Windows 10: Need formatting tool for 10 Install

Discus and support Need formatting tool for 10 Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've got a brand new Acer R3-131T for upgrade. Got it from a customer, a Walmart item. At first glance, I thought a mistake was made since I've never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by cfourkays, Aug 8, 2015.

1. cfourkays Win User

Need formatting tool for 10 Install

I've got a brand new Acer R3-131T for upgrade.
    Got it from a customer, a Walmart item.
    At first glance, I thought a mistake was made since I've never seen a PC shipped with a 32GB HDD since before Windows 3.1.
    Anyway, I couldn't do the Upgrade because of lack of space.
    Acer support told me to
    create a Factory Default Backup (Did this to a USB)
    When creating, click "No" to deleting the Recovery Partition.

After creating, use a third party application and format the HD. (This is where I need help. A usb bootable to be able to format the drive}

Use Recovery media and reload
    Install all updates. After updates are done, you will get the option to install the upgrade.

Unless someone has an easier way.
    BTW, looking at less then $200 laptops in BestBuy, found a bunch with the 32GB HDD.

Pete

:)

cfourkays, Aug 8, 2015
  2. 154Neil Win User

Hard Disk Failure - Reinstall Win 10

Thanks for the information, I need a little more help.

I used the media creation tool and then installed it on a USB. I then tried installing Win 10 on the brand new hard drive and the installation was able to see that I previously had Win 10 Home edition installed. I then got instructions
    to remove the USB and restart the PC and then insert the USB but when I did that I get a problem message that no operation system is found.

The hard drive is brand new and I assume that I need to format it (NTFS) before I do the Win 10 installation. I am not really sure how to format the hard drive since it is the only hard drive in the system and I do not have another
    PC where I can install it to format it. I did a search and found a program DBAN which sounds like it will format the hard drive but it also says that it will permanently erase everything. So I wanted to
    make sure that is the right tool to use for formatting ans also that it will not erase the information that Win 10 needs to verify that Win 10 was previously installed.

Thanks for your additional help.

154Neil, Aug 8, 2015
  3. How to restore windows 10 to a formatted HD

You use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to re-install Windows 10. You do NOT need to format the hard drive yourself. That is so 90's. See

here
    for re-instating a clean Windows 10..

Mike Hall... always, Aug 8, 2015
  4. rive0108 Win User

Use command prompt in RE

You can delete the disk partitions, then use format command

Use an sdcard or USB thumbdrive for the space to install win10. Best bet is to download the media and either run it from an ISO or USB thumbdrive

Image your pc, then delete the recovery partition. 10 no longer uses the 4GB + recovery partitions, and will create what it needs if that old windows partition is gone (450mb recovery partition will be created). That old partition just wastes space.

rive0108, Aug 8, 2015
  5. dwig Win User
    Actually, these do not have a "32gb HDD". They have 32gb of solid state storage, usually eMMC, and not a spinning disk hard drive. This is a common configuration in Windows tablets and some ultra light low end notebooks and convertibles that use tablet class configurations. Storage is limited, but they have a longer runtime on battery.

I agree with the previous poster. You should "burn" the ISO to a USB memory stick for use as the install media. Also, as usual you should backup any user files you may want to keep to another USB memory stick just to be safe.

dwig, Aug 9, 2015
  6. letmein Win User
    letmein, Aug 9, 2015
  7. altae Win User
    Or you could use any Linux distribution that runs in "live" mode from a USB stick.

altae, Aug 9, 2015
  8. cfourkays Win User

Thanks for quick reply.

So when I create the factory default backup again, this time uncheck copying the recovery partition.

This creates a bootable restore of the 8.1 with more space.
    I've used 10 since the first build but still haven't upgraded it on my PC's which are dual booted and I have no problem there.

This is a new customer's PC and will a downloadable iso activate?

And thanks for the suggestions. I'll try my unbutu cd.

cfourkays, Aug 9, 2015
  9. letmein Win User
    Be sure to copy down the product key.

letmein, Aug 9, 2015
  10. cfourkays Win User
    That's not easy.
    I'll have to try to find it in the registry

cfourkays, Aug 9, 2015
  11. letmein Win User
    letmein, Aug 9, 2015
  12. Folks who actually purchased Win10 have reported that, like with previous Windows versions, they got a new product key.

The old product key, one associated with an existing Win7/8/8.1 installation can NOT be used to activate Win10. So, copying it down is a waste of time. The only way to activate Win10 using the free Upgrade is to do an in-place upgrade of an existing Win7/8/8.1 installation.

Mark Phelps, Aug 9, 2015
  13. cfourkays Win User

I just remembered that from an earlier build problem. Had to do with the old way of dual booting.

cfourkays, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need formatting tool for 10 Install - Similar Threads - Need formatting tool

2. Is there any In-Built tool in Windows 10 for low level formatting ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any In-Built tool in Windows 10 for low level formatting ?: Is there any In-Built tool in Windows 10 for low level formatting ?If yes, what are they and how to use/ access them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-in-built-tool-in-windows-10-for-low/0174a799-dc71-4948-af3b-33bd8bad96f0
  3. Is there any In-Built tool in Windows 10 for low level formatting ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any In-Built tool in Windows 10 for low level formatting ?: Is there any In-Built tool in Windows 10 for low level formatting ?If yes, what are they and how to use/ access them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-there-any-in-built-tool-in-windows-10-for-low/0174a799-dc71-4948-af3b-33bd8bad96f0
  4. Is there any In-Built tool in Windows 10 for low level formatting ?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Installation tool for 10 fails.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installation tool for 10 fails.: Trying to upgrade windows from 7 to 10. I downloaded the installation toold and created a usb drive. When run it failed with error 0xc19001010x30018. I tried running it on the system and it failed with error 0x800728f0x20000. How do I fix these errors and get the system...
  6. Installation tool for 10 fails.

Installation tool for 10 fails.: Trying to upgrade windows from 7 to 10. I downloaded the installation toold and created a usb drive. When run it failed with error 0xc19001010x30018. I tried running it on the system and it failed with error 0x800728f0x20000. How do I fix these errors and get the system...
  7. Installation tool for 10 fails.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Can I do a complete format of windows 10 using only the Installation tool?

Can I do a complete format of windows 10 using only the Installation tool?: I have an ASUS laptop and it's getting kind of slow and clunky and I would like to completely format my harddrive and reinstall windows 10. I have checked in command prompt and I do not ever have to reactivate my laptop, so that is covered. My only question is if it is...
  9. Fix-it Tool Needed To Install Newer Version Of Paint.net?

Fix-it Tool Needed To Install Newer Version Of Paint.net?: Hello, I just tried to update Paint.net unsuccessfully. [img] After some Googling I found that it didn't completely un-istall the version I had working so I need the Fix-It Tool. Is this true? Unfortunately I can't find it. 55724
  10. Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed

Format HDD -- Win 10 Installed: I just went from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 --- very cool. My hard drive is clogged with a lot of old stuff; I want to reformat the drive. Question: how do I get a recovery / boot format for my new Win 10 installation? Thank you for the suggestions 43847