Windows 10: Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD

Discus and support Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello guys. tomorrow, I'll be adding a new SSD to my laptop (SSD to the main disk drive and the old HDD to the optical(CD) drive, comment if anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/lel_73, Jun 26, 2020.

1. /u/lel_73 Win User

Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD

Hello guys. tomorrow, I'll be adding a new SSD to my laptop (SSD to the main disk drive and the old HDD to the optical(CD) drive, comment if anything is wrong over here)

anyways, I am wondering about whether or not to make partition beforehand with only and only windows OS files, so as to transfer the OS without any problems. also, please help me with this process as I am quite unfamiliar with it.

submitted by /u/lel_73
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/lel_73, Jun 26, 2020
  2. Darkmind Win User

partition cloning help!

Well I just bought a SATA seagate 320gb 7200.10 hard drive. I had to get a power adapter, but anyway. It's in as Drive F (did disk management). Now all I want to do is clone the partition from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. Copy windows and everything else over on my new hard drive, take out my old drive and then use the new drive as the primary C drive. I have norton ghost, and partition magic. I heard ghost is much better. Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? I think I know how, but I do NOT wanna take any chances here..

Darkmind, Jun 26, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Need help transferring my Windows install to an SSD

Hi folks

an easy way also is to get a USB2/3--->SATA connector so you can do the entire install to your SSD as an external drive and then simply install the new ssd and re-boot.

Connect the new ssd to a USB2/3 port via the connector for the CLONE operation.

Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD [​IMG]

on a 500GB SSD simply CLONE your old HDD (Free macrium is probably the easiest)

Now with a partition manager or similar increase the size of the partition on the new ssd to what you need.

This is one of the rare cases I'd recommend CLONE over IMAGE - with image in this case you need to image and restore - not forgetting system reserved partitions - and this is fiddly when simply using one HDD as you'll need to create a separate partition for the IMAGE.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 26, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Need help regarding cloning/partition/transfer to a new SSD - Similar Threads - Need help regarding

2. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  3. Help with Partitions on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with Partitions on a new SSD: Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk...
  4. Help with Partitions on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Help with Partitions on a new SSD: Hi guys i have just upgraded my laptop HD to a 1g SSD Is it safe to partition this ssd without loosing the operating system that's already installed, and if so what program do you recommend Must be easy to use a hopefully free as i will only need it once I could use the disk...
  5. New ssd, need help on how to transfer stuff

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New ssd, need help on how to transfer stuff: Following starting position: I had a ssd hdd setup with the ssd being only 110 GB and (supposed) reserved for Windows. Now it's completly full to the point I can't open an excel file. I bought a new ssd a while ago which I want to install now. Two questions: is 110 GB enough...
  6. New SSD install partition help.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New SSD install partition help.: Hello. I am installing a new ssd and I need help with the partitions. I purchased a WD Black SN750 1tb. I installed it in my laptop (Alienware M15). I downloaded the windows 10 disc image iso file on a USB. I am in windows setup and I selected custom install and I'm on the...
  7. New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help

New M2.SSD Clone SSD won't boot Help: Hi all, I have bought a new M2.SSD. I have used Macrium reflect softwer to clone my SSD to My new M2.SSD,I have cloned all the partitions but unfortunately My PC won't boot up I Have change it on The Bios and selected as first drive to boot from but still won't boot As...
  8. I need help transferring windows 10 to a new SSD

I need help transferring windows 10 to a new SSD: My old Hard drives got corrupted and I have new a new 1tb ssd coming today. Is there any way that I could clone only the os to the new ssd without also transferring the corrupted files? submitted by /u/mrawesome320 [link] [comments]...
  9. Need help on transferring Windows 10 to new SSD

Need help on transferring Windows 10 to new SSD: Just bought a 500GB m.2 ssd to replace my current 128GB drive. I created an image of my 128GB m.2 SSD using Macrium reflect and it is already saved on my second hard drive (1tb HDD). My laptop only has 1 m.2 slot. How can I restore the image of the 128GB ssd to my 500GB ssd...
  10. ssd cloning.... help

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    ssd cloning.... help: I am looking for some help as this is driving me crazy, I am attempting to upgrade a dell inspiron 3157 to a ssd. I cloned the drive with Acronis true 2014 (it came with the ssd). the clone was succesful but when i install into the bay I get error code 0x0000225 (failed to...