Windows 10: Need help prepping old computer for donation

Discus and support Need help prepping old computer for donation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an old Gateway MT6707 laptop. It started life with Windows Vista. It's been through every new version of Windows, to include Windows 10 Home.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Caesar3, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Caesar3 Win User

Need help prepping old computer for donation

I have an old Gateway MT6707 laptop. It started life with Windows Vista. It's been through every new version of Windows, to include Windows 10 Home. Microsoft surprised me by installing it overnight back when they were giving it away. A couple of years ago, I gave it a new solid-state drive, which improved its performance remarkably. Now I'm ready to let someone else have this machine, but I'm having trouble resetting it.

I tried going into the recovery environment, but it reported that it couldn't find it. I've tried two or three other approaches, including an attempt to use a recovery file loaded on a thumb drive. I've tried F8 from a start-up, but no joy there either.

Can someone please suggest a way to get this beast ready for someone else to use.

:)

Caesar3, Dec 10, 2019
  2. caperjack Win User

Prep for Donating My Computer

If you did real sensitive stuff, like banking and other very important things with your computer, then I suggest you take the hdd out and smash it up ,donate it with out the hdd...100% safest way

caperjack, Dec 10, 2019
  3. HDK W10 Win User

What can I do to protect myself before donating my computer?
    Need help prepping old computer for donation :)

HDK W10, Dec 10, 2019
  4. Winuser Win User

I would download a ISO of Windows 10 to a external HDD. Then I would use a program to securely erase all files on the HDD with the OS. I have used a program called Eraser. Then I would do a clean install of Windows 10 in a local account. If you have very sensitive data on your HDD then I would take the HDD out and donate the computer like that or replace the HDD with a drive that doesn't have any personal info.

Winuser, Dec 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Need help prepping old computer for donation - Similar Threads - Need help prepping

2. Old Guy Needs Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Guy Needs Help: I purchased a new computer for my wife's use. I went through set up but when done it is set up as my computer with Microsoft 365 Office, all the One Drive files etc. The log on is mine even though I set it up with my wife's name. I was thinking of trying a reset without...
  3. Old Guy Needs Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Guy Needs Help: I purchased a new computer for my wife's use. I went through set up but when done it is set up as my computer with Microsoft 365 Office, all the One Drive files etc. The log on is mine even though I set it up with my wife's name. I was thinking of trying a reset without...
  4. Preparing to donate old computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing to donate old computer: I have purchased a new computer and want to know if I clean delete all personal information from the older one, will it have any impact on the new computer?...
  5. Do I need to prep to replace motherboard?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do I need to prep to replace motherboard?: I'm replacing my motherboard and watched a video saying we don't need to reload windows ten like previous windows additions. But I'm unclear if we need any prep work before attempting the upgrade. Like, will any of my data from my SSD get wiped? I have a second SSD for saved...
  6. Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?

in Windows 10 Support
    Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?: Hi all, This community has become a very important and integral part of my life. Knowing this, I feel like making a donation would be the right thing to do. I've asked this in the past, but I thought things may have changed. Thank you. 166524
  7. Need help with old keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Need help with old keyboard: Keyboard: Roccat isku+ Hello. I want to use a extern keyboard on my laptop. It doesn't seem to reconise the drivers. I tried to uninstall the drivers. Update windows 10, install driver from Roccat website, and basically tried everything I found googling this issue. I...
  8. Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold: I have an old PC on which I have installed a fresh copy of the latest Windows 10 (Version 2004 OS Build 19041.450) while connected to my Microsoft account, and I have run a utility to securely erase all unused space on the disk. I plan to donate or sell the PC, and I...
  9. i need help with my old computer

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    i need help with my old computer: ok, so its a windows 10 local computer and i have forgotten the password, its really old but i got it to start i have a microsoft account computer that im using right now. so i cant make a reset password disk for my old computer, can anyone help? or tell me how to make one?...
  10. Prep for Donating My Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Prep for Donating My Computer: What can I do to protect myself before donating my computer? *Smile 48195