Windows 10: Need help finding a past-entered activation key

Discus and support Need help finding a past-entered activation key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My CS professor handed out windows 10 Pro activation keys for use at home. When I wiped my computer I accidentally installed Windows 10 Pro Education... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NathanGendernalik, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Need help finding a past-entered activation key

My CS professor handed out windows 10 Pro activation keys for use at home. When I wiped my computer I accidentally installed Windows 10 Pro Education rather than it's non-education counterpart. I then found out that the key only works for normal windows 10 pro. I got frustrated and didn't immediately install windows 10 Pro. The issue is that I misplaced my actiavation key, so now I can't activate windows 10 Pro. I haven't uninstalled Windows 10 Pro Education yet, the one I tried the 10 Pro key in. Is it possible to recover the key from my computer? I have already tried some solutions, and they just reported back with either 5 characters of the key or nothing.

:)

NathanGendernalik, Nov 17, 2018
  2. cdawall Win User

oem activation key

If it is a UEFI Bios you shouldn't have to enter the key at all. If it is you will have to enter your key again and run activation. Even if you do swap boards the key will work.

cdawall, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Kreij Win User
    Activation Key Storage Utility

Key-Z : A Secure Activation Key and Password Storage Utility

Key-Z allows you to store activation keys and passwords in a secure (encrypted)
    file. Key-Z also allows you to make cryptographic hashes for strings or files.

Menu Options
    File
    • Open : Opens a saved Key-Z file. After you select the file you will be prompted
      for your username and PIN number.
    • Save : Save the Key-Z file to the last saved location. You will be prompted for a username and PIN number before the file is saved.
    • Save As : Select where you would like to save the Key-Z file. You will be prompted for a username and PIN number before the file is saved.
    • Close : Close the current Key-Z file and clear all data from the application.
    • Print Preview : Preview print output prior to printing.
    • Print : Print keys and passwords directly to the default printer.
    • Exit : Exit the application
    Options
    • Set Backup Folder : Allows you to select a location to back-up the Key-Z file
      in addition to where you normally save it.
    Help
    • Content : Provides a link to this page.
    • About : Application information.
    Keys Tab
    This allows you to enter, modify or delete activation keys.

Need help finding a past-entered activation key Capture022.jpg

Filter Groups Dropdown : This allows you to select which group of keys are
    displayed in the Keys DataGridView.
    Group Dropdown : This allows you to select which group you would like to associate
    with an activation key.
    Application TextBox : The name of the application for which the key is used.
    Keys TextBoxes : This is where you enter the activation key segments. If you
    enter a dash "-", your will be taken to the next TextBox automatically. If you
    paste a dash seperated key (ie. 1234-1234-1234) into the first TextBox the
    program will automatically separate it into segments.
    Comments TextBox : For any comments about the key.
    Commit Button : This will add the key to the keys DataGridView after performing
    some data integrity checks.

Password Tabs
    This allows you to create, enter, modify or delete passwords.

Need help finding a past-entered activation key Capture023.jpg

Filter Groups Dropdown : This allows you to select which group of passwords are
    displayed in the Keys DataGridView.
    Group Dropdown : This allows you to select which group you would like to
    associate with a password.
    Description TextBox : A description saying for what the password is used.
    Alphabetic Character Options:
    Numeric Character Options:
    Special Character Options:
    Length:
    Must Start With:
    Must End With:
    The above drop downs are used to set parameters when generating a password.
    Generate Password Button : Create a random password based upon the password
    option settings.
    Commit : This will add the password to the passwords DataGridView after
    performing some data integrity checks.

Cryptographic Hashes Tab
    This allows you to generate and verify cryptographic hashes created from strings
    of files.

Need help finding a past-entered activation key Capture024.jpg

Hash Type Dropdown : This allows you to select the type of hash you would like to
    generate.
    Filename : This allows you to enter a filename (path) to used to create the
    cryptographic hash. Check the "string" CheckBox if you want the hash generated
    from the text in the TextBox instead of reading the contents of the file.
    Generate Hash Button : This generates the hash from the above input. You can
    cancel the hash generation using the Stop Button. A spinning icon shows that the
    process is running, and when it is complete it will display the hash in the
    TextBox below it and also report the time that it took to hash the input.
    You can copy and paste a hash string in the second TextBox and it will be
    compared to the first to verify the hashes match.

Application Buttons
    Save : This will save the key and password information to an encrypted file. You
    will be prompted for a file location and name, and also for a username and PIN
    number. If you forget your username and/or PIN number there is no way of
    recovering the data in the encrypted file.
    Exit : This will exit the application.

Additional Information
    Adding a group : To add a new group to either keys of passwords simply commit
    either using any available group and edit the group name in the DataGridView.
    When the Key-Z file is opened it automatically adds the needed groups to the
    dropdowns.
    Removing a group : Simply remove any keys or passwords for that group and save
    the file. When it is re-loaded the group will no longer be available. If you
    remove all of the groups, the default set of groups will be re-added when the
    file is loaded.

The DataGridViews will be sorted alphabetically (ascending) by group whenever you open a file,
    save, print preview or print.

This information is obsolete, please get the latest build you can find at the end of the thread

Kreij, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Kreij Win User

Need help finding a past-entered activation key

Activation Key Storage Utility

Yes, but if you are entering activation keys that column is meaningless and would still be there.

Kreij, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Need help finding a past-entered activation key

1. Need help finding a past-entered activation key - Similar Threads - Need help finding

2. need help to get Activation product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    need help to get Activation product key: I am getting frequent warnings on my screen see attached screenshot Windows 10 License is expiring, and a product key is required!I don't possess this key. Please, help....
  3. need help to get Activation product key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need help to get Activation product key: I am getting frequent warnings on my screen see attached screenshot Windows 10 License is expiring, and a product key is required!I don't possess this key. Please, help....
  4. need help to get Activation product key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. i need help with the activation key

i need help with the activation key: i have an old school laptop and dont have the product key and i need to activate windows. i dont know what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-the-activation-key/e6b97c00-33d1-4e89-9761-ff32f9d1cdb8
  6. i need help with the activation key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i need help with the activation key: i have an old school laptop and dont have the product key and i need to activate windows. i dont know what to do. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-need-help-with-the-activation-key/e6b97c00-33d1-4e89-9761-ff32f9d1cdb8
  7. i need help with the activation key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Finding activation key

Finding activation key: I am trying to find the activation key for a preinstalled Windows 10 on my laptop and have tried using Showkey but am getting a warning not to run this app. So how do we find the key now that Showkey is not going to run? 181171
  9. Finding Activation Key?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Finding Activation Key?: Hi Microsoft Forums, As part of the process to upgrade my work computer Microsoft Surface Pro 7, I was asked to do a factory reset. After completing the factory reset my computer is saying that I need to activate Windows with the product key. However, I don't have access to...
  10. I need help with Activation Key.

I need help with Activation Key.: Every time i do a troubleshoot it says "We found a Windows 10 Home Digital license for this device running Windows 10 Pro. To activate using this digital license, You need to install Windows 10 Home." Someone help me out step by step please....