Windows 10: Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers)

Discus and support Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers) in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Okay the original problem with my computer was that after a windows update a month or two ago, all of the brightness sliders on my computer have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by KeenBTF, Jul 5, 2018.

1. KeenBTF Win User

Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers)

Okay the original problem with my computer was that after a windows update a month or two ago, all of the brightness sliders on my computer have disappeared and my brightness is pegged at max. I have to keep night mode on, which as a digital artist makes my job very difficult. The colors are all screwed up with it, so I have to turn it off while I work, thus searing my retinas.

I would like this problem fixed, and as I found no solutions that worked for me online, I contacted Microsoft support. I told her in detail what the problem was via the chat box that I was directed to. She requested access to my computer to help me. I had to download an app to do so, which didn't work, so she used a different one to download it again herself to get it to work. Then she sat waving my cursor around for about 10 minutes, not saying anything to me, and not doing anything.

After a while, she told me she was going to escalate it to level 2 and transferred me. This guy gets on and instantly puts me on guard because he typed with such bad typos I could not understand what he was saying. And then he starts talking about WoW because I have the icon on my desktop. I find this strange and very unprofessional. He finally addresses the issue, which I fear now that the first person did not tell him properly what I was looking for. I want my brightness sliders back, and he apparently was just trying to change the brightness. He went and started changing so many of my settings that I feel have nothing to do with this, and would not let me take control of my mouse to ask him what he was doing. He had zero communication with me, and I could not stop what he was doing, as I would need to click on the chat box to type to him. I couldn't do that because he would snatch the mouse back if I tried.

So he changed a lot of my startup programs, graphics settings, and apparently rolled back my video driver (this is what he said he did, later on the phone), all without telling me or asking me. Then he restarted my computer, again without telling me or asking. Since this ended the chat session, they called me back after a few minutes.

I was upset that they would do something like this, and told him that I didn't appreciate what he was doing, and that when the owner of the computer wants to take control back, you let them. My screen resolution after the restart is now stuck on a horrible "recommended" setting, where everything is grainy and the colors are off. I cannot change it as the drop-down box is grayed out.

So I told him that I would like it to be put back the way it was before, and that I just wanted to know if it was possible to get my brightness sliders back. I explained the actual problem I was having, and his response was a monotone, "Oh wow... that's amazing."

I asked to speak to a manager, and he refused. I asked for his ID, and he refused. I said I would like to talk to someone who can actually help me, he told me to contact Dell.

I hung up at that point.

So tl;dr
    1. How do I put my driver back to the state it was in before he rolled it back? I have tried to update it, but it keeps telling me it's current.
    2. Can I or can I not get the brightness sliders back on my computer?
    3. Now at the top of my windows update settings page, it says "Some settings are managed by your organization" and that was never there before.

How do I undo what this guy did?

Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers) [​IMG]

Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers) [​IMG]

Browsed some old posts, and I want to Edit to add:
    1. Yes the sliders used to be there
    2. My computer is an Alien desktop
    3. Came with win10
    4. Cannot adjust brightness any more with my monitor, as its already at its dimmest.

:)

KeenBTF, Jul 5, 2018

2. Brightness is fixed/unadjustable.

If it was working previously, I'd bet it stopped due to a mirror driver being installed. Mirror drivers are what allow remote meeting software like GoToMeeting, WebEx, and Team Viewer to copy the screen.

Here's the steps I would suggest:

• Right-click the Start button, choose Device Manager
    • Go to the Monitor section (not display adapter) and remove everything inside (right-click and uninstall)
    • Click the "Scan for hardware" on the toolbar (has a magnifying glass icon on it)
    • Try adjusting brightness again
    Please let me know how it goes.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 5, 2018
  3. Brightness can not be adjusted.

Hi Sirajudeen,

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Were you able to see any error message/ error code with this issue?
    • Have you tried to install all the pending updates for drivers and Windows Updates on your device?

This issue might have happened due to corrupted/ outdated drivers.

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft article, try the troubleshooting steps suggested to change the brightness and check if it helps.

Adjust your monitor's brightness and contrast

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of changing the brightness and required information for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 5, 2018
  4. Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers)

Brightness issues

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Brightness settings after upgrading to Windows 10 in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to incompatible or corrupt display drivers or the brightness settings are not correct in the system.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

To check for the brightness settings, please follow the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows + C” keys on the keyboard.

• In the search box, type
      Power Options.

• Click on Power options, and under any plan, click
      Change plan settings.

• Click Change advanced power settings.

• In the list, expand Display, and then expand
      Enable adaptive brightness.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is running on battery power, click
      On battery, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• To turn adaptive brightness on or off when your computer is plugged into an outlet, click
      Plugged in, and then, in the list, click On or
      Off.

• Click Apply. Click
      OK.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2

Method 2:

Step 1:
    Update the Display driver.

Please follow the steps given below to update the display driver.

• Press Windows key + X when you are at desktop.

• Select Device Manager.

• Expand Display adapters.

• Right-click the display driver and click
      Update Driver Software.

• Select Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software.
    Step 2:

Check if there are any updates for display drivers available in Optional Updates; this might fix the issue. Refer to the following steps.

• At the Start screen, type Windows Update.

• Click or tap Settings on the right side of the screen, and then select Install optional updates from the left results.

• When the Windows Update control panel opens, click on “Check for Updates” on the top left corner to receive a fresh list of updates.
    Also see: Download and install drivers

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows-8/all-drivers

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, Jul 5, 2018
Thema:

Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers)

1. Need Help Fixing MS Tech's Dabbling (Brightness and Drivers) - Similar Threads - Need Help Fixing

2. Desperate need for tech help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desperate need for tech help: Hi thank you I have used msword for awhile now, and recently renewed my subscription $99. However, my yahoo acct that I use to sign in for my windows, word, ms acct has been hacked. Not only that, but they changed the recovery email, and phone. i dont think they got into any...
  3. Desperate need for tech help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desperate need for tech help: Hi thank you I have used msword for awhile now, and recently renewed my subscription $99. However, my yahoo acct that I use to sign in for my windows, word, ms acct has been hacked. Not only that, but they changed the recovery email, and phone. i dont think they got into any...
  4. Desperate need for tech help

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. i need help from a live tech

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    i need help from a live tech: please have a tech call me about getting rid of a trojan virus. i can not do it myself and have tried the thing that a tech gave me to do 207 478 9613 thank you jane...
  6. Have logs. Need help fixing this MS issue.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Have logs. Need help fixing this MS issue.: Error: 0xC1900101 - 0x30018 - the installation failed in the first_boot phase with an error during sysprep_specialize I cannot update my system. I cannot install any programs. I cannot refresh my OS Your updates have hosed my OS...
  7. Help needed to fix my audio drivers!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help needed to fix my audio drivers!: Hi, my Realtek Audio Console didn't work, so I looked for some solution on the internet. In the end, I downloaded and installed "Realtek UAD Generic 6.0.8900.1-2" and after restarting my pc, Audio Console is working, but the speakers won't play any music! What should I do?...
  8. Hardware error - Need Help From MS Pro tech guy!

Hardware error - Need Help From MS Pro tech guy!: I got this today again... First screen goes black or blanks sometimes then goes back to normal after few secs. Can MS pro tech guy find out what this means please and thanks. Give honest answer to the problem, all my drivers are fully updated. Also this started happening...
  9. Tech help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Tech help: This installation package could not be opened.Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package. I get this error trying to install the java Minecraft edition from...
  10. Need help to fix these drivers

Need help to fix these drivers: Hi guys, I have lenovo T400 laptop and I am using windows 10 pro on it and I want to know which drivers are missing on my laptop. [img] Regards. 57369