New Member
    I guess that it's still OK. but avoid downloading any SW from any place that requires you to use their own downloader program because usually with main SW comes something else that you did not bargain for. Cnet for instance is famous for that. Unlike Linux when most of SW comes from repositories and sideloading is not common, Windows SW is all over the place and could be loaded with unwanted content.

CountMike, Oct 10, 2015
  11. Need AV Advice please?

Agree with you 100% ! *Thumbs

Cluster Head, Oct 10, 2015
  12. MBAM Free does NOT provide real-time protection.
    It is only a manual, on-demand scanner.
    It can only detect/remove malware that has made it on to the system, past your AV.
    If you want realtime protection to help PREVENT infection with zero-hour and zero-day threats often missed by the AV, then you will need the paid, Premium version. (The same is true for the few, other, robust anti-malware applications: they are paid.)

As far as "free" AVs, you may find this post interesting/helpful: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru.../#entry3833274

Most of the "free" AVs now come with bundled toolbars, marketing ads for their own paid products, weak support, limited features, or other drawbacks. Personally, I think that the nominal cost of robust, paid security applications is worth the investment. The cost works out to a fraction of a penny per day per computer. And it is much less expensive than the lost time, productivity and effort to rebuild or recover from a serious malware episode, data breach or other catastrophe.

Having said all that, no one security application or combination thereof can provide 100% protection all of the time.
    Many/most computer infections start with the computer component between the chair and the keyboard.
    Safe computing practices are the first and last line of defense.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Oct 10, 2015
  13. ram1220 Win User
    Give Panda Free a look. It's a top rated antivirus and does not come with toolbars and other junk. I am using it along with Malwarebytes Free and love it. Just note that the free version of Bitdefender does not work properly with Windows 10 at this time.

ram1220, Oct 10, 2015
Thema:

Need AV Advice please?

1. Need AV Advice please? - Similar Threads - Need Advice please

2. Please need some advice to my setup

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Please need some advice to my setup: I got my 2nd monitor today and I connect it via HDMI cable. Restart the PC and everything went well however it is registered as the main one with no difference. When I open application it will open on the 2nd one as well. I dont know proper settings on it....
  3. Please need some advice to my setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Please need some advice to my setup: I got my 2nd monitor today and I connect it via HDMI cable. Restart the PC and everything went well however it is registered as the main one with no difference. When I open application it will open on the 2nd one as well. I dont know proper settings on it....
  4. Please need some advice to my setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Need some help and advice, please and thanks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some help and advice, please and thanks: submitted by /u/gowashyourmilk [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kyrrxd/need_some_help_and_advice_please_and_thanks/
  6. Need networking advice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need networking advice: I am trying to transfer files from my laptop (Windows 10 x64, ver 1909) to my desktop (Win 10 x64 ver 20H2. I have a lot of options, but can't seem to get any to work: 1) Google Drive--I appear to have two Google Drives, one talking to my phone and laptop, the other to my...
  7. Partition advice please

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition advice please: Hi Sometime next week I'm getting a new computer it has a 1TB HDD + 480GB SSD I assume the SSD will be the one with Windows installed So my question is how big does a windows partition need to be to future proof for updates and such 170805
  8. I need some advice please

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    I need some advice please: I'm shopping for a new laptop and I wonder if it's a good to pay extra the nvidia rtx 2070 instead of nvidia gtx 1650 ti? Thank you I would appreciate you opinion win 19042. 630 170618
  9. help please, need advice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    help please, need advice: Hi guys, my dad is wanting to find some software to help write short storys on youtube. He has seen people videos where the books scrolls itself down the page like a virtual book, some have imagines like a word pad in the background, we have looked all over for some simple...
  10. AV needed?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    AV needed?: Do I need to install a antivirus program or a anti-spyware program in windows 10 2496