Windows 10: Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc

Discus and support Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I can’t access a GPT drive handed to me with important files as my motherboard is legacy, is there a workaround? submitted by /u/Bombzopple [link]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Bombzopple, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc

I can’t access a GPT drive handed to me with important files as my motherboard is legacy, is there a workaround?

submitted by /u/Bombzopple
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Bombzopple, Jan 25, 2020
  2. NavyLCDR Win User

drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

Are you sure your BIOS is legacy? Windows setup will only require a GPT partitioned drive if the Windows installation media is booted into in UEFI mode. What did you use to create your Windows 10 installation media with... I'll bet RUFUS?

NavyLCDR, Jan 25, 2020
  3. Nash04 Win User
    drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart and clean the drive then created a primary partition and it's listed as so but RAW and not NTFS or FAT32? What could be causing this issue. Now Win7 was previously installed onto that drive but should be gone since I perform a CLEAN on it, correct? Thanks

Nash04, Jan 25, 2020
  4. slance310 Win User

Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc

GPT Partition Style

Hi,

Do you want to install Win 10 Pro to Legacy Bios or UEFI Bios settings...

That is where the "GPT" comes in... It is required for UEFI Bios, and "MBR" is required for Legacy Bios...

How the Flash Drive is created can also determine how the installation tries to install... If it is created with a NTFS file system it will most likely try to install for Legacy Bios and look for a MBR Drive...

It is created with a FAT32 file system it will most likely try to install for UEFI Bios and look for a "GPT" drive...

You can not simply have a "GPT" or "MBR" partition... The entire drive must be GPT or MBR created when the drive is first "Initialized" after having every partition on it deleted...

If you can determine if the machine is set for UEFI or Legacy it would be easier to help... One thing to check for... If you have a small FAT32 "EFI" partition, it is UEFI Bios... If you do not, it is Legacy...

slance310, Jan 25, 2020
Thema:

Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc

1. Need help accessing GPT drive on legacy bios pc - Similar Threads - Need help accessing

2. Windows on Legacy GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows on Legacy GPT: Help i switched from mbr legacy to gpt legacy, i accidentally deleted windows boot partition its main partition is intact, it was arch linux dual boot, i cant even boot windows 10 usb install, i can boot arch, how i can enable booting windows...
  3. Windows on Legacy GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows on Legacy GPT: Help i switched from mbr legacy to gpt legacy, i accidentally deleted windows boot partition its main partition is intact, it was arch linux dual boot, i cant even boot windows 10 usb install, i can boot arch, how i can enable booting windows...
  4. Windows on Legacy GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. what will happen to legacy bios if I convert mbr to gpt?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what will happen to legacy bios if I convert mbr to gpt?: Hi, i am Raghav i had a query in my mind that if i converted my mbr partition to gpt partition then what will happen to:1.OS Windows 102.My apps3.My files4.BIOS legacy...
  6. what will happen to legacy bios if I convert mbr to gpt?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what will happen to legacy bios if I convert mbr to gpt?: Hi, i am Raghav i had a query in my mind that if i converted my mbr partition to gpt partition then what will happen to:1.OS Windows 102.My apps3.My files4.BIOS legacy...
  7. trying to access legacy BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    trying to access legacy BIOS: I've got an old Lenovo Thinkpad T430s. Purchased off ebay a while back with Win 10 OS installed. It's using legacy BIOS. I've had Thinkpads for years, including other T430 laptops, and they all use F2 at startup to enter BIOS. This laptop shows the Lenovo Thinkpad screen at...
  8. Cant access BIOS in Legacy mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Cant access BIOS in Legacy mode: So last weekend I was trying to install Tails OS on a usb so I can play around on the dark web. Before when I could get to my bios I mistakenly changed it to legacy mode. Now nothing I seem to try wont let me access the bios. Here are a few thing I've tried so far. -Using...
  9. drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI: I'm basically having a similar issue where I'm trying install a clean W10 onto my previous SSD and Win10 does see the drives and starts loading but stops whiting a few seconds stating that my drive needs to be formatted as GPT but BIOS is legacy and not UEFI. Perform Diskpart...
  10. Accessing Legacy BIOS windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Accessing Legacy BIOS windows 10: Hey guys, First off apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forums. Long story short I recently bought a new Graphics card, hardware install is fine, windows and Radeon settings recognise it's installed however I need to set my PC to use my new GPU as opposed to my...