Windows 10: Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu

Discus and support Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I recently dual-booted ubuntu with Windows 10 . After messing around with Ubuntu, I booted back into Windows 10 and deleted the Ubuntu partition and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/notorious_kitten, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu

I recently dual-booted ubuntu with Windows 10 . After messing around with Ubuntu, I booted back into Windows 10 and deleted the Ubuntu partition and they were converted back to free space. Upon reboot, I got into a black screen with Grub > command line. Luckily , I was able to change the Boot Order to get Windows Boot Manager back on top of the list, instead of Ubuntu. I have already deleted the Ubuntu partitions. However, now the Ubuntu selection remains lingering in my Boot Menu. How can I remove it?

submitted by /u/notorious_kitten
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/notorious_kitten, Feb 11, 2021
  2. Alicia Win User

Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I am really interested in this. I could not install Linux and I don't know why. Was it so simple to install it? The linux I want to install is elementary OS, but I can install other one. How can I do it? Thanks!

Alicia, Feb 11, 2021
  3. Uplink10 Win User
    Can't disable UEFI boot on HP 250 G3

I got it, I was not accustomed to UEFI (because on HP 4540s I disabled it) and I automatically thought that if I boot from the first menu it will boot in UEFI mode, but I have to go to second menu "Boot From EFI File" to get a list of EFI boot options:

Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu IMG_1509375.jpg

I installed Ubuntu Mate and Windows 8.1 from the first menu (the picture) and they both installed in BIOS mode. Quite simple really.

Uplink10, Feb 11, 2021
  4. Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu

UEFI remove unwanted boot entries from BIOS solved easily

OK, FINALLY I figured it out. It would appear as though the last few people who used UEFI Shells died years ago, and I'm the only one left. But in case there exists a person who owns a Dell XPS 17 L702x system, here's how you delete boot entries from the BIOS.

Step 1. Download the Phoenix Technologies UEFI Shell: Dropbox - UefiShellX64.efi - Simplify your life

Step 2. Format a USB flash drive in FAT32, and create a folder named "EFI", and inside that, create another folder named "boot".

Step 3. Copy and paste the UEFI Shell utility into the boot folder, and rename the file "bootx64". The full path should look like this: EFI\boot\bootx64.efi

Step 4. Reboot your computer, and rapidly tap the "F12" key on your keyboard until you get to the Boot Menu. Scroll down to "Setup" and hit Enter.

Step 5. Now that you're in the BIOS, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to scroll to the Advanced tab. From there, scroll down to Boot Configuration. In Boot Configuration, set UEFI Boot to "Enabled" and Legacy Boot to "Disabled". Hit the Escape key to go back and then go to the Exit tab. Select the option to "Exit SAVING Changes", and go back to rapidly hitting that F12 key on your keyboard.

Step 6. Once at the Boot Menu, select your USB Mass Storage Device, and you'll boot into the UEFI Utility.

Step 7. From there, type: bcfg boot dump -b

This will display a list of boot entries. Take careful note of the "Option" numbers, and make note of the one that you want to delete. In my case, it was Option 05 with a description of "RAID Array". DO NOT CONFUSE OPTION NUMBERS WITH THE BOOT HEX NUMBERS!!! For example, Option 05 had a hex number of "Boot000A". Others will have such numbers as "Boot0005". That is NOT the number you want. You want the option number. It's a two character number after the word "Option". Hit the "Enter" key until the list has fully displayed.

Step 8. Once you know the Option number of which boot entry you want to delete, simply type this command:

bcfg boot rm XX (where XX is the Option number of the entry you want to delete).

For example, in my case, my RAID entry was Option 05. Therefore, my command looked like this:

bcfg boot rm 05

Step 9. Hold the power button to turn off your computer (I don't think there's a "shutdown" command for UEFI Shells).

Step 10. Turn your computer back on, and go back to rapidly tapping that F12 key while doing it. Once at the Boot Menu, go back into Setup. Once in the BIOS, go back to the Advanced Tab, scroll down to Boot Configuration, Set UEFI Boot to "Disabled" and Legacy Boot to "Enabled". Don't forget to exit saving changes.

And that should do the trick. Hopefully I helped at least one person with this post.

Crazy Gaston, Feb 11, 2021
Thema:

Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu

1. Need help removing Linux options from UEFI boot menu - Similar Threads - Need help removing

2. remove partitions that not needed from old linux

in Windows 10 Gaming
    remove partitions that not needed from old linux: i have ASUS tuf a15 and i used to have multiple Linux OS from different distros kali,Ubuntu,manjaro, etc. as dual boot now i want to remove the extra partitions to save space and i don't know which one to removethe unallocated is for new Linux i will install after solving...
  3. remove partitions that not needed from old linux

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    remove partitions that not needed from old linux: i have ASUS tuf a15 and i used to have multiple Linux OS from different distros kali,Ubuntu,manjaro, etc. as dual boot now i want to remove the extra partitions to save space and i don't know which one to removethe unallocated is for new Linux i will install after solving...
  4. how to remove fedora boot option frim uefi boot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to remove fedora boot option frim uefi boot: i had a linux fedora version installed on my main ssd with a partition i now want to use an external ssd but even after i deleted the os and removed the partition i still have an boot option in my uefi "bios" i tried removing it with the "bcdedit /enum frimware" but after a...
  5. how to remove fedora boot option frim uefi boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to remove fedora boot option frim uefi boot: i had a linux fedora version installed on my main ssd with a partition i now want to use an external ssd but even after i deleted the os and removed the partition i still have an boot option in my uefi "bios" i tried removing it with the "bcdedit /enum frimware" but after a...
  6. how to remove fedora boot option frim uefi boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 and Linux can only be booted from .EFI files in boot options menu: Recently I installed Zorin OS which is Ubuntu based on my 2014 HP Envy laptop, and although the BIOS was set to "Legacy", the linux install required the creation an efi partition. After this process, my laptop was only able to boot to a screen saying "No bootable device -...
  8. UEFI Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Boot Menu: I went into my UEFI boot menu yesterday to try to boot to a USB drive and noticed the kanji-looking characters in the screen shot provided. I couldn't use the up/down arrow keys to select a different boot device. The tab key would take me to the "Enter Setup" and "Boot...
  9. Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need help in changing BIOS settings from legacy boot to UEFI boot.: After running MBR2GPT on my system with a successful completion, I realized that I don't know how to change the BIOS from legacy to UEFI, resulting in the inability to boot the GPT'ed system. I was running Windows 10 Creator on an MBR system using an MSI H61M-E23 (version 2)...
  10. Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-install Windows from USB stick - UEFI option on boot menu: Hi all, I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my desktop system as I want to give it a good clear-out. I've created the Windows 10 boot media on a USB stick, and this is what I see on the UEFI BIOS F8 boot menu: [img] Previously on this system when...