Windows 10: Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do

Discus and support Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I am struggling to get a clear picture of what a System Restorte point can help me with. From various sources MS and non MS I understand that it allows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by perthGooner, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do

I am struggling to get a clear picture of what a System Restorte point can help me with. From various sources MS and non MS I understand that it allows recovery back to a previous point in time HOWEVER it is unclear as to what gets wound back I know that system settings get wound back and that personal files dont I'm assuming these are files in Documents/Pictures etc but some sources say System Apps are wound back and othere say Apps. My question is if I create a Restore Point and then install a 3rd party app will I be able to recover from an install faiure with the system allowing me to

:)

perthGooner, Dec 7, 2021
  2. jellyroll Win User

How to delete inactive System Image Restore Points in System Restore

Windows 10 64-bit.
    When I click "show more restore points" in System Restore I see a bunch of old "system image restore points" that were deleted in past and do not correspond to any currently active restore points. Clicking any of these old restore points, I simply get an error message saying they could not be found, and to select another restore point instead.I would like to delete these restore points listings but have been unable to do so.
    So far, I have tried steps mentioned below without any luck :

Disk Cleanup through (CNeed clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do :) Properties
    Disable System Protection (OFF and ON) in System Protection for OS (CNeed clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do :)
    Disk Space Usage to minimum (slider button all the way to the left then 'Delete all restore points for this drive'),
    Delete all shown Restore points in CCleaner (the problem ones do not show here),
    Reset Windows Backup to Default in Windows 10 with 'Reset_Windows_Backup.bat' utility.

Any suggestions highly welcome.

jellyroll, Dec 7, 2021
  3. Failure to restore system using a system restore point

Hi Alpe,

There are several ways to perform a system restore, such as through Control Panel, using a recovery drive, or using an installation media. For us to add clarification, we would like to know the following:

• Why do you need to perform a system restore? Have you encountered any system failures?
    • Have you encountered any error messages when performing a system restore?

In the meantime, you can use this article as your reference in performing a system restore:

Recovery options in Windows 10
    . Click each drop down to view the steps.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Janeane Cru, Dec 7, 2021
  4. graye Win User

Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do

System Restore is on But No Restore Points

I disagree...

• No, System Restore is not off by default (at least not on my systems)
    • No, it is not basically defunct (it works just like it always has)

Yes, an Automatic Update (or even a normal software package install) will attempt to create another restore point. And, yes.... if you run out of room that has been set aside for System Restore, it will start deleting old restore points. So if that's
    the case, the solution is kinda self-evident... just increase the percentage of the disk space that the system restore is allowed to use.

Yes, it's true that during an Upgrade of Windows 10 (say, from the "Fall Creators Update" to the "Spring 2018 Update") the system will do you a favor and wipe the older restore points (because their content is not valid anymore)

graye, Dec 7, 2021
Thema:

Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do

1. Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do - Similar Threads - Need clarification System

2. Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do: I am struggling to get a clear picture of what a System Restorte point can help me with. From various sources MS and non MS I understand that it allows recovery back to a previous point in time HOWEVER it is unclear as to what gets wound back I know that system settings get...
  3. Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need clarification on what System Restore points allow me to do: I am struggling to get a clear picture of what a System Restorte point can help me with. From various sources MS and non MS I understand that it allows recovery back to a previous point in time HOWEVER it is unclear as to what gets wound back I know that system settings get...
  4. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  5. System restore restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System restore restore point: Hello,There is something wrong with my computer so I wanted to run system restore but all I see is one restore point when I go to the menu even when I click choose a different restore point. I am POSITIVE that I made more then one restore point .Can you please help me...
  6. System restore restore point

7. Do I need to turn on System Protection for restore point?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Do I need to turn on System Protection for restore point?: I use clone image to restore windows and would like to know on whether I need to set restore point for system protection or not. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
  8. Need to find current system restore points

Need to find current system restore points: Hello, How do I find my current Windows 10 Home, version 1803, system restore points? When I searched with this question, and several versions of this question, the results only say how to create system restore points. I'd like to know how to FIND existing restore points....
  9. System Restore is on But No Restore Points

System Restore is on But No Restore Points: I've had System Restore on for drive c: for the last 3 days. I want in there today ad there are no restore points/ Is this by default?!? James...
  10. System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Restore will not do a restore to previous created Point: I am running windows 10 PRO (64Bit) Version 1709 installed about October2017 I have a MBR Partition 1 TB HD Everytime I try to use System Restore ( For any type of reason) Most of which is just to see if it works, Does not, and it has not worked since I went from version...