Windows 10: Need help getting Cortana to be less useless.

Discus and support Need help getting Cortana to be less useless. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Well, all that I was able to make Cortana do is show me the weather... I say "Hey Cortana", nothing happens. I need to actually press the microphone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

Need help getting Cortana to be less useless.

Well, all that I was able to make Cortana do is show me the weather...

I say "Hey Cortana", nothing happens. I need to actually press the microphone button to make her start listening.
    I say "Open windows update", she says "Try that again after future updates"
    I say "Open Google Chrome", she opens a bing search with "Open Google Chrome".

What's the stuff she's good at ?

So far, every time I tried an 'artificial human', either on the phone, either on my PC, that's supposed to be amazing and smart, there was always a problem. Not smart enough.

PS: Any way to work around her working in the foreground ? I mean, when she's doing something, if I Alt+Tab somewhere else she stops her work, and I find that pretty annoying.

:)

Marron, Apr 2, 2015

2. Cortana Alpha Canada, she seems to be getting less capable over time

No, it is still in Alpha testing, not even Beta testing. You can get it with the Developer Preview installed.

Mustang Carl, Apr 2, 2015
  3. Chanh S. Win User
    Cortana Alpha Canada, she seems to be getting less capable over time

Hi Carl,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. In regards to your concerns with Cortana and Canada, I'd like to go over a few things and see if it may help alleviate some of the issues you seem to be having with it.

So with Cortana, we'll want to try and clear some of her settings in the following order:

• First, turn off Cortana entirely.
    • Clear the history for Internet Explorer on your phone, and clear the temporary files under the Storage Sense App.
    • Turn off location services under Settings>Location.
    • On your computer, login to bing.com on your computer. Then go to the Gear icon in the upper right and go to Settings>Personalization. Clear the Cortana data you see here.
    • Going back to the phone now, do a power cycle by holding both the Power Button and Volume Down until the phone restarts.
    • When the phone back on, navigate to Settings>Email+Accounts, and then tap and hold your Microsoft Account and sync it.
    • When the account sync is done, turn on Location Services again and Cortana. When enabling Cortana again, try also deleting any interests you may have set on the phone and adding them back.
    Try again to search and see if this helps. Let us know how it goes for you and we'll go from there.

Regards,

Chanh S., Apr 2, 2015
  4. Edwin New Member

For me, Cortana is severely glitched right now. I suspect they are working to get it integrated further into the OS and Spartan properly.
    It's even buggered up on my Phone right now.
    Probably wait til there's news of improvements in a new Build or so.

Edwin, Apr 2, 2015
  5. Marron Win User
    Good to know there's no reason to try. Looks like I'll wait for a new build to use her.

Marron, Apr 2, 2015
  6. So far my experience with Cortana, when it works, is utter dismay. Speech recognition in 1998 worked better - at least you could tell it to open a word document and it would (after training it).

Cortana is good at opening Web pages - that's about it for now ... maybe it will get better, but if not I'll disable it in favor of a more useful search (third party is necessary).

Use settings on Cortana to turn it off, you can also tell it to stop learning about you in the Main Settings -> Cortana.

Slartybart, Apr 2, 2015
  7. Winuser Win User
    Cortana will sing and tell jokes.

Winuser, Apr 2, 2015
  8. Marron Win User

Well I never used a 'personal assistant' on my PC before, and I figured that if it's here, ready to be used, why not give it a try ? I'll just go back to typing for now. It's faster anyways. (she takes too long to do her stuff)

Marron, Apr 2, 2015
  9. Marron Win User
    That doesn't really make her less useless ...

Marron, Apr 2, 2015
  10. Hi

The main thing I'm using Cortana for right now is playing my music.
    I created a Cortana playlist with 10 hours of music in it, everything from Pavarotti to Willy Nelson, instrumental and what have you .

Now I just say "Hey Cortana, Play my music" and she replies Shuffling your music, or OK, playing your music and plays from the list at random.

It doesn't get boring because I never know what's going to come up next.
    Right now she's playing Peter Paul and Mary.

I can do this from the other side of the room if I'm sitting reading or something.

But you are right there isn't much that she can do right now.
    I want her to open software, take email dictation, and send it, etc.

She does do a pretty good job of searching the web, and some of her jokes are funny, I hope they keep updating with new ones.
    Maybe that's something that Microsoft could add, a way for people to submit jokes for Cortana, (Microsoft Approved of Course). LOL

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Apr 2, 2015
  11. Winuser Win User
    You did ask what she is good at.

Winuser, Apr 2, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    I found that to be rather disappointing, actually.
    They probably spent a lot of time and money programing the feature to respond to stupid questions with smart a** answers just to show 'her' off, but, to get 'her' to perform a gainful task!? Not there yet! *Sad

Edwin, Apr 3, 2015
  13. Winuser Win User

If MS is still trying for a release to OEMs by June, Cortana should start getting some major updates. If they want me to talk to my computer Cortana needs a lot of improvement. *Smile

Winuser, Apr 3, 2015
  14. Roger Win User
    Yeh, and I've heard she's ugly and wears army boots!

Roger, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Need help getting Cortana to be less useless. - Similar Threads - Need help getting

2. why is Cortana still useless?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is Cortana still useless?: I really really really want cortana to work, but it literally does nothing.I ask it to 'open word' and it says it cannot help with thatI ask it to play some music and it says the same sometimes it bing searches google play music - which is a service that doesn't even exist...
  3. why is Cortana still useless?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is Cortana still useless?: I really really really want cortana to work, but it literally does nothing.I ask it to 'open word' and it says it cannot help with thatI ask it to play some music and it says the same sometimes it bing searches google play music - which is a service that doesn't even exist...
  4. Why is cortana so useless?

in Cortana
    Why is cortana so useless?: it has NONE of the documented functionality. Notebook for example, ANYTHING that comes back from HELP, if you type it in, cortana just says "I cant do that" What is the point of this POS? where are the configuration instructions if these are needed?...
  5. IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - Help Needed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL - Help Needed: Hi, this is my second time posting on this forum in the past week, unfortunately my post got buried previously or no one knew how to help me and I am hoping this time I can find an answer. A few days ago I woke up to a BSOD on my pc, for the first time ever and it said "IRQL...
  6. Need help with Cortana

Need help with Cortana: It would appear that some time back I deleted Cortana from my Windows 10. I want to reinstate it, can it be reinstalled? 142040
  7. Need help with Cortana Crash

Need help with Cortana Crash: While Cortana seems to work from the taskbar, when I try to open the app to access settings, the app briefly flashes a purple screen but quickly disappears. running Windows 10 build 18985, release 190913-1426, just updated today....
  8. Cortana Useless

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cortana Useless: Got a new laptop and finally got Windows 10 to activate. Cortana doesnt respond AND I also want to print to a wireless printer direct like I do from my phone but all the directions talk about a network. I dont have a network nor do I have access to one. Can I print to an HP...
  9. Need Help with Cortana

Need Help with Cortana: Hello, I have a question on how to fix this. I have a Logitech Vx Revolution mouse and whenever I move the mouse, left click, or do any activity with it Cortana pops up. I thought maybe it was just the mouse, so I took it and plugged it into my dad's computer but it doesn't...
  10. Need help to disable Cortana

Need help to disable Cortana: I've disabled Cortana in the Group Policy, and restarted the PC, but still Cortana remains. When I used to have it disabled, a search icon appeared. Everything is disabled in the Cortana settings menu. Are there some other settings I should be aware of? [img] [img]...