Windows 10: Need help moving a legacy windows folder off my C drive

Discus and support Need help moving a legacy windows folder off my C drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running out of disk space on my C drive where Win10 Pro version 1511 is stored. I've attached a screenshot showing the C Drive (only 18GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Riotubes, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Riotubes Win User

Need help moving a legacy windows folder off my C drive

Hello,
    I'm running out of disk space on my C drive where Win10 Pro version 1511 is stored.
    I've attached a screenshot showing the C Drive (only 18GB free of 237GB).
    There is a folder called Windows.Old the purpose of which I can't recall. It's size is 16GB. One of the screenshots shows the contents of this drive. On that screenshot, of the folders listed, "Windows" contains 15.5GB, nearly all of the storage for this subfolder called Windows.Old. Note that I also have a "Windows" subfolder on the C drive that is 23.6GB in size and last dated 10/22/20 so I know this is the windows that is running the PC.
    As far as Windows.Old, I think it might have been my C drive on an older PC that I decided to move to this C drive.
    In any event, I don't think I need it (all subfolders are dated year 2015).
    I had planned to move this folder to Drive F which has over 3TB of capacity, but it won't copy over using a tool like Syncback (at least many of the files). I tried logging in as Admin and that didn't help.

Please help me, step-by-step, to transfer this Windows.old folder over to Drive F so I can free up C drive. Thank you!

:)

Riotubes, Oct 29, 2020
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Need help moving a legacy windows folder off my C drive ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Oct 29, 2020
  3. scopio Win User
    Moving Public Folder to another drive

I have been asked to install an HDD in a church pc which only has a 224GB SanDisk SSD which is running out of space.
    The problem I can foresee is that the church uses an application called SongPro which insists to install in the C:\Users\Programs File (x86) and the data files in the
    C:\Users\Public\SongPro5 folder and does not give the option to be installed software
    on another drive.
    I have searched the web if and how the Public folder can be moved to another drive and found that it can be done using the following steps;

1. COPY (don’t MOVE) the C:\USERS\PUBLIC folder to a different disk or partition
    2. Click the START button and type REGEDIT (not case sensitive) and press enter
    3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > MICROSOFT > WINDOWS NT > CURRENT VERSION > PROFILE LIST
    4. Double click on PUBLIC
    5. Correct the path
    6. Reboot the PC
    7. Go to C:\USERS\PUBLIC and delete everything
    Can someone here please confirm if the SongPro software is installed in C:\Users\Programs File (x86) (the SSD) and the path Public\SongPro5 folder moved to another folder will work?

Need help moving a legacy windows folder off my C drive [​IMG]

scopio, Oct 29, 2020
  4. edokie Win User

How do I move folders with photos and videos from the C:\ drive to other drives?

Yes that worked great. I have reduced the load on my C:\ drive by more than 100GB. My photos (Pictures) that were under C:\Users\Username\Pictures have now been moved to P:\Users\Username\Pictures, and the video that were on the C:\ drive in the folder C:\Users\Username\Videos
    have been moved to S:\Users\Username\Videos. I have many pictures (photos) on my P:\ drive that are in folders such as P:\Grandkids. Is this incorrect? Is it necessary or more correct to send these photo of grandkids to P:\Users\Username\Pictures\Grandkids?
    What does Windows consider a "personal folder", and why does it store information under C:\Users? Why does Windows do this, and if it is preferable, what is the advantage? Is the "Pictures" folder the same as the "Pictures" Library? Now that I've moved the
    C:\Users\Username\Pictures folder to P:\Users\Username\Pictures will Windows put all future photos in the last listed folder? Thank you excellent help and instructions.

edokie, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

1. Need help moving a legacy windows folder off my C drive - Similar Threads - Need help moving

2. Windows 10 PC - Need to move out files/folders from OneDrive to folders on C: drive, and...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 PC - Need to move out files/folders from OneDrive to folders on C: drive, and...: Windows 10 PC - Need to clear out all files/folders from OneDrive to folders on C: drive, and then disable OneDrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pc-need-to-move-out-filesfolders-from/c862fbde-841d-4f3a-9cc3-ea2b303c5d49
  3. Windows 10 PC - Need to move out files/folders from OneDrive to folders on C: drive, and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 PC - Need to move out files/folders from OneDrive to folders on C: drive, and...: Windows 10 PC - Need to clear out all files/folders from OneDrive to folders on C: drive, and then disable OneDrive. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-pc-need-to-move-out-filesfolders-from/c862fbde-841d-4f3a-9cc3-ea2b303c5d49
  4. Windows 10 PC - Need to move out files/folders from OneDrive to folders on C: drive, and...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I moved my my roaming folder to another drive and need help safely moving it back.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I moved my my roaming folder to another drive and need help safely moving it back.: I was looking for ways to free up some space on my C drive cause its quite small and read I could move my appdata folders to another drive. I only moved the roaming folder and not the local and locallow folder before realizing it was a bad move. Now all the files from my...
  6. I moved my my roaming folder to another drive and need help safely moving it back.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I moved my my roaming folder to another drive and need help safely moving it back.: I was looking for ways to free up some space on my C drive cause its quite small and read I could move my appdata folders to another drive. I only moved the roaming folder and not the local and locallow folder before realizing it was a bad move. Now all the files from my...
  7. I moved my my roaming folder to another drive and need help safely moving it back.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. I need help to Extend my C drive.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help to Extend my C drive.: I have 800GB Of unallocated space. However I would like to extend the C Drive by 60 GB. However then I cick on the C drive Partition. The "Extend" option is grayed out and I can't select it. submitted by /u/jedimaster1uke [link] [comments]...
  9. Moved my "Pictures" folder to user folder, help :c

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moved my "Pictures" folder to user folder, help :c: [ATTACH] Hi guys, I was trying to move my Pictures folder to my new user account and by accident I changed my whole user folder to the Pictures folder (lmao). I have no idea on how to fix this sht I hope you guys can help me pls....
  10. Need help with decompressing c drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with decompressing c drive: I was running disk cleaner on w10 and checked compress your os drive accidently. I tried decompress through c drive property option but everytime when trying to decompress i get error saying c:/swapfiles.sys is being used by another process. Ive tried restarting pc but same...