Windows 10: NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem

Discus and support NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I am using EXCEL, and having this problem, which I think, tricky but easy to understand: Column A and Column C both contain INPUTS... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by HussainAlqatari, Jun 18, 2020.

1. NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem

Hello everyone,

I am using EXCEL, and having this problem, which I think, tricky but easy to understand:

Column A and Column C both contain INPUTS (all are numbers).

Column B should contain OUTPUTS. (Which is the problem).

The problem in words: Look at Column A, Find the greatest number which is less than or equal to the least number in Column C. Once you find that, return 1 in Column B.

Again, Look at Column A, Find the greatest number which is less than or equal to the second least number in Column C.
    Once you find that, return 1 in Column B.

Again, Look at Column A, Find the greatest number which is less than or equal to the third least number in Column C.

And so on,

Return 0 in Column B for other cells

See the following example:

INPUTS:

NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem qLQSwCz.png

OUTPUTS:

NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem CdVFPZz.png

The 1 beside 5 because 5 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 7, which is the smallest number in Column C)

The 1 beside 11 because 11 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 12, which is the second smallest number in Column C)

The 1 beside 11 because 11 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 19, which is the third smallest number in Column C) (This happened earlier with 12)

The 1 beside 20 because 20 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 20, which is the fourth smallest number in Column C)

The 1 beside 89 because 89 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 100, which is the fifth smallest number in Column C)

-------------------------------

* INPUTS should not be changed or sorted.

* Column A has no duplicate numbers.

* Column C has no duplicate numbers.

* The OUTPUTS are typed manually for illustration.

--------------------------------

I tried to combine the following functions; AND(), IF(), COUNT(), SMALL() ,,, but did not work *Sad

Can one use those function, or others, to solve this problem? I believe, but not sure, it is possible with only these functions.

Sorry for my poor English (I am Arabic). If my way of explaining my problem is not clear, then please ask me to clarify more. If you understood it, but could not solve it, then it would be really appreciated if you re-phrase it, so other members may help me. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

:)

HussainAlqatari, Jun 18, 2020

2. NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem

There is a Microsoft Office Forum at:

Microsoft Office Forums - Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project

There is a section on Excel. I have found that the experts there are very knowledgeable and have helped me solve tricky Excel issues in the past.

retexan599, Jun 18, 2020
  3. BrooksyX Win User
    Help with Excel VBA Problem?

Can someone help me code the following VBA problem:

"Assume you have a mailing list file. This file is currently the active workbook, and the active worksheet of this book has full name in coloumn starting in cell A1, with the last name last and everything in uppercase letters (such as STEPHEN E. LEE). Write a sub that counts the number of names in the list with last name LEE and then displays the count in a MsgBox. Not that there might be last names such as KLEE, which should not be counted."

Thanks!

BrooksyX, Jun 18, 2020
  4. NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem

NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem

Hello everyone,

I am using EXCEL, and having this problem, which I think, tricky but easy to understand:

Column A and Column C both contain INPUTS (all are numbers).

Column B should contain OUTPUTS. (Which is the problem).

The problem in words: Look at Column A, Find the greatest number which is less than or equal to the least number in Column C. Once you find that, return 1 in Column B.

Again, Look at Column A, Find the greatest number which is less than or equal to the second least number in Column C.

Again, Look at Column A, Find the greatest number which is less than or equal to the third least number in Column C.

And so on,

Return 0 in Column B for other cells

See the following example:

INPUTS:

NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem qLQSwCz.png

OUTPUTS:

NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem CdVFPZz.png

The 1 beside 5 because 5 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 7, which is the smallest number in Column C)

The 1 beside 11 because 11 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 12, which is the second smallest number in Column C)

The 1 beside 11 because 11 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 19, which is the third smallest number in Column C) (This happened earlier with 12)

The 1 beside 20 because 20 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 20, which is the fourth smallest number in Column C)

The 1 beside 89 because 89 is the greatest number in Column A (which is less than or equal to 100, which is the fifth smallest number in Column C)

-------------------------------

* INPUTS should not be changed or sorted.

* Column A has no duplicate numbers.

* Column C has no duplicate numbers.

* The OUTPUTS are typed manually for illustration.

I tried to combine the following functions; AND(), IF(), COUNT(), SMALL() ,,, but did not work *Sad

Can one use those function, or others, to solve this problem? I believe, but not sure, it is possible with only these functions.

Sorry for my poor English (I am Arabic). If my way of explaining my problem is not clear, then please ask me to clarify more. If you understood it, but could not solve it, then it would be really appreciated if you re-phrase it, so other members may help me. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

HussainAlqatari, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem

1. NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem - Similar Threads - NEED HELP Excel

2. Need help finding an unsaved excel document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help finding an unsaved excel document: I can't find an unsaved excel document. Looked in C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ and there are no files in the folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-finding-an-unsaved-excel-document/7215eb8b-7d0e-4d65-bb2a-792a48248fdd
  3. Need help finding an unsaved excel document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help finding an unsaved excel document: I can't find an unsaved excel document. Looked in C:\Users\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ and there are no files in the folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-help-finding-an-unsaved-excel-document/7215eb8b-7d0e-4d65-bb2a-792a48248fdd
  4. Need help finding an unsaved excel document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Help needed with Excel Attendance Sheet

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Help needed with Excel Attendance Sheet: So I have this attendance sheet, with this formula for the days of the month, based on this CONFIG sheet, but id like to make the MONTH cell a drop down list, that would change the formula in F16 based on the selected month in the list. [img] ALSO And this seems a bit...
  6. Help needed with Excel Chart

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Help needed with Excel Chart: i can draw Excel Chart in Figure 1, but i want to add red circles to Excel Chart like shown in Fig 2 which i dont know how to do??????? [img] [img] 175569
  7. Tricky one!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Tricky one!: Problem: Hello, this is an easy question. Yesterday i logged in on my windows with my microsoft account and i though that if i log in using microsoft i will get all the services e.g. Cortona, xbox, Office demo ETC. but i didn't get anything. Do i need something?...
  8. NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem

in Windows 10 Support
    NEED HELP!: Excel tricky problem: Hello everyone, I am using EXCEL, and having this problem, which I think, tricky but easy to understand: Column A and Column C both contain INPUTS (all are numbers). Column B should contain OUTPUTS. (Which is the problem). The problem in words: Look at Column A, Find the...
  9. Microsoft excel, word and PowerPoint need help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Microsoft excel, word and PowerPoint need help?: I just bought my first laptop and when I opened my excel or word it asked me to agree to a license agreement do I have to purchase or subscribe to Microsoft word and all other services or is it free and I just need to accept the license agreement and then I could use it for...
  10. Need help in finding the tricky folder with no folder name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Need help in finding the tricky folder with no folder name: I've a folder which have name with 5 characters. I'm not able to find which font or which language it was. If i'm trying to access from power shell, it's showing ????? or 5 boxes. I've screenshots from power shell also. I've tried google translator also by pasting the hidden...