Windows 10: Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account

Discus and support Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When I install Windows, it asks to log in with a Microsoft account. Standard procedure. It creates a profile folder under C:\Users<local username> I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/romeozor, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account

When I install Windows, it asks to log in with a Microsoft account. Standard procedure. It creates a profile folder under C:\Users<local username>

I assume the local username is from way way back when I first created my Microsoft profile some years ago (probably with Windows 8). It is/was my online nickname. Not the one I’m using for Reddit, but for simplicity’s sake, let’s assume after Windows 10 is installed, I have a C:\Users\romeozor profile folder.

I’d like to somehow update this microsoft account that when it’s creating my local folder during installation, it creates a different one. Mostly for professional reasons. Let’s assume I’m Tom Hanks, and I’d like my local folder to be C:\Users\thanks

How can I achieve this?

I’d like to highlight that I’m not looking for solutions for renaming the profile folder after Windows finished installing, nor creating a new local user after Windows finished installing, transferring my Microsoft account to the new user and deleting the folder created during installation.

I specifically need the Windows installer to crate my local profile folder as c:\Users\thanks

Could anyone recommend a solution? Is there a technical support I could contact?

submitted by /u/romeozor
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/romeozor, Apr 21, 2020

2. User Account Folder Name

Here's a workaround to rename the user account folder:

• Unlink your Microsoft Account from your Windows 10 device which will result for your account to be converted as a Local account.
    • Create a new Local account, name it using your preferred account and folder name then set it as Administrator.
    • Sign in to your Windows 10 device using the newly created local admin account.
    • Link your Microsoft Account to the newly created local admin account.

After doing the steps above, check if this resolves your concern. If so, migrate all your files from the old account to the new user account and delete the previous one.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Gerdimae Sal, Apr 21, 2020
  3. User Account folder name

Only like this you can change it. Isolved problem like this.Works 100% without deleting files

• Create a local account with the user name you wish.
    • Change account type to administrator (can skip if there is other administrator).
    • Remove original Microsoft linked account
    • Link local account to Microsoft account if you wish
    Local account creation is well hidden, here are step through Settings App :

Settings > Accounts > Family & Other users > Other users > Add someone else to this PC > The person I want to add doesn't have an email address > Add a user without Microsoft account

Armspecial, Apr 21, 2020
  4. Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account

User Account folder name

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with changing the folder name under Users folder in Windows 10.

I suggest you to perform the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open the File Explorer and double click on C drive.

2. Open Users folder from the list.

3. Click on the user name folder and then tap on F2 Key.

4. Change the name of the folder and hit on Enter Key.

5. It will ask for Administrator Permission and click on Ok.

6. Folder name will be changed.

Get back to us if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 21, 2020
Thema:

Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account

1. Need help changing the local user folder name tied to my Microsoft account - Similar Threads - Need help changing

2. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account: Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder name. It is clear that it is saved somewhere against my account as its nothing to do with my name, and I would like to update...
  3. How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you change the user folder name tied to my user account: Whenever I sign into a fresh install of a windows machine with my personal account, my user profile is initialised with an undesirable user folder name. It is clear that it is saved somewhere against my account as its nothing to do with my name, and I would like to update...
  4. Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name: I did a full reset on my pc and after it booted I made a user with my desired name. I then went to settings to log in to my Microsoft account I had been using before the reset and it changed my profile folder name C:\Users\my_user to the name I had before I had done the reset...
  5. Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name: I did a full reset on my pc and after it booted I made a user with my desired name. I then went to settings to log in to my Microsoft account I had been using before the reset and it changed my profile folder name C:\Users\my_user to the name I had before I had done the reset...
  6. Microsoft account keeps changing my user folder name

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How do I change the user folder name for my local account?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I change the user folder name for my local account?: Hello all, I recently got a new Windows 10 laptop and set it up with my Microsoft account, before switching to a local account. When I went to view the user account folder for the local account C:\Users, I saw that windows had named the folder using the first 5 characters...
  8. Need help changing user folder name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help changing user folder name: A friend of mine gave me a laptop and made a fun little game for me to figure out the code to enter it and stuff. The name of the user has to do with the code, well I signed in and logged into my Microsoft account, so now the sign-in screen has my name, but in the users...
  9. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...
  10. Need help with changing name of user profile folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with changing name of user profile folder: I would like to change the name of the user profile folder. I have found and tried a few methods including one from Microsoft forums. None of them worked. I kept getting something about my User needing to sign out and back in again that there was a problem, so I would sign...