Windows 10: Need help re: win10 file structure

Discus and support Need help re: win10 file structure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My PC was fried and I bought a new one and had the store tech copy my data to it. In addition to the dead motherboard he said my old hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by way2ob2se, Sep 29, 2020.

1. way2ob2se Win User

Need help re: win10 file structure

My PC was fried and I bought a new one and had the store tech copy my data to it. In addition to the dead motherboard he said my old hard drive appeared to be "close to" failing as well, and that he had to do the restore several times. I seem to have all my data, but am confused about what my new File Explorer looks like. (Since it's a new desktop I want to start as clean as I can)

Main issue: Under This PC I have a Documents folder with a couple of files in it. Then, I have another Documents folder with most of my data in it. example:

This PC
    Documents
    File A
    File B
    File C
    Documents
    File D
    File E
    etc.

I want it to show as
    This PC
    Documents
    File A
    File B
    File C
    File D
    File E
    etc.

I have tried to "Move" the files into the top Documents, and I've tried "Copy/Paste" to do the same....but I'm still left with almost all my user data under Documents/Documents/Files; and I'm afraid I'm ending up creating duplicate or triplicate files.

And, because I needed more space (dummy me-I bought a new PC that had a smaller hard drive than my old one) The tech installed another drive and named it 2020 New Disc and it has all the same files in a nested Documents folder.

Perhaps the answer is easy and I'm just missing something. Panic mode does that to me.

Can anyone tell me how to get everything under one Documents folder instead of two levels?

WINVER = 1909 (Build 18363.1082)

:)

way2ob2se, Sep 29, 2020
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Sep 29, 2020
  3. File structure of windows 10

The Windows file and folder structure is exactly what you make it. When transferring pictures from one machine to the other then a simple way goes like this:

1. Drag the various folders from the old PC to a flash disk.
    2. Connect the flash disk to the new PC.
    3. Drag the flash disk folders into your Pictures library.
    In this way you end up with exactly the same folder structure as you had on the old PC.

Frederik Long, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Need help re: win10 file structure

help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Need help re: win10 file structure

1. Need help re: win10 file structure - Similar Threads - Need help win10

2. Need help with Folder Structure refinement in Win10 and Win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help with Folder Structure refinement in Win10 and Win11: We are using a server at work and all our workstations use either Win10 and Win11. I am needing to find a way to establish a hierarchy of folder "types", so that I can also later on batch edit certain folders across our server usually batch-adding new...
  3. Need help with Folder Structure refinement in Win10 and Win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need help with Folder Structure refinement in Win10 and Win11: We are using a server at work and all our workstations use either Win10 and Win11. I am needing to find a way to establish a hierarchy of folder "types", so that I can also later on batch edit certain folders across our server usually batch-adding new...
  4. Need help with Folder Structure refinement in Win10 and Win11

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File Structure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  6. File Structure

File Structure: Evidently, I am not alone in trying to understand Windows 11 file structure. I have OneDrive for Cloud storage. Took me a while to realize that "myname-Personal" file was the OneCloud file. I'm OK with this now for OneCloud, but I am thoroughly confused about the file...
  7. needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files

needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files: hi there, all of you with great knowledge of computer world let me tell you first of all that i am not a very computer savvy person. so plz dont mind if i cant explain it properly or if my question is stupidI want to copy a file and folder structure to another dummy folder...
  8. needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files: hi there, all of you with great knowledge of computer world let me tell you first of all that i am not a very computer savvy person. so plz dont mind if i cant explain it properly or if my question is stupidI want to copy a file and folder structure to another dummy folder...
  9. needs files and folder structured copied but with dummy files

10. Duplicates in File & Folders structure solution needed!

Duplicates in File & Folders structure solution needed!: Hallo Community, I need to find a solution for duplicate folders on an external hard drive that is being used by multiple people. I need to redesign the files & folders structure at my company. One of their requirements is that they don't want duplicate files & folders in...