Windows 10: Need help re: win10 file structure

Discus and support Need help re: win10 file structure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My PC was fried and I bought a new one and had the store tech copy my data to it. In addition to the dead motherboard he said my old hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by way2ob2se, Sep 29, 2020.

1. way2ob2se Win User

Need help re: win10 file structure

My PC was fried and I bought a new one and had the store tech copy my data to it. In addition to the dead motherboard he said my old hard drive appeared to be "close to" failing as well, and that he had to do the restore several times. I seem to have all my data, but am confused about what my new File Explorer looks like. (Since it's a new desktop I want to start as clean as I can)

Main issue: Under This PC I have a Documents folder with a couple of files in it. Then, I have another Documents folder with most of my data in it. example:

This PC
    Documents
    File A
    File B
    File C
    Documents
    File D
    File E
    etc.

I want it to show as
    This PC
    Documents
    File A
    File B
    File C
    File D
    File E
    etc.

I have tried to "Move" the files into the top Documents, and I've tried "Copy/Paste" to do the same....but I'm still left with almost all my user data under Documents/Documents/Files; and I'm afraid I'm ending up creating duplicate or triplicate files.

And, because I needed more space (dummy me-I bought a new PC that had a smaller hard drive than my old one) The tech installed another drive and named it 2020 New Disc and it has all the same files in a nested Documents folder.

Perhaps the answer is easy and I'm just missing something. Panic mode does that to me.

Can anyone tell me how to get everything under one Documents folder instead of two levels?

WINVER = 1909 (Build 18363.1082)

:)

way2ob2se, Sep 29, 2020
  2. pyramid10 Win User

Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Sep 29, 2020
  3. File structure of windows 10

The Windows file and folder structure is exactly what you make it. When transferring pictures from one machine to the other then a simple way goes like this:

1. Drag the various folders from the old PC to a flash disk.
    2. Connect the flash disk to the new PC.
    3. Drag the flash disk folders into your Pictures library.
    In this way you end up with exactly the same folder structure as you had on the old PC.

Frederik Long, Sep 29, 2020
  4. Need help re: win10 file structure

help to remote connect

not sure how to use both programs u 2 suggested, i need more helpful steps thanks

Corduroy_Jr, Sep 29, 2020
Thema:

Need help re: win10 file structure

1. Need help re: win10 file structure - Similar Threads - Need help win10

2. Windows 10 filing structure

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 filing structure: Can someone please explain the relationship between the various places from which photos may be accessed, eg This PC/Pictures or C/Users/John/Pictures? It seems to me that the contents of each are not identical. 158196
  3. I need help installing win10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I need help installing win10: Im running unbuntu atm and want to make a windows 10 bootable usb with my sandisk cruzer blade. I format to mbr Creat ntfs partition Copy the files contained in the iso to the usb Restart pc, boot to eufi sandisk Select language Then says no driver found submitted by...
  4. Need Help - Disk structure is corrupted and unreadable error windows 10

Need Help - Disk structure is corrupted and unreadable error windows 10: Need some help figuring out why the following is happening. I have a Vectotech 4 TB USC-C SSD that is connected to a USB-C port on my PC running windows 10. Multiple times now - after a reboot or other unknown issue - the drive becomes inaccessible with the above error...
  5. Need help with interpreting BSOD Win10

Need help with interpreting BSOD Win10: Recently updated my MB and CPU to a B450 and CPU to R5 3600. Windows 10 latest update. Every single driver and thing is updated from the latest available updates. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1gn3GxvHFTy52KuQHKMiXrcQSTmQyl-9w?usp=sharing I've had all these BSODs...
  6. Need help after re-install?

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help after re-install?: I had a bad experience with Macrium Reflect when trying to load a saved image ..... Anyway, I re-installed Windows (fresh install) and all is well, except I failed to backup one desktop photo for my dual display. My problem is that the photo in question is my favourite ....
  7. File structure of windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File structure of windows 10: I am so frustrated by the crazy windows file structure. I tried to transfer all of my photos from my old computer to the new one, but they all ended up in about 6 different locations. Plus my pictures on the old computer are in about 6 different locations too. I don't have...
  8. win10 bsod help needed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 bsod help needed: Hi, My win10 machine is crashing either just before or during boot. I have minidumps and tried turning on verifier but it was in safe mode so the offending drivers were probably not loaded. In the dumps I have it shows ntoskrnl.exe usually as the crashing module. I also saw...
  9. Need help with file attributes

in Windows 10 Support
    Need help with file attributes: Hi and thanks for adding me. I have been searching the internet like crazy and it seems no one knows what i'm asking for. I want to change the attribute to hidden for one file type. In particular .db files. I don't want to change one file, I want to change all. db files. Its...
  10. please help. trying to custom install win10, need to keep files.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    please help. trying to custom install win10, need to keep files.: I am part way through the custom installation process with win10 iso from media create tool. I want to keep the files, the total/free space for disk 0, volume 3 seems to indicate they are still there. Disk 0 Partition 1 - System Disk 0 Partition 2 - MSR (reserved) Disk 0...