Windows 10: need help creating a file/folder listing *.bat file

Discus and support need help creating a file/folder listing *.bat file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; pretty much as the subject states, l had one in the past but l cant remember where l put it and forget how it was written. basically l just want a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by auroken, Jun 23, 2019.

1. auroken Win User

need help creating a file/folder listing *.bat file

pretty much as the subject states, l had one in the past but l cant remember where l put it and forget how it was written.

basically l just want a script that lists files and folders in a specific directory without listing the sub folders within that dir (just a bog standard list of files and folders without any other information).

a bonus would be if l were able to have it on my send to menu and it saved the text file to that folder. basically put l just want to output a list files and folders in specific directory.

any help would be gratefully appreciated.

:)

auroken, Jun 23, 2019
  2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, Jun 23, 2019
  3. oily_17 Win User
    Batch Files Knowledge Base

Don't use batch files very much but one I find useful is for creating a list of files in a directory.
    Just copy the text below into Notepad and save as Filelist.bat

dir /a /-p /o:gen >filelist.txt

When you run it from a folder it will create a Filelist.txt file,in the same folder, that lists all the files in that folder.Useful when you are too lazy to type all the files out yourself.

oily_17, Jun 23, 2019
  4. regan1985 Win User

making file lists

ok i have tried it and i got it to work thanks

but my next problem is it only lists the folders not the files??

regan1985, Jun 23, 2019
Thema:

1. need help creating a file/folder listing *.bat file - Similar Threads - need help creating

2. Need help trying to undo a .bat file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help trying to undo a .bat file: Please help, I accidently installed the "Z590 Mystic Light" fix in the support section of ibuypower.com. The problem is I actually have a mag z390 tomahawk. When I enter windows+r and enter msinfo the baseboard product shows Z590 PRO wifi and now my mystic light software...
  3. Need help trying to undo a .bat file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help trying to undo a .bat file: Please help, I accidently installed the "Z590 Mystic Light" fix in the support section of ibuypower.com. The problem is I actually have a mag z390 tomahawk. When I enter windows+r and enter msinfo the baseboard product shows Z590 PRO wifi and now my mystic light software...
  4. Need help trying to undo a .bat file

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Need to change file to .bat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to change file to .bat: I made a new text document and named it run.bat but it didn't change to a .bat file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-change-file-to-bat/a303183b-1c61-48e0-84d1-be33a6fb2374
  6. Need to change file to .bat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to change file to .bat: I made a new text document and named it run.bat but it didn't change to a .bat file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-change-file-to-bat/a303183b-1c61-48e0-84d1-be33a6fb2374
  7. Create list of files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Create list of files: I have a folder with 1100 files. I would like to create a list of the files in EXCEL to compare them to another list of files. How can I create this file list and put it in EXCEL?...
  8. Help Creating "Drag & Drop" .bat file to Append File Names

in Windows 10 Support
    Help Creating "Drag & Drop" .bat file to Append File Names: I have been attempting to come up with a way to be able to drag and drop a file to append 3 letters to it. The issue is that the extent of my programming knowledge lies in VBA and not much else. While I could probably make it work in VBA, I'd prefer to not require the...
  9. Need some Help with CMD and .bat files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need some Help with CMD and .bat files: I have .bat file thats in a folder in my desktop (location). When i open the bat file i need it to run in the folder that's it's located (in the folder thats on my desktop) However, when i run the bat file it runs at the default location. So isn't there anyway I can change...
  10. Help with a .bat file.

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with a .bat file.: I have this .bat file that I've been messing around with: [img] I got it to open the Windows Update interface: [img] However, I need the .bat file to go a step further and auto click the Check for updates button circled in orange. Can someone help me to finish...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. create file listing.bat