Windows 10: Need correct syntax to use manage-bde command to unlock bitlocker encrypted drive

Discus and support Need correct syntax to use manage-bde command to unlock bitlocker encrypted drive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; My laptop hard drive is encrypted. I am prompted to enter a bitlocker pin at boot up. It gets me to logon screen. I am trying to use manage-bde command... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Khalid Khan Niazi, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Need correct syntax to use manage-bde command to unlock bitlocker encrypted drive

My laptop hard drive is encrypted. I am prompted to enter a bitlocker pin at boot up. It gets me to logon screen. I am trying to use manage-bde command to unlock my drive. What is correct syntax for entering the pin?

I tried manage-bde -unlock c: -password

than I entered my pin but it it did not work.

When I tried manage-bde -status,

I see the Key Protectors as

TPM + Pin

Pin

Numerical Password.

:)

Khalid Khan Niazi, Apr 10, 2020

2. Can't unlock Bitlocker Encrypted Drive

I have a Bitlocker encrypted external HDD without any OS installed in it. I plugged it to pc with usb then i unlocked my drive on Win10 with my password as usual then i was copying the data from my unlocked
    Bitlocker encrypted drive to another non-encrypted drive. Then power cut suddenly. After that i can't access my Bitlocker encrypted drive anymore.

-When i try to unlock that drive from Windows Explorer pop-up says "Encryption on this drive is not compatible with your Windows. Try to unlock it with newer version of Windows." without password and recoverypassword/recoverykey
    input options. But my Win10 is fully updated (1703)

-Tried Win7 popup came without asking any password "Failed to unlock the drive. No protector keys found in this drive."

-I also tried manage-bde -bitlockerdrive -protectors -get the output is "ERROR: No key protectors found". But drive seems like encrypted already.

-I tried repair-bde with 48 digits recovery password for recovering data to another HDD. Recovery done without any errors. Then did "chkdsk
    outputdrive: /f" it says "File system is NTFS. The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt. Reading second NTFS boot sector instead. Unable to determine volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted." The disk shown as RAW and i can't access it.

-After that i also tried thirdparty recovery tools for recovering data on the drive that created after repair-bde (decrypted RAW one). I recovered all my files without any corruption. But all of them shown
    as RAW files and had randomized names without folder structure. Somehow repair-bde can't transfer folder structure. I tried thirdparty recovery tools on unaccessable Bitlocker encrypted drive. It listed all my files with correct file names and folders. So
    folder structure on encrypted drive is not corrupted i think but i can't recover them because they are encrypted and i can't open any file. I need folder structure, my files are too dispersed. What is the solution ? Thanks.

cem.albayrak, Apr 10, 2020
  3. The bitlocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with this version of windows

I will try that. Thank you.

I had utilized the command lines quoted here:

The BitLocker encryption on this drive isn't compatible with your version of Windows. Try opening the drive using a newer version of Windows.

which was:

Were the files encrypted on the affected computer or was it encrypted elsewhere?

Try disabling it through the command line:

Open Start, type: CMD

Right click CMD

Click Run as administrator

Type in at the prompt OR Copy and Paste these one at a time : (Hit enter after each)

Type the following command to unlock your BitLocker drive with 48-digit recovery key:

manage-bde -unlock D: -RecoveryPassword YOUR-BITLOCKER-RECOVERY-KEY-HERE

If you can remember your BitLocker user password, type the following command. After pressing Enter, you’ll be prompted to enter the user password.

manage-bde -unlock D: -Password

Next turn off BitLocker Encryption:

manage-bde -off D:

Richard Braun (richard.braun), Apr 10, 2020
  4. zzzoom Win User

Need correct syntax to use manage-bde command to unlock bitlocker encrypted drive

Macrium Reflect - Issue Unlocking BitLockered Drive From Rescue Media

Got Macrium Refect Free 6.3.1835 running well on Windows 10. Except when booting from Macrium rescue media, I cannot unlock my C: drive.

My setup has a Bitlockered C: drive on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD, and my backup images are on E:, a portable BitLocker To Go USB3 HDD. My system is setup for UEFI/GPT boot.

The BitLocker encryption on C: has the Samsung self encrypting drive (hardware encryption) feature enabled. Test booting from a Windows Recovery Drive allows me to unlock BitLocker for both drives in the restore mode, by entering the keys.

In the Macrium Reflect Free rescue environment, I can open a command prompt and step through the manage-bde command lines to unlock E: (the external USB drive) just fine.

But when I attempt to do so for C:, I always get an error. It appears that the Samsung drive is available to be the restore target, but will be wiped during a restore. That would require re-enabling BitLocker afterwards and generating new keys.

The thing that puzzles me is that manage-bde is a Microsoft program, so I would expect it to work.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

zzzoom, Apr 10, 2020
Thema:

Need correct syntax to use manage-bde command to unlock bitlocker encrypted drive

1. Need correct syntax to use manage-bde command to unlock bitlocker encrypted drive - Similar Threads - Need correct syntax

2. Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker: Help!!! Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/manage-bde-unlock-volume-bitlocker/e4603db3-eb47-42b8-96e6-652cdac4a192
  3. Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker: Help!!! Manage-bde unlock volume bitlocker https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/manage-bde-unlock-volume-bitlocker/e4603db3-eb47-42b8-96e6-652cdac4a192
  4. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  5. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  6. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. "BitLocker" using MS command "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" in command line

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "BitLocker" using MS command "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" in command line: BitLocker: using MS command "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"While "C" is the drive it can be, C, D, E ect...1 "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" I used the above command to find me info, no issues at all... SEE SCREEN SHOT #12 "manage-bde -protectors E: -get" Then I tried to...
  8. "BitLocker" using MS command "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" in command line

"BitLocker" using MS command "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" in command line: BitLocker: using MS command "manage-bde -protectors C: -get"While "C" is the drive it can be, C, D, E ect...1 "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" I used the above command to find me info, no issues at all... SEE SCREEN SHOT #12 "manage-bde -protectors E: -get" Then I tried to...
  9. "BitLocker" using MS command "manage-bde -protectors C: -get" in command line

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  10. unlock drive using bitlocker - encryption key is lost

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unlock drive using bitlocker - encryption key is lost: Hi Sir, i use lock to use Bitlocker. when i use Bitlocker in windows10 but then i install windows 8 and i unloack my dirve this bitloacker give error . it says password is incorrect. and my encryption key is lost. please help. its very urgent...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. manage-bde unlock via file