Windows 10: Need help creating a bootable USB drive

Discus and support Need help creating a bootable USB drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello all, Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to wipe my C drive and start over with the latest edition of Windows 10 from an ISO disc downloaded... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mitch4003, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Mitch4003 Win User

Need help creating a bootable USB drive

Hello all,

Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to wipe my C drive and start over with the latest edition of Windows 10 from an ISO disc downloaded from Microsoft. I want to use another program to wipe the partition rather than use the Windows reset function to do it. It's taken me quite awhile to find a program that is free, portable-able to used on a USB drive, has at least a few wiping methods other than just writing zeroes or ones and will wipe a partition-not just the whole HD. So, I settled on Macrorit's Disk Partition Wiper. It says it can be used on an USB drive, but I tried 2 times to boot from it but only got errors about no boot files which I can understand but I was under the impression that I just needed the files I downloaded from Macrorit. So what additional files would I need to make this program work?

Mitch

:)

Mitch4003, Aug 31, 2016
  2. neilpzz Win User

How to Reinstall Windows 10 Upgrade?

You can download the ISO image to your PC and then use other tools to create a bootable USB flash drive.

I had to use Diskpart to create a bootable USB flash drive, then copy the contents of the ISO to the drive. (it needs to be at least 4GB)How to Create a Bootable USB Drive Without Using Any Software

neilpzz, Aug 31, 2016
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Win 10 doesn't burn ISO

Yep, if you want to burn a DVD/CD, you will need a Drive that can burn DVD's or CD's . . ..

However, depending on the image, if it is bootable you can use Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to create a bootable image from the ISO onto a USB Flash Drive

Help this Helps!

DaveM121, Aug 31, 2016
  4. shimshom Win User

You can just use Diskpart while clean installing Windows so when you start the installation and it gets to the first screen press Ctrl + F10 to start cmd and if you have a SSD issue the commands below and once finished exit Diskpart and cmd then continue to install Windows and also make sure only the drive you're installing to is connected to the motherboard
    Diskpart
    List disk
    Select disk n (where n is the number that was given for your SSD in List disk)
    Clean
    Create partition primary align=1024
    Format fs=ntfs quick
    Active (assuming you want to install an OS)
    Exit

Note: If you want to create a 100MB partition (Or larger) with alignment, the create command is:
    Create partition primary size=XXX align=1024
    The size unit is always MB

shimshom, Aug 31, 2016
  5. Mitch4003 Win User
    Thanks for the reply, although I don't have an SSD, diskpart will still work. Also, are you sure diskpart would do as good of a job as a 3rd party program would?

Mitch4003, Aug 31, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    You are overcomplicating things.

Easiest way to create a bootable usb flash drive is to simply use rufus to burn iso to usb drive. Many web guides.

Backup valuable data, then boot from usb, select custom install, delete all partitions and simply install windows.

The installer sorts out all partitions for you.

cereberus, Aug 31, 2016
  7. I use option two here, diskpart, http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...e-windows.html My bootable thumb drives can be used to do legacy or UEFI installs. Works with Windows 7, 8 and 10. For me, its much easier than messing around with Rufus and having to have two separate install thumb drives. I have legacy and UEFI PC's. I have nothing against Rufus, I'd just rather use diskpart.

alphanumeric, Aug 31, 2016
  8. DavidY Win User

What are you trying to achieve which the normal Windows installer won't do? Is it to securely wipe so there is no trace of former data? I guess your thinking is that with Diskpart etc., someone with the right utility may still be able to restore and access the files?

DavidY, Aug 31, 2016
  9. You can delete a single partition during a clean install. Or all of them, just select custom install and you'll get disk tools that will let you delete, create, and format partitions. I do it all the time, I delete everything except my data partition. Then just install into the unallocated space. Windows will then automatically create all the system partitions it needs.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help creating a bootable USB drive - Similar Threads - Need help creating

2. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  3. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive: My USB is 256GB and I need to image a company computer with a image in .iso format. This iso is 26.7 GB in size.I reformated the USB to exfat .I downloaded the Microsoft Media Creation tool and created a bootable USB using the tool and this seems to have shrunck my USB to...
  4. Issue with Creating USB Bootable drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. creating bootable cd/usb drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    creating bootable cd/usb drive.: How do you create a bootable cd/USB drive in windows 10 or can I? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-bootable-cdusb-drive/9d71be61-a696-496a-9b75-d5cd792e0208
  6. Need help with creating a windows 10 bootable usb drive on linux mint.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need help with creating a windows 10 bootable usb drive on linux mint.: I have a laptop that I recently installed linux mint on and deleted windows 10, I decided i want to have dual boot and reinstall windows 10. But im having a issue with booting from a usb... So, Ive tried so many things like download windows 10 iso and mount it to a fat32...
  7. Create bootable USB

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create bootable USB: Hi community, I'm creating a bootable usb by rufus. It give me 3 options: 1, Create with legacy BIOS or UEFI 2, Create with only UEFI 3, Create with only legacy BIOS Can someone explain to me these 3 options, and your recommendation option ? Thank you, have a good day !...
  8. Microsoft have helped me to create a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows, I need help...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Microsoft have helped me to create a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows, I need help...: My desktop was upgraded by a tech repair guy, he installed an SSD and Windows 10 Professional last year it's the first time I've paid someone to fix it, normally do it myself or my son will fix it, having found one of my drives was faulty. I continued to get the odd blue...
  9. Creating a bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Creating a bootable USB drive: Hi, I was experiencing something unexpected, when trying to create the drive. Maybe you can tell me what went wrong, as I do not understand it. So, I wanted to help a friend reinstall the OS via thumb drive. This should be pretty straightforward. Download the ISO use a...
  10. Issue creating bootable USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue creating bootable USB drive: Hi all, my first post. Thank you for any assistance in advance. I got a new 2nd hand Asus 2 in 1. I managed to finally get a fully functional Ubuntu Linux distro (dual boot) working on it. Unfortunately after getting it finally functional (Cheery Trail processors are not...