Windows 10: Need free program to create hierarchies of program types

Discus and support Need free program to create hierarchies of program types in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm looking for a program where I can type the names of program categories - then type the names of programs in some other blocks. Then, I'd like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nisko, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Nisko Win User

Need free program to create hierarchies of program types

I'm looking for a program where I can type the names of program categories - then type the names of programs in some other blocks. Then, I'd like to move the blocks around with my cursor and place the programs under the proper categories. I'd probably be changing categories as I go along so I would be deleting some category blocks and creating new ones. Any ideas? Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Mar 18, 2018

2. Computer Not Detecting My Headset Microphone

I have gotten a new computer recently, and i noticed that when i test my microphone it isn't receiving my voice. It does play audio in my headset but doesn't detect my microphone at all. I have tried using other jacks but it doesn't detect it either. Also
    the jack for the headset has the microphone and the audio combined into one, so i can't plug them into separate jacks. I have tried my other headset that have separated jacks for the audio and the microphone, and plugged them into the designated jacks, but
    it doesn't detect my voice from that headset either.

Fatgineer Program, Mar 18, 2018
  3. 'Open with' file association

Hi,

Sounds like you just don't have a program installed on the computer that works with the file type you are trying to use. Such as for a .PPT file you need a program like PowerPoint or similar, for a .PDF you need Adobe Reader or similar (though Edge can open
    some .PDF files). and so on.

Check Control Panel - Default Programs - "Associate a file type or protocol with a program or protocol"

To see if you need a program to handle certain file types or if you need to install one that will work with

the file type in question.

You can use free site such as these to help determine what file type you need.

FileInfo

FileInfo - The File Extensions Database

File.org

File.org - We help you open your files!

often there are free programs to work with most file types.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob Brown -
    Microsoft MVP
    <- profile - Windows and Devices for IT : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

SpiritX MS MVP, Mar 18, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Could you clarify what you mean by blocks?

Do you mean folders, or some other kind of virtual space like Stardock Fences?

Edwin, Mar 18, 2018
  5. Nisko Win User
    Rectangles with text inside. I think they're called text boxes. I would be the one typing the text.

Nisko, Mar 19, 2018
  6. RickC Win User
    Something like Dia? It's a diagramming tool that lets you create and link text boxes.

(Duplicate post.)

RickC, Mar 19, 2018
  7. Nisko Win User
    Looks good - I downloaded and installed it - will try it tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Nisko, Mar 19, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

You could have found out about Dia earlier, It was one of the 'Seven Best...' in the link I gave on the other thread.

9. Nisko Win User
    Thank you for reminding me to look back at that post.

Nisko, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Need free program to create hierarchies of program types - Similar Threads - Need free program

2. need help creating a batch program

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    need help creating a batch program: Hi, good day.I need help.I want to create a batch command to close all open programs, like everything that is open on my windows.Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-creating-a-batch-program/e3cd2de8-29c5-405e-affb-919f9600e1f0
  3. need help creating a batch program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help creating a batch program: Hi, good day.I need help.I want to create a batch command to close all open programs, like everything that is open on my windows.Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-creating-a-batch-program/e3cd2de8-29c5-405e-affb-919f9600e1f0
  4. need help creating a batch program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Create an Association in the Default Program's Control Program

Create an Association in the Default Program's Control Program: I have repeatedly tried on many occasions to send photos to friends using the Mail and Calendar app but am stopped with a message 'Create an Association in the Default Programs Control Panel' I have really tried to manage this but have never yet been successful. I would...
  6. free anti virus program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    free anti virus program: some time ago i asked about what were some free antivirus programs. and you pointed me to avast, and a few others. i did not jot then down and i did have them in a folder on a thumb drive, but i put that thumb into my netgear modem to use as a place to put these types of...
  7. W10 HD Failure - Need A Free File Recovery Program

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 HD Failure - Need A Free File Recovery Program: Hello, Folks: My Dell Inspiron 5537 Laptop HD has failed. I've run all the applicable systems tests to no avail. I'm looking for a W10 Data Recovery Application (totally free, not just 2gb of download capability before having to purchase) which is Bootable and which I...
  8. free benchmark program?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    free benchmark program?: I am in need of a benchmark program for a test I am planning. I am looking for some hard data on compressing the OS drive. computer that I will be using runs windows 10 home 32 legacy. aspire one d150-1165 Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 Ghz / 533 MHz Mobile Intel 945GSE Express 2 gig...
  9. a dreaded MSDOS type of program

a dreaded MSDOS type of program: Hello all, I'm back from a long hiatus. Since I've been away, I've learned more about computers, but have a bit of a problem. I'm trying to help a family member who has a small business. They are running an old program that installs from a floppy diskette. They don't have...
  10. Want a free program to create and move around text boxes

Want a free program to create and move around text boxes: I'm looking for a program where I can type the names of program categories into dialog boxes - then type the names of programs in some other boxes. Then, I'd like to move the boxes around with my cursor and place the programs under the proper categories. I'd probably be...