Windows 10: Need help disabling a bad lenovo driver

Discus and support Need help disabling a bad lenovo driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've isolated my laptop's (Lenovo Y 40-70) battery gauge issue to a driver called "Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller," listed under... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by obesechipmunk, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Need help disabling a bad lenovo driver

I've isolated my laptop's (Lenovo Y 40-70) battery gauge issue to a driver called "Lenovo ACPI-Compliant Virtual Power Controller," listed under "System Devices" in the Device Manager. I've tried uninstalling it (and deleting it, when prompted by a dialogue box) but it always come back after a restart. There is no option to disable it, either - it's greyed out when I access driver properties.

I've tried running the "show or hide updates" troubleshooter, as indicated in the following link:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-68c3a305d730

but that didn't work either. The driver simply doesn't show up in the list. I thought I could trigger its presence on the "show or hide updates" troubleshooter if I went to an earlier version of the driver. But I can't do this either - when I go to the driver's properties, the "roll back driver" option is greyed out (just like the "disable" option).

My battery gauge problem has always gone away when I uninstall this driver. Many other Lenovo Y40 users have indicated this driver is the root of their problems and they've gotten rid of it successfully, but not on Windows 10...

Any idea how I can disable this thing?

And yes, I am an "administrator." I can disable other drivers in the device manager list but not this one, for some reason.

:)

obesechipmunk, Jan 12, 2016

2. "System compressed memory" Use 40% CPU all the time

In my case it was a bad driver. I have a Lenovo laptop that has a SD card reader (Ricoh risdxc64.sys) which was using 20% of CPU. I disabled the card reader in device manager and the CPU usage issue was resolved. Unfortunately, neither Lenovo or Ricoh
    have updated drivers.

Soylent Red, Jan 12, 2016
  3. tekkPC Win User
    Computer Cannot Detect any Wifi Networks

So, whether the wifi device is enabled or disabled, it never appears in Settings>Network & Internet". Your issue looks like a bad device driver. But you said you have already reinstalled the driver from Lenovo. Hmmm?

tekkPC, Jan 12, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

Need help disabling a bad lenovo driver

Does it have a service running ?

CountMike, Jan 12, 2016
  5. I don't see the driver or anything similar to the driver running in services. The closest thing I could find was something named "Power," but it doesn't indicate an affiliation with Lenovo anywhere in the description.

obesechipmunk, Jan 13, 2016
  6. docGlenn Win User
    I have the same problem with Thinkpad W550s - cannot remove. I wish I had an answer for us, but thanks for describing the problem clearly.

docGlenn, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Need help disabling a bad lenovo driver

1. Need help disabling a bad lenovo driver - Similar Threads - Need help disabling

2. Driver Issues Need Help badly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Driver Issues Need Help badly: Hi, I’m having a lot of trouble installing my drivers and I’ve tried everything I’ve reinstalled it. I got another motherboard, with Wi-Fi and I’ve installed the drivers from the disk multiple times to no avail and the problem I’m having is that it says they’re installed, but...
  3. Driver Issues Need Help badly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Driver Issues Need Help badly: Hi, I’m having a lot of trouble installing my drivers and I’ve tried everything I’ve reinstalled it. I got another motherboard, with Wi-Fi and I’ve installed the drivers from the disk multiple times to no avail and the problem I’m having is that it says they’re installed, but...
  4. Driver Issues Need Help badly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Help needed badly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help needed badly: My computer stuck and not working for a while. When I tried to boot it up for today it is asking for a bitlocker key. I don't know what is it and where I can get it. Pleae help me I dont want to lose files....
  6. Help needed badly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help needed badly: My computer stuck and not working for a while. When I tried to boot it up for today it is asking for a bitlocker key. I don't know what is it and where I can get it. Pleae help me I dont want to lose files....
  7. Help needed badly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. need help badly :(

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    need help badly :(: literally everything is taking so long to load since i launched windows 2 days ago which is weird considering its always perfect some examples https://i.imgur.com/MMZT47R.png me downloading something online then running it, windows dialog just froze? and i couldn't run it i...
  9. Badly need help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Badly need help: So I just recently upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7. Few months of usage it was fine and good but until recently I cant access apps or settings that needs admin permission. I have searched the net for good measures but Im unlucky enough to find answers. Can someone help...
  10. NEED HELP BADLY!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NEED HELP BADLY!: I built a new PC & I barely got to use it because of the stupid clock watch dog time out error that kept causing it to crash even during resetting it comepletely & then it wouldn't evenpost anymore it was un usable, so after trying every suggested troubleshoot I finnally gave...